Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

I just saw that 2017(?) Commit Ty Farmer has been traded to Muskegon from Youngstown. He is in his third year in the USHL. 87 games. 2 goals 13 assists for 15 pts. Not holding my breath. I

Comment

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
      I just saw that 2017(?) Commit Ty Farmer has been traded to Muskegon from Youngstown. He is in his third year in the USHL. 87 games. 2 goals 13 assists for 15 pts. Not holding my breath. I
      2 goals in 87 games? He'll fit right in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
        I don't think point production is the best indicator of a defenseman's abilities or usefulness. He may be a stay at home, defensive defenseman. A good one of those will help out Minney and our ailing PK.

He's also still fairly young. It looks like he was 16 when he started in the USHL. I'd say he has a lot of experience playing at a high level and still has
        plenty of room to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
          I don't think point production is the best indicator of a defenseman's abilities or usefulness. He may be a stay at home, defensive defenseman. A good one of those will help out Minney and our ailing PK.

He's also still fairly young. It looks like he was 16 when he started in the USHL. I'd say he has a lot of experience playing at a high level and still has
          For a D-man, I look at offensive numbers as either a function of how well he moves the puck through the neutral zone, whether he shoots a lot, or he's really good on the power play. I'm sure there's a good enough formula if you've got enough data (PPA, shots, who he's on the ice with).

Defensively you can't just rely on +/- either. Again, you can look at who's on the ice when a goal is given up (a forward can turn the puck over as disastrously as a D-man can), but over the course of a season you can make assumptions by simply looking at whom he's paired with and check his numbers (like +/1). If Ty's at -10, he's paired with a guy who's 0 and another who's -4, you may be able to say Ty's the weak link defensively. Just for example's-sake. Again, it's all quite simplistic assumption-making unless you actually watch him and how he handles himself. It's uncommon to readily find turnover stats (the NHL has them), but that's a pretty good benchmark of how well he plays his position.
          Last edited by owslachief; 01-26-2017, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Brody Stevens has committed to State for next season. He's a 5'11, 199# forward who's jumped around a bit in his 3 full seasons in the USHL. He's netted 36 goals and 76 points in 151 games overall there.

He is from Ann Arbor.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post

I'll see him play Saturday night. I was watching John Vanbiebrook last week (GM in Muskegon) and he was not happy with how the D was bringing the puck up. We will see if Farmer is any better.

Comment

I'll see him play Saturday night. I was watching John Vanbiebrook last week (GM in Muskegon) and he was not happy with how the D was bringing the puck up. We will see if Farmer is any better.
                While speaking of recruits, I wonder if there anything to read into G Dylan St Cyr switching his commitment from UMaa to Notre Dame.

Comment

Anyone else kind of confused by the schedule, that has MSU being finished playing scUM for the season, before even playing OSU at all?

Comment

Reed Lebster committed today. Forward playing at DesMoines this year.

Comment

Anyone else kind of confused by the schedule, that has MSU being finished playing scUM for the season, before even playing OSU at all?
                      Yeah, I noticed the same type of thing on Wisconsin's schedule/assume every team has that scenario. I don't understand the logic behind setting up schedules like that. They should really be separating the series agains the same teams more, so one team doesn't get lucky facing another for 2 series in 4 or 5 weeks when that team is missing a few key people to injuries. I've noticed the same thing on the bouncy ball schedules too. Love to hear reasoning behind this.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                        Reed Lebster committed today. Forward playing at DesMoines this year.
                        Sounds like a knock-off of Red Lobster.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                          Sounds like a knock-off of Red Lobster.
                          Get ready to learn the Rock Lobster (Bostonions, Rahk Lahbstah)

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                            get ready to learn the rock lobster (bostonions, rawk lawbstah)
                            fyp

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              fyp
                              Apt fyp. Authentic, owing to your location

Comment

Guys, guess what!? MSU hasn't lost a game in over a week!

I know, I know I'm a glass half full type.. but I really think not losing a single game in a weekend will do wonders for this team.

Comment

Working...
                                X