Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
    Seriously, is there ice at Starr? Given the importance of the game we should have the game there. What was union at Starr 3-14-1???
    Yeah, but how many times was Union 22-8-2 and ranked #7 nationally?
    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

We erased a 3rd period deficit, we were under 5 minutes away from victory, we scored THREE goals, and earned ZERO points. If this was an NHL game we would have at least gotten 1 point. All that bonus hockey for NOTHING. Our chances of playing at home next weekend took a HUGE hit.
      Last edited by Rainman; 02-24-2017, 08:19 PM.
      Colgate '09

Comment

Coming out of a timeout for a third period defensive zone faceoff and leaving someone completely alone in front of the net didn't help.

Nor did turning over the puck at the blueline to arguably the best player in the country.

I think he may have just cemented his Hobey Baker with that goal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marmot View Post
          Coming out of a timeout for a third period defensive zone faceoff and leaving someone completely alone in front of the net didn't help.
          Devastating.

Comment

More numbers:

Our current coach has a career record 11 games under .500.

In his first 13 seasons he was 28 games over .500.

In his last 11 seasons he is 39 games under .500.

In 24 years he has one Cleary.

And not a single NCAA tournament win.

So, here's the question:

Is this good enough?

Comment

losing that one point was HUGE.

It wasnt the best turnover, but with a right handed shot, going down the right side, below the dot, the shot should be saved in his sleep. It happened right in front of me and I wasnt worried at all (I mean a no-angle shot from below the dot with the angle getting worse). I try to stay positive, but that shot has to be saved. After seeing the replay it wasnt as bad as i first thought but still very savable

The one point was huge because with the tie we would have only needed a Dartmouth tie or loss (and our win). This is because both Princeton and Yale both cant come away with two points tomorrow so we would have caught one of them.

Now we need to Win, Dartmouth loss AND Princeton Loss and that is the only road

The game was fun, but tough loss especially with all the emotional changes....losing going into the 3rd, tied, leading, tied....Lose.
              Last edited by red133883; 02-25-2017, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Last night's game was a true heartbreaker. It was the best game I've seen this year, unfortuneately we lost. After playing a pretty good first period we were totally outplayed in the second, not registering a shot until about a minute left when we were on the powerplay.
                The third period which has been our strongest lately started exactly that way. Two goals in two minutes and all of a sudden we're ahead 3-2. Then a very questionable high sticking penalty on us with somewhere near five minutes left and Vaughan calls a timeout.

Union wins a faceoff deep in our end and a totally left alone Union winger puts the tie goal into an open net. Hard to watch, I'm still wondering what happened as I will watch the replay this am to find out.

Then Vecchione picks Kulevich's pocket and goes in alone on a fairly bad angle and puts an on ice shot far side just inside the post. Un believable play by Vecchione out guessing Kulevich and an even better shot. The sad thing is that Kulevich is as dominating on defense as Vecchione is on offense. Kulevich has been our best player by far all year, plays his absolute heart out and something like that had to happen. A sad ending to a tremendous overtime game that we could have won or tied against the #7 team in the country.

I have to say one thing, this team of fourteen frosh and sophs has come a long way from October, the compete level is very high, it doesn't happen overnight. Now let's win tonight and avenge our disastrous defeat in Troy and get home ice.
                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

With a tie last night, we would have still been 10th going into today (after tiebreakers). The good news is that we can still pull off 8th place with the scenario that red133883 described above. Go 'Gate, go Yale, and go Clarkson!
                  Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                    Last night's game was a true heartbreaker. It was the best game I've seen this year, unfortuneately we lost. After playing a pretty good first period we were totally outplayed in the second, not registering a shot until about a minute left when we were on the powerplay.
                    The third period which has been our strongest lately started exactly that way. Two goals in two minutes and all of a sudden we're ahead 3-2. Then a very questionable high sticking penalty on us with somewhere near five minutes left and Vaughan calls a timeout.

