• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2016-2017 Season: Go Cats Go!

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    Underrated comment
    I thought it was brilliant, actually.
    Obviously none of the 9 players who sit out every game are commenting!

Comment

[QUOTE=pokecheckguy;6384561]UVM is now doing this because they finally realized after long years that they cannot fundraise the money for it because not enough people with big pockets care and they will not get state funding and the South Burlington plan is pretty much already dead. They have no choice but to renovate simply have no money to build a new arena and never will. Been talking about it for 15 years with no progress and in the process let facilities rot because Corran was hellbent on the arena being his legacy and couldn't get it done. No such thing as the right thing here when you have no money to do the "right thing"]

I'm not sure that first part is true at all. Has it been reported anywhere? The idea of a Burlington arena is far fetched, but SB is going to start building that downtown once they approve the TIF funding (which will probably happen Tuesday) and the current owner of the Umall property would love to have an arena as part of his renovation plans. In an affluent suburb like SB, which is full of hockey fans and alums they could easily get public funding approved.

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy View Post
        I will sum my point here in the key word in all of this: RENOVATION

Why is a Senior VP, the new athletic director, and the hockey coach (who in past years has routinely **** on the facilities his team plays in) now using the word RENOVATE?

Because the arena plan is dead for likely the next 30 years. thats why. Need to move the focus to making what they have better even when it should have been done long ago because they see a goal they cannot reach and allowing the continued rotting of Patrick and Gutterson cannot go on so they must come up with a solution and appease the base who is going to get sick of it (season tix numbers are way down, basketball hasn't sold out a regular season game in years) - all because people dont like the facilities and they have used up all public trust that a new building is on horizon

Frankly about time they started being truthful with this arena process, and renovation is the first step to admitting that it won't be done.
        Ahhh...I should have read more of the thread before commenting.

I think your assessment is a bit jaded, but hey we're UVM fans so we're all a bit jaded. The university would love for these "updates" to drum up some fundraising, but in Chittenden County the largest community has a developer mayor who is looking to build downtown and the second largest community is looking to build a city center full of attractions which will be able to pull away people from Church Street. Both sides have motivation to build and UVM can sit and wait for a deal that works for them. It's all hopeful conjecture, but I don't think it's THAT far fetched.

Also at this point I don't know that renovating Gutterson in way that makes is viable for the long term would really be that much cheaper and Patrick is just so below average even in America East.
        Last edited by CatClass08; 11-03-2016, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Kool aid drinker. Ask people who know UVM athletics has done a very poor job holding up its end of the bargain to reach the $65-70 million price tag needed. They dont even have half of the money despite them leading people for years to believe it is close.
          Never in previous discussion did UVM mention renovation - read current stories includng that 7 days article Gustovson mentions renovation now Schulman is talking renovation and did at basketball season ticket pickup and now Sneddon -- this is clear shift in the story aka they do not and will not get the money so need to turn focus to making what they have better.

Media has nothing to do with it - as always been stated UVM must raise from private donation to build the facility and funds from Moving Mountains not directly headed to arena - read the plan - arena is mentioned, but as a separate goal.
          I will sum my point here in the key word in all of this: RENOVATION

Why is a Senior VP, the new athletic director, and the hockey coach (who in past years has routinely **** on the facilities his team plays in) now using the word RENOVATE?

Because the arena plan is dead for likely the next 30 years. thats why. Need to move the focus to making what they have better even when it should have been done long ago because they see a goal they cannot reach and allowing the continued rotting of Patrick and Gutterson cannot go on so they must come up with a solution and appease the base who is going to get sick of it (season tix numbers are way down, basketball hasn't sold out a regular season game in years) - all because people dont like the facilities and they have used up all public trust that a new building is on horizon

Frankly about time they started being truthful with this arena process, and renovation is the first step to admitting that it won't be done.
          I'm not seeing where you are bringing in anything that even remotely suggest you are correct. But hey, it's your opinion so have at it. I'll agree to disagree.
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
            There will always be an athletic facility on campus so of course the current facilities will be renovated. It is a question of scale. The current facilities would become practice facilities if UVM can get Burlington or South Burlington to underwrite the construction of a game day arena. If the surrounding communities aren't willing to foot most of the construction bill then I wouldn't be surprised to see another Gutterson expansion to extend the upper seats on the ends around the sides.
            The women's team will continue to play at Gutterson with a new arena.

Comment

Originally posted by CatClass08 View Post

I'm not sure that first part is true at all. Has it been reported anywhere? The idea of a Burlington arena is far fetched, but SB is going to start building that downtown once they approve the TIF funding (which will probably happen Tuesday) and the current owner of the Umall property would love to have an arena as part of his renovation plans. In an affluent suburb like SB, which is full of hockey fans and alums they could easily get public funding approved.
              Burlington would like to put it where Memorial currently is. With the new town center going in it would be a good addition. That said I still think it will and should go in SBTV.

Comment

As a visiting fan, I both disappointed and totally unsurprised. There just doesn't seem to be political will to even try, even from this outsider. I feel bad for you guys as this is basically dooming you guys to status quo (mediocrity?). I love visiting Burlington, I hate watching games in the Gut. It's a drafty, frigid building not much better than a high school rink (and more than a few high schools have much better ones).

Too bad your hockey alum don't step up and pledge funds for matching donations. That would prompt others to step up as well.

Good luck
                Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
                  Too bad your hockey alum don't step up and pledge funds for matching donations. That would prompt others to step up as well.

