PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Gr8Sk8M8
11-14-2016, 09:14 AM
(T)oo bad we couldnt get the darn 3rd in.. kids were playing much better than last night. goalie looked great as well.

A goalie actually stopping a puck makes everyone look better. D was still awful...too many second chances that should not have been. Thought forwards played the same. ZAR, Gaudette and Sikura all looked very good. The rest...meh...none less than Collier and Pond.

BTW, what is it with Gaudette and his tunnel vision? Second period he breaks in with ZAR and Sikura...ZAR set up for one timer...Sikura flows in behind for a drop. Instead he shoots from high slot that Peterson swallows up. He needs to use his linemates.

On the PP, why bother have to have ZAR in the low slot when no one even attempts to give him the puck or shoot it for a tip?

Gr8Sk8M8
11-14-2016, 09:16 AM
I love Schule but somebody had made a comment that he falls down all the time. I was watching the game online and definitely noticed he does indeed fall all over the place. Gave me a good laugh, all in good fun.

Schule or Pond?

Split-N
11-14-2016, 09:28 AM
...BTW, what is it with Gaudette and his tunnel vision? Second period he breaks in with ZAR and Sikura...ZAR set up for one timer...Sikura flows in behind for a drop. Instead he shoots from high slot that Peterson swallows up. He needs to use his linemates...

I've noticed the same thing and not just in this series. It's one of many reasons I find myself unexpectedly reaching for the panic button.

Gr8Sk8M8
11-14-2016, 09:44 AM
I've noticed the same thing and not just in this series. It's one of many reasons I find myself unexpectedly reaching for the panic button.

I really hadn't noticed it all that much until the second BU game when NU's first PP unit scheme seemed to be him holding onto the puck until he shot it.

One of the people around me was apoplectic about it on Saturday.

NU_Husky
11-14-2016, 10:07 AM
So Johnny is back the weekend (probably), Kurker out until the New Year, same as Nolan. At least the start of that sentence is good news.

I have to agree with a lot of what has been said here. Finally the 8/9/12 line was put together, though maybe a game or two too late. They are the players that need to get on the ice more and more, and that just didn't happen. Gaudette does seem to have developed some tunnel vision, I noticed it this weekend more than others. Split N is very right about that. I also agree with GSM on Smith. Just not seeing the improvement needed or expected.

I reaffirm what I said about Theut. I wanna see him in net Friday night against PC.

Gr8Sk8M8
11-14-2016, 10:53 AM
Finally the 8/9/12 line was put together, though maybe a game or two too late.

To say that I was shocked when I was told ZAR was practicing with Collier/Pond and Schule for Friday's game would be an understatement.

You've lost three of your Top 6 (I'm including Kurker) and your response is to put your top scorer with a case of Lite Beer and a roll of tape?

J.D.
11-14-2016, 11:26 AM
Finishing this game just seems a little odd to me, will be interesting to see the decision. I think they will just call it a tie.

NU_Husky
11-14-2016, 03:18 PM
Copied from my post on DHD

Two things that are sticking out to me like sore thumbs are the absolute incompetence the team is showing at faceoffs and the apparent allergy some players have to shooting the puck on net.

For shots: We have played 10 games, and 4 players who have played every game have under 10 shots. Three of those players are forwards: Collier (9), Pond (8), and Lerario (2). In addition, Kurker has 4 SOG in 5 games, John Stevens has 6 SOG in 5. These are all key forwards who are not putting the puck on net, and that is an issue. The old adage of "put the puck on net and good things will happen" cannot come true if shots are not being taken. Of the 6 players with over 20 SOG, three are defensemen. That tells me that the offense isn't being driven via the forwards, again an indictment of our supposed "depth." Where is the offensive drive of Filipe, our new shiny toy drafted in round 3? Where are the dirty goals traditionally scored by a 4th line? throw a puck on net, scrum around a rebound, and bang it home. Seeing the 4th line out there is a guaranteed 45 seconds of puck chasing and cycling, with no hope for offense.

Faceoffs: They aren't good. We have one player who has won over 50% of his draws: John Stevens (58/113, or 51.34%). The next closest is ZAR, t 49.28% but only in 69 faceoffs. Gaudette is 46.44% (267 taken, by far the most). Pond is actually at 45.6% in 103 draws. Collier is atrocious. 37.41% in 139 draws. Losing faceoffs means not having the puck, and losing draws in the offensive zone means losing shot chances, and losing defensive zone draws means facing more shot attempts. I don't know who coaches faceoffs or how they work on them, or if the players themselves just aren't good at them, but between these 5 players they winning only 45.6% of draws. That just won't cut it against the better teams they play.