Union wins a faceoff deep in our end and a totally left alone Union winger puts the tie goal into an open net. Hard to watch, I'm still wondering what happened as I will watch the replay this am to find out.

Then Vecchione picks Kulevich's pocket and goes in alone on a fairly bad angle and puts an on ice shot far side just inside the post. Un believable play by Vecchione out guessing Kulevich and an even better shot. The sad thing is that Kulevich is as dominating on defense as Vecchione is on offense. Kulevich has been our best player by far all year, plays his absolute heart out and something like that had to happen. A sad ending to a tremendous overtime game that we could have won or tied against the #7 team in the country.

I have to say one thing, this team of fourteen frosh and sophs has come a long way from October, the compete level is very high, it doesn't happen overnight. Now let's win tonight and avenge our disastrous defeat in Troy and get home ice.
                    +1

Do others feel as I do that last night's game was a microcosm of our season in many ways? We get behind, fight back and tie it up, go ahead, get tied up and into OT, then lose. Shabby's right in all respects in his analysis IMHO. The underclassmen have shown tremendous growth this season - remember how the team looked in October, then look at them now. We are competitive with top ranked teams, and overall the passing, chemistry, and consistency of play is better. Still a lot to work to do, but it would seem the groundwork has been laid (with incoming recruits) to have better seasons ahead. Now it's time to take out our anger on RPI.

Comment

• Heartbreaker last night, that extra point could mean something tonight if the big green lose and Princeton ties. Hopefully both lose 5-0.

IMO It's hard to judge that last goal as a "must save" considering first it was a defensive breakdown by Kulevich and second Vecchione is tied for second in the nation in goals scored. He was on the championship team a few years ago, is a senior captain, will more than likely be picked up as a free agent as soon as the season ends, oh and is a potention hobey winner. That's quite an impressive resume. Point is 21st in save percentage right now which is great considering he is a frosh with a bad Defensive team.

I have seen an improvement since February but we still lack some goal scorers. We really just don't have any pure goal scorers on this team. I did see last night when watching the Denver game on cbs though that Dauda leads the nation in face off win percentage.

Comment

very frustrating...the one thing that has definitely improved as the year has progressed has been the reduction in bad mistakes in our own zone...unfortunately, we were bitten twice...the last goal hurt the most, obviously, but the lack of coverage on Union's tying goal was simply inexcusable...lots of good comments above and, no doubt, there is some light at the end of this tunnel...as I have said, however, next year will be very important as a true measuring stick because, although nobody wants to hear it, Marmot's #s above are not only correct, they are disappointing and must be reversed...

Comment

I disagree with you Red, Vecchiones goal was a snipe !
                          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how next year's class is. I check on their progress pretty much every week. The forwards certainly aren't lighting the world on fire in juniors. So, that's a concern. Although I'm sure GreenCoat will be glad one of them hails from the USHL. Or will he be sad that the USHL recruit is the dreaded "two-way forward". Question marks about the forwards aside, two of the incoming d-men look promising. In defenseman scoring Cosgrove is 3rd in the BCHL and Quillan is 4th in the AJHL. Some hope there maybe.

I certainly hope the bells and whistles of the new rink help in attracting some top level recruits.
                            Last edited by Marmot; 02-25-2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

And in the neither here nor there category, I've been impressed with Tim Harrison this year. He has greatly improved as his career has progressed. I actually think he might project well at the next level. Not as a top 2 line guy but perhaps as a valuable role player. He certainly has the size and work rate to be a good pro. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Marmot View Post
                                And in the neither here nor there category, I've been impressed with Tim Harrison this year. He has greatly improved as his career has progressed. I actually think he might project well at the next level. Not as a top 2 line guy but perhaps as a valuable role player. He certainly has the size and work rate to be a good pro. Thoughts?
                                I agree - if he can stay out of the sin bin. I think he has trouble with penalties, but this may come from his aggressive play and size.

Comment

Working...
                                X