I think the main problem is the administration...and on ice product. A decade ago when talk began Gutterson was sold out every game and the waiting list for ticket holders was 600-700 long. It took several years to get season tickets. At one point the sell out streak was 70+ and came to end only on Super Sunday when the Pats were playing.

Alas, fast forward and now a days the stands are usually mostly full but there is no waiting list anymore and there regularly tickets available for most every game. The commitment to the program has declined as several Presidents (granted some were interim) have gone through and priorities have changed. Local politics have also had an impact as Burlington want's more and more on campus housing. As such the University has been forced to use more and more capital funding to increase dorms, taking it away from a new arena. If Fogel was still president I think you'd already see a new arena on campus. It's the reality of today.

I still think an arena will be built in the near future, probably in South Burlington. But there are some things that would go along way towards that goal. For starters a few good seasons to revive interest in the on ice product. It really hasn't been there since the days of Mitchell, Stalberg, Strong, Madore, etc. With a few good seasons you would see more interest. Another thing that would help is a actual effort put into raising funds. For example, this summer we had the 1996-1997 team play other alumns. The Gutt was pretty well packed. A few of those could bring in significant money towards a new arena. Selling alcohol with proceeds going to a new arena fund would generate significant money as well. It could be done, but the current administration doesn't have that same focus on athletics that previous admins did. They would prefer a private developer do it, so we wait. There will be a clearer picture come Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
                    As a visiting fan, I both disappointed and totally unsurprised. There just doesn't seem to be political will to even try, even from this outsider. I feel bad for you guys as this is basically dooming you guys to status quo (mediocrity?). I love visiting Burlington, I hate watching games in the Gut. It's a drafty, frigid building not much better than a high school rink (and more than a few high schools have much better ones).

Good luck
                    I grew up in Vermont just a short drive from Hanover, NH. I've seen way more games at Dartmouth than the Gutt, and have to say Thompson Arena is the coldest place I've ever watched hockey. It can be downright bone-chilling on a cold night. The Gutt obviously has a lot of issues, but I've never considered the inside temperature to be one of them.

Comment

I'd be seriously bummed if UVM thinks a renovation is the solution to the arena problem. Someone said before this has been going on for 15 years. Actually, it's been going on WAY LONGER than that. Over the years there have been enough studies, reports, task forces, committees to make the US Congress blush. I remember when the Gutt was last renovated ('87 or '88???) and seats were added (among other things) at the end that used to be open. There was talk of a new arena back then and they decided to renovate instead. I'm completely baffled as to why this is seemingly so difficult when so many other schools (including ones with little hockey history) are routinely building state-of-the-art arenas. UVM is a hockey school, that's our thing, and the greater BTV area loves hockey! Enough already, it's time to shut up and do it!

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                        I grew up in Vermont just a short drive from Hanover, NH. I've seen way more games at Dartmouth than the Gutt, and have to say Thompson Arena is the coldest place I've ever watched hockey. It can be downright bone-chilling on a cold night. The Gutt obviously has a lot of issues, but I've never considered the inside temperature to be one of them.
                        If you're comparing to Thompson, of course you think the Gut is fine *laugh* You're right about Thompson. I outright refuse to go there anymore
                        Gary

www.umlhockey.com

"It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                        KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                          I think the main problem is the administration...and on ice product. A decade ago when talk began Gutterson was sold out every game and the waiting list for ticket holders was 600-700 long. It took several years to get season tickets. At one point the sell out streak was 70+ and came to end only on Super Sunday when the Pats were playing.

Alas, fast forward and now a days the stands are usually mostly full but there is no waiting list anymore and there regularly tickets available for most every game. The commitment to the program has declined as several Presidents (granted some were interim) have gone through and priorities have changed. Local politics have also had an impact as Burlington want's more and more on campus housing. As such the University has been forced to use more and more capital funding to increase dorms, taking it away from a new arena. If Fogel was still president I think you'd already see a new arena on campus. It's the reality of today.

I still think an arena will be built in the near future, probably in South Burlington. But there are some things that would go along way towards that goal. For starters a few good seasons to revive interest in the on ice product. It really hasn't been there since the days of Mitchell, Stalberg, Strong, Madore, etc. With a few good seasons you would see more interest. Another thing that would help is a actual effort put into raising funds. For example, this summer we had the 1996-1997 team play other alumns. The Gutt was pretty well packed. A few of those could bring in significant money towards a new arena. Selling alcohol with proceeds going to a new arena fund would generate significant money as well. It could be done, but the current administration doesn't have that same focus on athletics that previous admins did. They would prefer a private developer do it, so we wait. There will be a clearer picture come Wednesday.
                          Got it. Wish you the best. Yes, on-ince product does help a lot.
                          Gary

www.umlhockey.com

Comment

Any guesses on who sits tonight? I would like to see Massie in the line up and have either Daigle or O'Donnell take the night off. it will also be interesting to see if Sneddon swaps out an entire line again

Comment

I'm guessing Shaw will get back in the lineup, maybe for Blanleil or Petro.
                              Gotta keep Puffer/Priv together and Mario/Bradley and Irwin/alvaro/colten were good together.
                              Good question on what happens, but less is more I would guess.

Hope we stay out of the box.......

Comment

Many going to be in Lowell this evening?

I will be there, as a NH resident, these are now my "home" games....
                                Watching UVM hockey from afar.....

Comment

Working...
                                X