Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    So, any predictions for this weekend? Improved? Pain?

I will not be able to attend Friday's game as I will be doing something I know will be awesome rather than potentially excruciating. I will be keeping close watch of a game fracker on my phone, though. The last time I did that, I watched LSSU go up 4-0 in a period while I watched the football team unravel directly in front of me.

I am not sure what to expect. Rough games happen but both of them?That usually means one team is not ready for the level of competition and Denver is likely much stronger than LSSU. If we can keep these games competitive I will consider them a W. I noticed that 5 of 6 defenseman Saturday were freshman. That is a recipe for disaster if i'be ever seen one.

Fri: 4-2 Denver
    Saturday: 8-2 Denver

Saturday gets away from us.

Edit: heh, game "fracker." Extracting the stats gasses from the game.
    Friday: 5-0 DU.
    Saturday: 8-3 DU.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
      As much as I have enjoyed their awfulness, I'm getting kind of tired of games that we don't win being PWR anchors. I had to take a walk after that one loss last year because I was so angry.

We've only clean swept them once in recent memory (2008-09). Hard to beat a team every single time you play them in this sport.
      True, but even when they're good (back in the stone-ages before fire was invented) I became upset after losing to them. Michigan hockey losses to sparty have always rivaled the Appy State fiasco for me.
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Busy Friday, but might try to swing by Saturday for the demolition.

5-0 DU
        6-3 DU
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          Busy Friday, but might try to swing by Saturday for the demolition.
          You're about 5 1/2 years late.

Comment

Well, I'm happy the weekend wasn't as terrible as I thought it'd be.

Given that Princeton doesn't start its season until they play us next weekend, I have no clue what to make of them. They look like a fairly experienced team.
            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
            66 - 86 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post

Given that Princeton doesn't start its season until they play us next weekend, I have no clue what to make of them. They look like a fairly experienced team.
              Princeton was one of the worst teams in D-1 last year, going 5-23-3. Unless they're loaded with good new recruits, I don't see them being much better. Should be a good game for MSU.
              CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post

I missed Friday but was there on Saturday. I was pretty impressed with our defensive play. I expected Denver to whip us and no such thing happened. I thought our first period was excellent. We had several good scoring chances caused quite a few Denver turnovers. I actually yelled in frustration when Khodorenko was in all alone and dropped it back where it was tipped away. We need to shoot the puck more. Too many chances are given up by trying to make an extra pass. Hirose gave up a golden opportunity at one point as well. We also miss the **** net too much. It kills me.

We did at times struggle with their speed, but not always. Our power play was mostly dreadful. Their aggressiveness on the PK threw us off constantly and resulted in a few absolutely brutal turnovers. Boy, did we struggle to get set up in their zone at times. I fear this is indicative of another season lacking in offensive prowess. Weak offensive teams have weak power plays.

Lethemon rebounded nicely after those 2 goals. I was pretty down on him at that point but I guess he showed why Anastos insists on giving him playing time.

Overall, it was a good weekend to ease concerns that we might be the worst team in D-1. I was impressed that while I felt we started to slow down a bit at times in the 3rd period Saturday, we generally did not seem too worn down by Denver's speed and altitude training. Young teams sometimes have a hard time with that. Anastos has said that this is his most well conditioned team but he said that last year, too.

Comment

Also, any good feels from sticking with Denver will be gone if we can't beat Princeton. If this team wants to have a season that even approaches respectable then we need to snag games like this one.
                  Last edited by Pirateasaur; 10-23-2016, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I missed Friday but was there on Saturday. I was pretty impressed with our defensive play. I expected Denver to whip us and no such thing happened. I thought our first period was excellent. We had several good scoring chances caused quite a few Denver turnovers. I actually yelled in frustration when Khodorenko was in all alone and dropped it back where it was tipped away. We need to shoot the puck more. Too many chances are given up by trying to make an extra pass. Hirose gave up a golden opportunity at one point as well. We also miss the **** net too much. It kills me.

We did at times struggle with their speed, but not always. Our power play was mostly dreadful. Their aggressiveness on the PK threw us off constantly and resulted in a few absolutely brutal turnovers. Boy, did we struggle to get set up in their zone at times. I fear this is indicative of another season lacking in offensive prowess. Weak offensive teams have weak power plays.

Lethemon rebounded nicely after those 2 goals. I was pretty down on him at that point but I guess he showed why Anastos insists on giving him playing time.

Overall, it was a good weekend to ease concerns that we might be the worst team in D-1. I was impressed that while I felt we started to slow down a bit at times in the 3rd period Saturday, we generally did not seem too worn down by Denver's speed and altitude training. Young teams sometimes have a hard time with that. Anastos has said that this is his most well conditioned team but he said that last year, too.
                    Saturday I think represented a step up on defensive play from Friday, which was a large step up from last weekend. Looked like most of the mistakes were in neutral or offensive ice. One huge improvement to me was the play of upper-classmen on D (especially applicable to #11, who got himself embarrassingly turned the wrong way Friday when goal #1 happened). The rest is basically getting on the steep learning curve.

Definitely our goaltender play brought a smile to my face. The exception was probably the 2nd goal, which was soft. But that near point-blank save by Minney on Friday on the one-timer was sheer robbery!

