PDA

View Full Version : MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

owslachief
02-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Q & A with Mark Hollis includes another double-spaced on Asbestos.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2017/02/05/mark-hollis-ncaa-selection-committee-msu-ad-couch-column/97486698/

If he persists in this insane theory that it's easier to build a brand new program than fix an existing one, then the only way to make this better is to scrap the entire hockey operation for two years and restart it in 2020.
I didn't see anything beyond this than AD-speak. He's saying the things he needs to say before he pulls the plug at the end of the season. By pull the plug, I mean the firing is a package deal, so there are no hard feelings :D (It's Anastos and Miller, and let Newton make his own decision).

owslachief
02-06-2017, 08:37 PM
How your athletic director allows this guy to keep recruiting is beyond comprehension ..I feel bad for a once proud program

I have no major issue with recruiting. I'm actually surprised he's doing the level of convincing he's managed to do despite the obvious coaching issues and development track record.

owslachief
02-08-2017, 02:59 PM
http://www.foxmotorshockey.com/
I didn't believe the rumor until someone posted in SpartanMag, finally, a link. At least this is what Fox Motors club believes.

gomsuman
02-08-2017, 03:59 PM
http://www.foxmotorshockey.com/
I didn't believe the rumor until someone posted in SpartanMag, finally, a link. At least this is what Fox Motors club believes.

According to his Wikipedia page Mike's brother Steve (Cam's uncle) attended MSU (before my time). So there are some family ties...but considering his dad attended Michigan it is an interesting commitment to pick up.

owslachief
02-08-2017, 10:47 PM
According to his Wikipedia page Mike's brother Steve (Cam's uncle) attended MSU (before my time). So there are some family ties...but considering his dad attended Michigan it is an interesting commitment to pick up.
OK, it also appears there's an athletics connection to MSU as well (aunt is a golf coach here).

Edit: Bradley Marek has joined Knuble in committing to MSU. They're #'s 1 and 2 for Fox Motors U-16 in points this season. Looks like Marek's also had a cup of coffee in the USHL as well (2 games with Bloomington).

gomsuman
02-09-2017, 11:24 AM
I don't know much about youth hockey.. I usually judge players once they get to MSU.. but I'm assuming these are pretty good kids to be getting considering the dumpster fire of a season MSU is having?

Spartanforlife4
02-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Well, at least we didn't lose. Though the shootout result has probably solidified us as the 6 seed.

Tonight's game only available on BTN Plus. I don't understand that. Only the Wings play tonight so FSD would be open, but not even Comcast wanted this game?

UMICH
02-11-2017, 07:01 PM
Well, at least we didn't lose. Though the shootout result has probably solidified us as the 6 seed.

Tonight's game only available on BTN Plus. I don't understand that. Only the Wings play tonight so FSD would be open, but not even Comcast wanted this game?

Both teams suck.

UMICH
02-11-2017, 08:05 PM
I.just.can't.

John J. MacInnes
02-12-2017, 10:32 AM
I.just.can't.

Neither can your team. :D

John J. MacInnes
02-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Fun fact - location of all MSU wins this season:

2 - Munn Ice Arena
2 - Yost Ice Arena
1 - Ewigleben Ice Arena
1 - Engelstad Ice Arena

Spartanforlife4
02-12-2017, 11:16 AM

2 - Munn Ice Arena
2 - Yost Ice Arena
1 - Ewigleben Ice Arena
1 - Engelstad Ice Arena

Who would've thought a six win team would be undefeated in Ann Arbor and Grand Forks.

Pirateasaur
02-12-2017, 11:38 AM

2 - Munn Ice Arena
2 - Yost Ice Arena
1 - Ewigleben Ice Arena
1 - Engelstad Ice Arena

As curious of a stat that is in regards to the road games it is astonishing the home fans have witnessed 2 wins all season to this point.

I do think this team has future potential. I badly want a coaching staff that I can confidently believe will help it achieve that potential. As agonizing as the season has been this team has not had any games as wholly disgusting as the 9-2 loss to UM or the 6-1 loss to PSU, which still goes down in my experience as the worst performance I've ever seen out of an MSU hockey team at Munn.

Decatur Spartan
02-12-2017, 08:21 PM
I just watched a recording of the shootout lose to scUM.
WHY, why did tCHHCoMSU not put his leading scorer (Mason Appleton) in the shootout? Another reason this coach is in over his head.

aallenpollreisz
02-13-2017, 08:16 AM
This season has been an absolute disaster, but that Saturday game was pretty enjoyable. (Granted, it was pretty much a pillow fight on ice skates, but a fun pillow fight nonetheless.)

owslachief
02-13-2017, 03:00 PM
This season has been an absolute disaster, but that Saturday game was pretty enjoyable. (Granted, it was pretty much a pillow fight on ice skates, but a fun pillow fight nonetheless.)
Before Saturday night's outcome, you have to go back to 2007-08 for the last time MSU won the season series. That year State was 2-1-1 against the pups. I'm including non-conf & post-season in this. Coincidentally, 07-08 was the last season (before this) that MSU won the head-to-head goal differential.

UMICH
02-13-2017, 08:05 PM
Neither can your team. :D

We're pathetic yes but compare records....

Yes we're both bad though. Rest easy guys, I think that you're hockey team is distracted by the sex scandal currently going on at sparty. Hollis has bigger fish to fry than Anastos. One more year!

Hockeybuckeye
02-14-2017, 06:43 AM
I think Anastos is there for a LONG time to come and I've brought this point up before.
When MSU has a softball coach who in 25 years only had ONE season above .500 and several years ago a season with NO conference wins and is STILL there what hope have you got for upgrading from Anastos? Obviously somebody in your athletic department doesn't give a sh#t it you have winning sports programs there or not!
I'm not picking on you guys, it's just kind of a sad truth.

owslachief
02-14-2017, 09:50 AM
I think Anastos is there for a LONG time to come and I've brought this point up before.
When MSU has a softball coach who in 25 years only had ONE season above .500 and several years ago a season with NO conference wins and is STILL there what hope have you got for upgrading from Anastos? Obviously somebody in your athletic department doesn't give a sh#t it you have winning sports programs there or not!
I'm not picking on you guys, it's just kind of a sad truth.
The difference is there is comparatively zilch potential revenue wrapped up in softball here, while hockey is 3rd on the li$t. It is hoped that the current AD will recognize that little nuance :) and make the right move.

Hockeybuckeye
02-14-2017, 10:48 AM
The difference is there is comparatively zilch potential revenue wrapped up in softball here, while hockey is 3rd on the li$t. It is hoped that the current AD will recognize that little nuance :) and make the right move.I had a conversation with Mason several years back about the SB coach and was told several factors on how much longer she may be around and that timeframe has come & gone with no changes met for her continuance and yet there she still is. For some reason they have turned their backs on the need to restore your program as well.
I wish you the best to get results but I certainly wouldn't be holding my breath.
I'll see you all this weekend at Munn!