Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Firstly, and just so I can get a good night's sleep,
    **** you Hollis.

And Merry Christmas too.

There. This is one of those games where one drops his win expectation for the season by about 7 or 8. Wow. There's a group of guys who are not conditioned to respond to adversity. Couple that with some shoddy goaltending and this is what you get. NU is a prototype of Ohio State (only not quite as good), whom State will face four times. I may just get that winter project done before win #5 after all.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
      Firstly, and just so I can get a good night's sleep,
      **** you Hollis.

And Merry Christmas too.

There. This is one of those games where one drops his win expectation for the season by about 7 or 8. Wow. There's a group of guys who are not conditioned to respond to adversity. Couple that with some shoddy goaltending and this is what you get. NU is a prototype of Ohio State (only not quite as good), whom State will face four times. I may just get that winter project done before win #5 after all.
      I didn't have quite the adverse reaction to the game as you but yes, disappointing. Before the Minnesota series I dared dream of splitting at home and then knocking off NE to go into the break strong. This feels much more familiar.

Besides falling apart in the last 10 minutes, I thought it was a fairly even game. They had an edge in the 1st, we looked strong in the 2nd. They were able to score all of the dirty goals by crashing the net, though. Something we have wanted to see from our guys for a long time. Our PP, while better at possessing the puck than years, is still unproductive.

I do feel this team is better than last season but I don't see it showing on our record. The entire B1G except Michigan has improved along with us. It might be a battle to get to 10 wins at this point. I know others have their doubts but I can't see how Hollis could justify not making a change at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
        I didn't have quite the adverse reaction to the game as you but yes, disappointing. Before the Minnesota series I dared dream of splitting at home and then knocking off NE to go into the break strong. This feels much more familiar.

Besides falling apart in the last 10 minutes, I thought it was a fairly even game. They had an edge in the 1st, we looked strong in the 2nd. They were able to score all of the dirty goals by crashing the net, though. Something we have wanted to see from our guys for a long time. Our PP, while better at possessing the puck than years, is still unproductive.

I do feel this team is better than last season but I don't see it showing on our record. The entire B1G except Michigan has improved along with us. It might be a battle to get to 10 wins at this point. I know others have their doubts but I can't see how Hollis could justify not making a change at that point.
        State played a solid second period - until the breakaway that NU used to go ahead 3-2, right after MSU tied it. To say the wheels came off is an understatement. The shot total was an utter lie; MSU got run over. They didn't respond, they played selfish and their goaltending sucked. Their 5-on-3 was the worst I think I've every seen. They took stupid penalties (OK, not as bad as a couple of doozies NU was guilty of - including on a friggin' faceoff).

Other than that, it was another enjoyable night at the library.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
          State played a solid second period - until the breakaway that NU used to go ahead 3-2, right after MSU tied it. To say the wheels came off is an understatement. The shot total was an utter lie; MSU got run over. They didn't respond, they played selfish and their goaltending sucked. Their 5-on-3 was the worst I think I've every seen. They took stupid penalties (OK, not as bad as a couple of doozies NU was guilty of - including on a friggin' faceoff).

We did get to witness a real, live 2 on 0! We didn't score but it sure was fun while it lasted.

I just don't know what Hollis is thinking right now. Attendance has slowly dipped every year and is now at record lows and there is almost no positive chatter surrounding the program. The number of bears that used to go flying always impressed me but not last night.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post

Don't forget MSU had a 2 on 0 rush with Appleton and Hirose (I think) and didn't score in the 1st period. That alone could have sparked the team a little bit in the first.. instead it was momentum the other way.

Yes, rough game all around. Minney was nothing like the Minney who showed up against Minnesota. I thought perhaps a goalie switch was needed after the second soft goal he gave up to try to spark the team but then again we all know how good our coach is.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
              Don't forget MSU had a 2 on 0 rush with Appleton and Hirose (I think) and didn't score in the 1st period. That alone could have sparked the team a little bit in the first.. instead it was momentum the other way.

Yes, rough game all around. Minney was nothing like the Minney who showed up against Minnesota. I thought perhaps a goalie switch was needed after the second soft goal he gave up to try to spark the team but then again we all know how good our coach is.
              Now, if we only had a wheelbarrow ...
              I'd like to clone Appleton, Hirose and Khoderenko 3 times, but I know the technology is not there yet. I liken it to one of my favorite movies: Westley: My brains, his steel, and your strength against sixty men, and you think a little head-jiggle is supposed to make me happy?

So Hirose = brains, Appleton = steel, Khoderenko = strength. That's really simplistic but you get the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                Bad year for the Mason Family. Prayers lifted.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post

Coach? MSU has a Hockey Coach? Really! Wow. Huh. Imagine that. Who is it?

Comment

I was willing to give tCHHCoMSU until after GLI to get it together. Don't think I can wait that long.
                    FIRE HIM NOW!

Comment

• Originally posted by gomsuman View Post

That 2 on 0 was disastrous. Rather than just go for a breakaway they slowed up to create the 2 on 0 and it threw all the rythym off. Neither player looked comfortable and they passed so much they outsmarted themselves and ended up with a terrible angle moving away from the net.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        That 2 on 0 was disastrous. Rather than just go for a breakaway they slowed up to create the 2 on 0 and it threw all the rythym off. Neither player looked comfortable and they passed so much they outsmarted themselves and ended up with a terrible angle moving away from the net.
                        Well, I doubt many players have ever been in a 2-0 with all the time in the world. They were probably slightly bewildered just from finding themselves in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                          Well, I doubt many players have ever been in a 2-0 with all the time in the world. They were probably slightly bewildered just from finding themselves in that situation.
                          I can't imagine you go through several stages of hockey from Mite to Junior A and you don't either experience this game-time or drill for it.

Comment

Holiday break thoughts...

Good: It's technically impossible for MSU to lose 30 games in the regular season. Occasional bouts of competency. Occasional bouts of brillant goaltending by Minney. Flashes of really good defense. Some legit good showings against good teams.

Bad: Generally speaking, this team is crap.

Conclusion: You know, I think we'll all enjoy the next couple of weeks off.
                            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                            66 - 86 - 07
                            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Y'all have a wonderful Christmas, and we will see you just before GLI.
                              Keep the Mason/Walsh Family in your thoughts and prayers. They have had a difficult year.
                              Blessings and peace to you and your families.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                                Holiday break thoughts...

Good: It's technically impossible for MSU to lose 30 games in the regular season. Occasional bouts of competency. Occasional bouts of brillant goaltending by Minney. Flashes of really good defense. Some legit good showings against good teams.

Bad: Generally speaking, this team is crap.

Conclusion: You know, I think we'll all enjoy the next couple of weeks off.
                                I mostly agree, but the problems with defense stem partly with playing injured (Gatt, Holland and hopefully we get Ghafari back), partly with youth. With the right coaching this can be MSU's strength next season - no doubt about it. With everyone healthy, it could be solid THIS season.

Goaltending HAS to be more consistent. And naturally we need to cash in on power plays.

Comment

Working...
                                X