Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

In the interest of keeping this freshly bumped, VOLLEYBALL SWEEPS tOSU!

No, good point about Appleton
    Last edited by owslachief; 10-07-2016, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Two goalies under friendly fire this afternoon, and after a couple of soft goals, one of them (Lethemon) has some work to do. Especially if TA makes good on platooning he and Minney. It's only a scrimmage, but the seniors took it quite seriously. Stenglein was easily the top guy with 2 goals, a nice setup for a Pavelek goal and nearly another to the same guy. That looks like a line that could stick (Stenglein, Saliba, Pavelek). Other goals came from Haag, Appleton, a guy names Sauchak (nice for him, and his family contingent who were there to appreciate it), and Ebbing.

Overall, some nice wide-open hockey at times. Maybe that's why 7 goals total - something that's been a bit unusual in the Green & White for several years. Green team takes it 5-2, with Minney the winning goalie. My day was complete in that there was NO prolonged shootout thingy at the end.

Top lines were (Green) Ebbing, Lambdin and Cox, with d-men Scarsella and Eliot, (White) Khoderenko, Hirose and Appleton and on D Rosburg and Osburn. Other combos were aforementioned Stenglein - Pavelek- Saliba, and Sanford-Haag-Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
        Two goalies under friendly fire this afternoon, and after a couple of soft goals, one of them (Lethemon) has some work to do. Especially if TA makes good on platooning he and Minney. It's only a scrimmage, but the seniors took it quite seriously. Stenglein was easily the top guy with 2 goals, a nice setup for a Pavelek goal and nearly another to the same guy. That looks like a line that could stick (Stenglein, Saliba, Pavelek). Other goals came from Haag, Appleton, a guy names Sauchak (nice for him, and his family contingent who were there to appreciate it), and Ebbing.

Overall, some nice wide-open hockey at times. Maybe that's why 7 goals total - something that's been a bit unusual in the Green & White for several years. Green team takes it 5-2, with Minney the winning goalie. My day was complete in that there was NO prolonged shootout thingy at the end.

Top lines were (Green) Ebbing, Lambdin and Cox, with d-men Scarsella and Eliot, (White) Khoderenko, Hirose and Appleton and on D Rosburg and Osburn. Other combos were aforementioned Stenglein - Pavelek- Saliba, and Sanford-Haag-Milan.
        Anyone know why Gatt didn't play?

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
          Anyone know why Gatt didn't play?
          I've no idea. He's probably dinged up. There has been no announcement so I would assume nothing long term or disciplinary is going on.

I did notice that Knudson has been moved to forward. Interesting move. He didn't exactly look out of place but it is hard to envision a spot in the regular rotation for him. Anastos must feel good about the D that have arrived.

I do like Connor Wood, as I always have. He's decent with the puck and those wheels are intriguing. I am not sure why Anastos has always been hesitant to put him in the lineup regularly. Perhaps his small size is a detriment defensively at times? Hirose is not any bigger.

As for the game, I had a good time watching. The previous few were defensive suffocation fests. At least 1 ended up 0-0 and went like 10 shootout rounds before anyone scored so this was a good time. Late in the 2nd "half" I realized I was disappointed I wouldn't get to watch a 3rd period.

But yes, Stenglein had a monster game. 2 goals and 2 assists, I believe. Also, I suspect Mitch Eliot may be our best freshman. I think that kid is going to be very good.

Away jerseys look quite a bit better than the homes, though both are an improvement on the previous edition of that design. The green on green on green on green (helmet, sweater, pants, socks) is quite a handsome look.

Comment

I'm thinking about heading up to LSSU this Friday. How much is parking up there?
            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
            66 - 86 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
              I'm thinking about heading up to LSSU this Friday. How much is parking up there?
              Parking is $2. It will cost $4 (each way) to get across the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                Parking is $2. It will cost $4 (each way) to get across the bridge.
                It sounds like you're saying that I should bring $10 with me.
                66 - 86 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

Well, we've finally made it. It's game day. I think we could learn a fair amount this weekend. LSSU is probably not a great team, but I do think that Whitten has them slowly on the upswing and they are probably an OK team. Obviously we want a sweep but I reckon we will need to be better than last year in order to do that.

My prediction
                  Friday: MSU 2 LSSU 2
                  Saturday: MSU 2 LSSU 4

Sure, I lack faith. The team is free to prove me wrong.

Comment

LSSU 6, MSU 1
                    Other than the score - a combination of whole numbers - it sounded like an experimental exercise in proximity infractions. It's great that the guys can get a ton of special teams minutes under their belts, but it sucks that for the most part State came away with missed opportunities.

Let's see how we respond on Saturday.

Comment

Well, that went significantly worse than I had hoped.

I did not see the game but it looks like a complete penalty fest, which is always difficult to watch or play in. I do not know if we actually looked 5 goals worse than LSSU or if those were just the bounces in a game that was never 5on5. The beauty of college hockey is that you can start over again the next night.

God, I hope this season is not officiated so strictly.

Comment

And so it begins...
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Who on earth made Holland an alternate captain? He had an amazing stat line last night: -2, 21 PIM and a game DQ. He also lost the fight he started.

Minney looked really bad in spots last night, too. Out of position on at least two goals. Ebbing screamed something at him after he gave up the sixth goal. The kid looked absolutely lost.

Just a complete team failure. (Perhaps spare Haag from that. He did score the lone goal.)
                          66 - 86 - 07

Comment

I feel bad for you guys. I really do.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              I feel bad for you guys. I really do.
                              Why? Volleyball is doing swell!

Comment

So, is this a D1 quality hockey team? Even a bad one?

Color me concerned about goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                                X