PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

sterlippo1
11-27-2016, 09:07 AM
It was BC's idea, not Hockey East. We're not too crazy about it either!

how do you know that? My point was though the amount of Tuesday games is insane. We played on election night for Christ's sake. Yesterday the football team was in North Carolina. WIH was at Matthews and the basketball team in Brooklyn. Why not Minnesota at Conti Friday night and at Matthews Saturday night? or vice versa? So we go against the NFL yet again today. The whole thing is just hard to figure.

Agganis
11-27-2016, 10:12 AM
how do you know that? My point was though the amount of Tuesday games is insane. We played on election night for Christ's sake. Yesterday the football team was in North Carolina. WIH was at Matthews and the basketball team in Brooklyn. Why not Minnesota at Conti Friday night and at Matthews Saturday night? or vice versa? So we go against the NFL yet again today. The whole thing is just hard to figure.

HE scheduled the NU v BC series as a normal home and home next Friday/Saturday but BC had the teams move it to weekdays so that they could play UND in New York.

My guess on Minn is they didnt want to play back to back days if they were playing a rested team Saturday. Personally I'd prefer watching a game today than Black Friday, but neither are great.

TheRevengeance
11-27-2016, 12:53 PM
Can confirm that the Tuesday/Tuesday BC series was because BC scheduled UND over the weekend they were supposed to play us. I heard that story the day our schedule was released over the summer and it's the weekend we played last year, so it makes sense.

RossiRules
11-27-2016, 09:26 PM
Please what difference does it make when the game is played? NU v BC at BC any night at Conte isn't much of a draw. I bought tix for $5 bucks today for that Tuesday night game away at the Heights. The game at NU it isn't much better. Attendance is down at Matthews. Although the seats at NU are generally sold to about 60 to 70% of the seating chart, people just aren't showing up.

Cronin had it right. The games have to be free to students. Even at Conte where today two of the top teams in the nation battled for 60 minutes in a great game, I purchased a $3 seat 30 minutes before the game started and could sit wherever I wanted for a Sunday 1pm game that happened before many students had returned to campus form Thanksgiving break.

The stands about 1/4 full with many families just trying to get out of their homes after 4 days home with their kids. Anyway, Tuesday, Friday or Saturday we will need to play better because the BC team I saw today is much better than us and the Minnesota team I saw today was not the team we beat on Friday. I believe that if we had played them today we would have lost because the Gophers were skating with authority and purpose and were firing on all cylinders.

Do you think BU would even sell out without that grandfathered liquor license from prohibition that flies directly in the face of NCAA regs, heck even they would have trouble selling out hockey because nobody cares about it but us morons on this site. In Boston there is simply far to many other things to do. In Maine with 5k seats in the middle of nowhere its a night on the town.

J.D.
11-27-2016, 11:12 PM
I am thinking sellouts are down across the board...all over the country.

Agganis
11-28-2016, 09:37 AM
Please what difference does it make when the game is played? NU v BC at BC any night at Conte isn't much of a draw. I bought tix for $5 bucks today for that Tuesday night game away at the Heights. The game at NU it isn't much better. Attendance is down at Matthews. Although the seats at NU are generally sold to about 60 to 70% of the seating chart, people just aren't showing up.

Do you think BU would even sell out without that grandfathered liquor license from prohibition that flies directly in the face of NCAA regs, heck even they would have trouble selling out hockey because nobody cares about it but us morons on this site. In Boston there is simply far to many other things to do. In Maine with 5k seats in the middle of nowhere its a night on the town.

I mean, Tuesday vs Saturday will obviously impact attendance to a degree, even though I would not have an issue making it either today if it were my team, but if I had kids maybe it would prevent me from going. The larger point (and why I replied) is don't complain about Hockey East scheduling all these weekday games, when they scheduled them for the weekend and the team(s)'s decided to move them to weekdays. As far as I know the only weekday game played by NU, BU, or BC that is HE's "fault" is BU v BC on MLK day.

Also BU has not been selling out games this year alcohol or not, although if the beer was free maybe they would be. ;)

NU_Husky
11-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Minnesota recap: http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/2016/recap-huskies-come-back-beat-gophers-dylan-sikura-hat-trick/

northeastern
11-28-2016, 09:53 AM
Minnesota recap: http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/2016/recap-huskies-come-back-beat-gophers-dylan-sikura-hat-trick/

nice work on the recap. i have to add.. 5x5 they can make it a game on any night & skate. they have to be disciplined about the unforced errors/ penalties. If they can play with that discipline.. will be in a lot of gms & Ruck or Theut with their homework done & we can be very good.

Tater
11-28-2016, 10:47 AM
grandfathered liquor license from prohibition that flies directly in the face of NCAA regs

That's simply not true.

Scarlet
11-28-2016, 11:36 AM
That's simply not true.