TheRevengeance
11-14-2016, 03:32 PM
I also noticed that with Gaudette for the first time this weekend. We need shooters desperately, but he doesn't even look around most of the time. Unfortunate development, but I guess that's what happens when you play with Dylan "Sniper who doesn't actually shoot the puck" Sikura and right wing combinations that included John Picking, Ryan Rosenthal, and Mike Jamieson.

Gr8Sk8M8
11-14-2016, 03:57 PM
Copied from my post on DHD

Two things that are sticking out to me like sore thumbs are the absolute incompetence the team is showing at faceoffs and the apparent allergy some players have to shooting the puck on net.

You make some good points. In my opinion, the only faceoffs that really count are in your D zone on the PK and I'd like to see those stats. ZAR, once again, had a HUGE faceoff win during the 5 on 3. Collier got picked clean several times during the PK. If you have an effective forecheck you should be able to overcome a faceoff loss in the offensive zone.

Part of the problem as to why faceoff losses are a bit more glaring with us is, first, the lack of a sustained forecheck and, secondly, especially on the PP, the inability of the Defense to get back to the weak side to stop either the breakout or the clear. Collier isn't a Centre at this level. He should be on the Wing. He is grossly out of position and has been since he's been here.

As for shooting, I agree wholeheartedly with one exception. JStevens is a set-up guy. He bangs, gains possession and dishes the puck. He's never been a shooter not here or in the USHL.

NU_Husky
11-14-2016, 04:09 PM
You make some good points. In my opinion, the only faceoffs that really count are in your D zone on the PK and I'd like to see those stats. ZAR, once again, had a HUGE faceoff win during the 5 on 3. Collier got picked clean several times during the PK. If you have an effective forecheck you should be able to overcome a faceoff loss in the offensive zone.

Part of the problem as to why faceoff losses are a bit more glaring with us is, first, the lack of a sustained forecheck and, secondly, especially on the PP, the inability of the Defense to get back to the weak side to stop either the breakout or the clear. Collier isn't a Centre at this level. He should be on the Wing. He is grossly out of position and has been since he's been here.

As for shooting, I agree wholeheartedly with one exception. JStevens is a set-up guy. He bangs, gains possession and dishes the puck. He's never been a shooter not here or in the USHL.

Unfortunately I don't have the zone faceoff stats, I don't think those exist anywhere in the college hockey world. I got my numbers just by adding from the box score.

Stevens, while I acknowledge is not a shooter (that's more his brother), is still on pace to have his lowest, or second lowest, depending on rounding, shot total while at NU. He definitely is more the passer, but he's also one of the best players on the team and gets the ice time, so I'd want him to put it on net to at least start causing some pressure and rebounds for his teammates to work with

NU_Husky
11-14-2016, 04:17 PM
Cayden Primeau has signed his NLI for next season

scorer
11-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Cayden Primeau has signed his NLI for next season

Thanks for the update. That is very good news

NU_Husky
11-15-2016, 05:09 PM
For as crappy a stat as +/- is, take a gander at this. We have 6 players who are positive in +/-. In order:
Griffin, Cecere, Gaudette, Sikura, Nolan, Filipe.

So, judging off that and applying that to this weekend, the top lines should be:

17-18-12
9-8-19

I'm seeing this as similar to when Szmatula was here and we debated super line with ZAR/Roy/Szmatula or space out the talent. And as we saw then, things went well when they were together. I am in this camp now. Talent needs to play with talent. We do not have an Eichel or Gaudreau or even a Roy that can carry a whole line. Talent needs to play with talent to produce and we can have 2 scoring threat lines and 2 checking/defense/chip in lines as we wait for Kurker/Nolan/Jozefek to return from injury.

beanstalk
11-16-2016, 09:11 AM
For as crappy a stat as +/- is, take a gander at this. We have 6 players who are positive in +/-. In order:
Griffin, Cecere, Gaudette, Sikura, Nolan, Filipe.

So, judging off that and applying that to this weekend, the top lines should be:

17-18-12
9-8-19

I'm seeing this as similar to when Szmatula was here and we debated super line with ZAR/Roy/Szmatula or space out the talent. And as we saw then, things went well when they were together. I am in this camp now. Talent needs to play with talent. We do not have an Eichel or Gaudreau or even a Roy that can carry a whole line. Talent needs to play with talent to produce and we can have 2 scoring threat lines and 2 checking/defense/chip in lines as we wait for Kurker/Nolan/Jozefek to return from injury.