I suppose any time you're asking freshmen to play a large part of the power play, that's the last thing to come online. Maybe it'll get there this year. I can't remember MSU having a power play to be proud of since Krug was here.

Now, all this feel-good stuff can easily go out the window in a hurry, as has been the case for a long time. Putting together a string of decent weekends has been rare. I would have to guess however that if State played with the same effort as they did against DU, they will have their first win this weekend.

It's almost like an apologist talking, but there is some satisfaction taken from the fact that on both nights, the boys gave themselves a chance to get to overtime against a really good team.
                    Last edited by owslachief; 10-24-2016, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                      Saturday I think represented a step up on defensive play from Friday, which was a large step up from last weekend. Looked like most of the mistakes were in neutral or offensive ice. One huge improvement to me was the play of upper-classmen on D (especially applicable to #11, who got himself embarrassingly turned the wrong way Friday when goal #1 happened). The rest is basically getting on the steep learning curve.

Definitely our goaltender play brought a smile to my face. The exception was probably the 2nd goal, which was soft. But that near point-blank save by Minney on Friday on the one-timer was sheer robbery!

I suppose any time you're asking freshmen to play a large part of the power play, that's the last thing to come online. Maybe it'll get there this year. I can't remember MSU having a power play to be proud of since Krug was here.

Now, all this feel-good stuff can easily go out the window in a hurry, as has been the case for a long time. Putting together a string of decent weekends has been rare. I would have to guess however that if State played with the same effort as they did against DU, they will have their first win this weekend.

It's almost like an apologist talking, but there is some satisfaction taken from the fact that on both nights, the boys gave themselves a chance to get to overtime against a really good team.
                      1. My new favorite player is Butrus Ghafari. Mainly for his awesome name but also because he seems like a guy who is not afraid to throw the body around and also seems like pretty darn good defensemen.

2. Lethemon impressed me after letting in two pretty soft goals. The second goal was quite a shot though, I mean it did go directly through the net... (when is the last time that has ever happened?)

3. I came away really impressed with the freshman. If they can gain some confidence on offense it will be a pretty darn good class.

4. SHOOT THE PUCK. I don't know if I have ever watched a hockey team that just refuses to shoot the puck unless your name is Mason Appleton. Also when we do shoot we need to actually get it on net, too many times we get good shots but just completely miss the net.
                      Last edited by gomsuman; 10-24-2016, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                        4. SHOOT THE PUCK. I don't know if I have ever watched a hockey team that just refuses to shoot the puck unless your name is Mason Appleton. Also when we do shoot we need to actually get it on net, too many times we get good shots but just completely miss the net completely.
                        I'm glad you cap'd that, because that was probably the biggest theme on the negative side this weekend. Sounds to me like fans are just tired of yelling "SHOOT THE [euphemism] PUCK!". And fire it at the goalie too. We're young, and more apt to get a good rebound than mail it into the perfect top corner of the net.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                          I'm glad you cap'd that, because that was probably the biggest theme on the negative side this weekend. Sounds to me like fans are just tired of yelling "SHOOT THE [euphemism] PUCK!". And fire it at the goalie too. We're young, and more apt to get a good rebound than mail it into the perfect top corner of the net.
                          I wish we took more of a Penn State approach to shooting. They do a great job of shooting the puck on goal from all parts of the ice. You never know when a goalie might make a bad mistake or even better a teammate gets a juicy rebound. But those two things won't happen until you SHOOT THE PUCK. I just wish I knew if this is a coaching thing or if it is a confidence problem. The fact that Anastos came from an era of high octane offense I can't imagine its a coaching thing, but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                            I wish we took more of a Penn State approach to shooting. They do a great job of shooting the puck on goal from all parts of the ice. You never know when a goalie might make a bad mistake or even better a teammate gets a juicy rebound. But those two things won't happen until you SHOOT THE PUCK. I just wish I knew if this is a coaching thing or if it is a confidence problem. The fact that Anastos came from an era of high octane offense I can't imagine its a coaching thing, but you never know.
                            Penn State is a Guy Gadowsky team. His teams at Princeton used to shoot from anywhere and everywhere, and routinely put up 40+ shots on goal per game
                            "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

• Originally posted by bcmsu9196 View Post
                              Penn State is a Guy Gadowsky team. His teams at Princeton used to shoot from anywhere and everywhere, and routinely put up 40+ shots on goal per game
                              That strategy has its benefits and drawbacks. My worry is how often we would be giving up possession of the puck for very low percentage shots. We do need to shoot more but our tendency to not take GOOD shots when they are available is what drives me mad. A big part of it may be many of our young players being used to controlling play however they wanted. They might need to learn they can't get away with cute stuff anymore.

Comment

That strategy has its benefits and drawbacks. My worry is how often we would be giving up possession of the puck for very low percentage shots. We do need to shoot more but our tendency to not take GOOD shots when they are available is what drives me mad. A big part of it may be many of our young players being used to controlling play however they wanted. They might need to learn they can't get away with cute stuff anymore.
                                Couldn't have said it better.

Comment

Working...
                                X