Apparently he hasn't traveled to the other rinks that now serve beer.

sterlippo1
11-28-2016, 01:33 PM
HE scheduled the NU v BC series as a normal home and home next Friday/Saturday but BC had the teams move it to weekdays so that they could play UND in New York.

My guess on Minn is they didnt want to play back to back days if they were playing a rested team Saturday. Personally I'd prefer watching a game today than Black Friday, but neither are great.

Can confirm that the Tuesday/Tuesday BC series was because BC scheduled UND over the weekend they were supposed to play us. I heard that story the day our schedule was released over the summer and it's the weekend we played last year, so it makes sense.

thank you for the explanation, both of you........... I had a legit question so not sure what idiot gave me neg rep for asking. Jesus, what a moron.............and moron, at least identify yourself, you a-hole. God almighty, what a cowardly jerk

TheRevengeance
11-28-2016, 01:41 PM
It is what it is. I'm also annoyed that we have to play that particular home game on an odd-day, but we also partner with BC for some other things like getting the two Minnesota games at Matthews (and we have more paired series with BC scheduled for the coming years) so I guess you take the losses with the wins every once and a while.

HHound
11-28-2016, 02:28 PM
thank you for the explanation, both of you........... I had a legit question so not sure what idiot gave me neg rep for asking. Jesus, what a moron.............and moron, at least identify yourself, you a-hole. God almighty, what a cowardly jerk

I have no idea why anyone would do that, but please feel free to visit and ask any question you want (except, perhaps, a question concerning when our guys will skate around the Garden with the Beanpot. might be a little sensitive:( )

Split-N
11-28-2016, 05:53 PM
I am thinking sellouts are down across the board...all over the country.

Your thinking is correct. I'm far, far removed from the millennial generation but I do try to keep tabs on societal and cultural changes. What I'm seeing among a sizeable segment of high school and college kids is a growing indifference to--or even antipathy toward--interscholastic/intercollegiate sports. A lot of reasons for this but among them is the emergence of so-called "E-sports," which keeps kids glued to their Xboxes/Playstations more than ever. That plus social media, Netflix, blah, blah, blah.

UML Puck Hawk
11-28-2016, 06:00 PM
A lot of reasons for this but among them is the emergence of so-called "E-sports," which keeps kids glued to their Xboxes/Playstations more than ever.

Not looking to get in an argument, but the vast majority of people I know who follow E-sports also follow regular sports. I stopped following the pro LoL scene about a year and a half ago because I lost interest in the game in general, but even when I was watching weekly it was mostly on a second monitor as white noise while I did other things (similar to baseball).

northeastern
11-28-2016, 06:16 PM
..just look at the smaller kids that do go.. the game is going on right in front of them.. could be Bruins, Huskies.. whomever.. they've got heads buried in their phones.. will cheer on & off otherwise its instagram/.. the chat apps.. whatever.. and these the ones that are somehow convinced/ dragged/.. to go.
a whole other section does not want to go in the first place.. just not interested. for sure troubling..

..we do it to ourselves!

northeastern
11-28-2016, 06:19 PM
..just look at the smaller kids that do go.. the game is going on right in front of them.. could be Bruins, Huskies.. whomever.. they've got heads buried in their phones.. will cheer on & off otherwise its instagram/.. the chat apps.. whatever.. and these the ones that are somehow convinced/ dragged/.. to go.
a whole other section does not want to go in the first place.. just not interested. for sure troubling..

..we do it to ourselves!

oh yeah.. & did i mention for some of us diehards who do go on several wknds (if not all).. they schedule it on back to back Tuesday nights.. ;)

NU_Husky
11-29-2016, 03:34 PM
Preview featuring commentary from our friends at BC Interruption http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/2016/preview-boston-college-eagles-hockey-northeastern-huskies-colin-white-ryan-fitzgerald-bc-interruption/

NU_Husky
11-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Same personnel as Minnesota and PC2, but Filipe is now the RW1 with ZAR and Stevens, switching places with Schule, who is on a line with Pond-Collier. I like this look a lot.

RossiRules
11-29-2016, 08:12 PM
Apparently he hasn't traveled to the other rinks that now serve beer.

Yes but its not the norm, for NCAA sports only 34 college football stadiums allow it now. And of the 60 or so college hockey teams less than 20 have any alcohol. NU has a liquor lic. at Matthews that apples to the walls within the Varsity Club only, you cant take lcohol out the door of that room. BC has no alcohol at any games that I am are of and Boston proper has regs that generally prevent it. So I do know! I worked on floating the Bonds that built the Sports Complex and Student Village at BU. BU acquired a lic. form the days of the Boston Braves (now of Atlanta) at the location of Nickerson Field, for years they were the only college team with brews, that lic. was transferred and blocked by the NCAA in 2009, Hancock’s position in the project restored that lic. to the current location thru some legal workings in the development and thru its contractual obligation with Delaware North.

Also 1st period tonight 4 shots.