Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    Whelp, back at it tonight. I think it'll be a close game but yet another loss: 4-3 sounds about right.
    Not meaning to be rude but I don't think it will be close. OSU was beating up Minnesota last Saturday like the ugly redhead stepchild until the penalties gave it away.
    They know points are critical for them and will not play casual.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      Not meaning to be rude but I don't think it will be close. OSU was beating up Minnesota last Saturday like the ugly redhead stepchild until the penalties gave it away.
      They know points are critical for them and will not play casual.
      The unfortunate thing for you is that this MSU team isn't nearly as bad as the record would indicate. Would I pick MSU to win? no. Would I predict it to be two close games this weekend? yes. MSU has dominated some pretty good teams for stretches this year as well.. just always find a way to lose.

All depends on which MSU team shows up though...

Comment

• Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
        The unfortunate thing for you is that this MSU team isn't nearly as bad as the record would indicate. Would I pick MSU to win? no. Would I predict it to be two close games this weekend? yes. MSU has dominated some pretty good teams for stretches this year as well.. just always find a way to lose.

Right. We are all pretty down on this team but this squad is usually competitive but just can't get the job done.

But you never know. OSU is a better team that can score goals and if the
        ice tips against MSU like it did the first couple periods against Wisconsin then things can get ugly. Combine that with an off night from Minney and it could be a laugher.

Which reminds me of our goaltending. Has anybody made anything of the increased playing time for Lethemon recently? I didn't until Minney was pulled at the Joe after a 2 goal 1st period. Seemed like a very short leash. Minney had a tough night against Wisky a couple weeks ago but it almost seems like he's lost the starting job.
        Last edited by Pirateasaur; 02-17-2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post

This series has been close for the last few years and i do expect it to be close this weekend. If Ohio State is going to get where they want to be they must sweep this series. I do think Ohio State sweeps but i expect 2 close games.

Comment

I do NOT like this match-up at all for MSU. I think they get run by something like 5 combined goals. Physical stature, experience, scoring and goaltending for OSU add up trouble for the home team.

Comment

Just as expected, a close game where MSU once again can't get it done.

It was a pretty entertaining game. I thought MSU played well throughout most of it. That 6 on 4 at the end though. Woof. Sour way to top off what was otherwise a decent performance.

Lethemon in goal again. Interesting for sure.

Comment

Imagine if these guys had an average power play. Would MSU have 10 wins by now?

Comment

I was talking to a scout from
                  Anaheim tonight at the Muskegon Lumberjacks game; he said to expect nothing to happen to tCHHCoMSU after this season. That the alumni like him too much. And also Appleton has had enough and for him to leave for Winnipeg (?).

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                    Imagine if these guys had an average power play. Would MSU have 10 wins by now?
                    I think the power play has improved a bit. The most recognizable moment was the 5on3 at the joe last week where we scored after a lot of good puck/player movement. In previous seasons our 5on3 seemed to just be a tentative version of our 5on4 PP. Still, it's inconsistent and has more trouble gaining the offensive zone and setting up possession than most teams.

We're also doing a better job of getting shots and scoring chances throughout the game than the first half. Still, once again, anproducive 1st period leads to zilch the remaining 40 minutes. Pretty sure I've seen that story 3 or 4 times at Munn this year.

Comment

Personally I thought OSU did everything they could especially early in the 1st to hand you guys the game on a platter with all those scoring chances they kept giving you!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                        Personally I thought OSU did everything they could especially early in the 1st to hand you guys the game on a platter with all those scoring chances they kept giving you!
                        Agreed. I was not impressed with OSU's energy last night. Spartans arrived to the puck in even battles about 3/4 of the time. I doubt we'll see the same tonight. Hoping I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                          Agreed. I was not impressed with OSU's energy last night. Spartans arrived to the puck in even battles about 3/4 of the time. I doubt we'll see the same tonight. Hoping I'm wrong.
                          winning those battles caused both Spartan goals. I give Michigan State credit they play very hard. Ohio State found a way to win last night and i expect a better effort tonight from the Buckeyes.

Comment

Three pp's for MSU in the third, including one with a two man advantage, and NO SHOTS ON GOAL! Really? That makes my head hurt. On the positive side, only eight (that's including one tournament game) more games til its over.
                            I see a 7-26-2 record (I had predicted 11-24 when the season started) to end the season.

Comment

The problem with the powerplay is that nobody moves without the puck. You can only stand there and pass it around so much before somebody turns it over. Move without the puck, make the defense move around and eventually you should get an open lane.

I was not impressed with OSU last night hoping for you OSU fans' sake that was just a bad night. If you play like that against even a decent team you lose by 2-3 goals.

If MSU had even any goalie as good as the past ones I think they win that game last night. I like Lethemon but that second goal he prolly should have saved.. had clear sight and he never even moved his glove. Hildebrand or any of our past goalies makes that save 9/10 times. Sometimes you have to make saves like that to give your team a chance... MSU hasn't been doing that this year.

I am expecting the worse tonight. OSU comes out fired up after a poor performance and wins by 3 goals.

Comment

I was not able to attend last night but it looks like all I missed was a an old episode I've seen a few dozen times.

In the last 17 games we are 2-13-2 with the only non-losses coming against Michigan. Never would have seen that coming even a few years ago, let alone 15.

Comment

Working...
                                X