The +/- stat is particularly useless this year, as statistician errors happen too often and are never corrected. Case in point: In the first game of the year, the statistician had Owens and Schechter on the ice for the second Quinnipiac goal instead of Williams and Gaudette. The funny part is that you can actually see Williams and Gaudette as the two Huskies closest to the puck when the goal goes in on the highlights (it was Williams' man who pounded home the rebound). Yet, the errors are never corrected and no, it doesn't even out over the course of the season. See for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvslN_EQQes

NU_Husky
11-16-2016, 09:51 AM
The +/- stat is particularly useless this year, as statistician errors happen too often and are never corrected. Case in point: In the first game of the year, the statistician had Owens and Schechter on the ice for the second Quinnipiac goal instead of Williams and Gaudette. The funny part is that you can actually see Williams and Gaudette as the two Huskies closest to the puck when the goal goes in on the highlights (it was Williams' man who pounded home the rebound). Yet, the errors are never corrected and no, it doesn't even out over the course of the season. See for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvslN_EQQes

Not saying decisions should be made using +/- and nothing else, more of a "look at the guys who have it in the positive and then compare to how they are used on the ice." Merely a conversational tool to encourage the talented players on the team play with the other talented players.

Thiessen'sBetter
11-16-2016, 02:07 PM
D-man Jordan Harris, born in 2000 (wow, do I feel old) committed yesterday.

Mark Bilotta ‏@mbilotta

00 D Jordan Harris (NU) makes smart decisions with/without the puck. Excellent skater with an active stick mixed with physicality: big get.

NU_Husky
11-16-2016, 03:17 PM
D-man Jordan Harris, born in 2000 (wow, do I feel old) committed yesterday.

Mark Bilotta ‏@mbilotta

00 D Jordan Harris (NU) makes smart decisions with/without the puck. Excellent skater with an active stick mixed with physicality: big get.

Further information: http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/2016/jordan-harris-commits-northeastern-kimball-union-youngstown-phantoms-tim-whitehead-jim-madigan/

Want to feel older? The twins that committed a week back are '01s. NU have 3 '01s committed.

HHound
11-16-2016, 04:55 PM
To say that the line combos Friday were absolutely moronic would be a disservice to how they were deployed. You have three top forwards in the NCAA, let alone HE, why are they getting 18 minutes a game going against teams where the Top Line guys are getting 24-26? There was a 4 - 5 minute stretch in the 2nd period where neither ZAR nor Sikura made the ice and then you have them out for the Pity Shift in the 3rd.

Unbelievable.

I need to state that I am absolutely disappointed how none of the newer/3rd-4th line players have stepped up. Filipe has all but disappeared. Lerario is doing pirouettes. Picking is allergic to body contact. Pond can't take three steps without falling down. Jamison had a real chance to show that he could channel that energy into some constructive play. Pffft...nothing...

Gr8Sk8
Your information is pretty good, although it sounds like it comes out of the locker room (not always objective), but one part of this post made no sense to me. Are you watching the line changes with a stopwatch as members of the staff do? What makes you think that the first line is being shorted on PT? FYI I checked with a source who really does track these things. He indicated that during the first two periods on Sunday, Gaudette's line logged about 16+ minutes - which would have probably been 24+ minutes had there been a third period

IMHO, our kids played a pretty good game on Sunday against an ND team that was at least as strong a as the bu team(especially without Keller). They had three balance lines, were healthy from top to bottom, seemed physically stronger and had the pre-season first string goaltender who was on his game. The 4th line that hasn't produced any goals is really the fifth line getting ice time due to injuries to two top players and two lesser skaters. Picking has a history as a scorer, and Pond, is a checker and disrupter. They have contributed by pestering opponents into drawing at least a half dozen penalties (while the PP guys were resting on the bench. Also Pecararo, who has D1 experience, can't play until the Clarkson game. He was penciled in as the LW on Gaudette's line. The rest of the lines are so scrambled that they are far less effective than they might be when the players get to know their linemates" habits.

The D has been OK most of the time. If they were perfect, no one would score on us. The freshman are as advertised, but they will make mistakes as the acclimate to the D1 game. So will Cockerill :eek: We can agree that Ruck's goaltending has been disappointing, which cast a pall over the team's play and its results.

The most interesting thing about Sunday was Theut's debut. Some of the "fully mature" posters may remember ~1985 when Bruce Racine came into a game to relieve Timmy Marshall. By the end of that game, many of the fans were saying to themselves, "Wow! This kid can really play!!". He went on to set all kinds of school records and had a long professional career. I'm not saying that lighting is striking twice, but it is nice to know that we may have two serviceable goaltenders. The kid never touched the ice for two years. It was great to see how well he played when he finally got his chance. Hopefully we see him again - at least until someone manages to score on him.;)

boblav1
11-16-2016, 05:03 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sunday's Notre Dame-Northeastern game will be officially recorded as a tie. Game was suspended after 2 periods due to zamboni issues.</p>&mdash; Mike McMahon (@MikeMcMahonCHN) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahonCHN/status/799007688780894210">November 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres1617/201611/nov16hea.php