Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2016-17

Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
    I keep hoping people will quit making a mockery of this board, but I suppose that's too much to ask for.

As for the power play, it's been said all season that special teams will be the difference maker, and in the last two games that has been so true.

Goaltending - probably should get Kossoff some more time in net, but I don't think it will happen this weekend. Then again, a change in net could spark the team. I would think a change is more likely next weekend, with it being non-conference play.
    There is a feature on this board that provides the ability to report offensive posts to the board administrator. Just click on the small triangle in the lower left portion of a post. Perhaps if enough fans did so, it might convince the board admin to do something about the problem.

I agree that we'll probably see Defiel in net again tonight and that Kossoff has a decent chance of getting a start next weekend. I think it will be a big help if we can get the first goal of the game tonight, regardless of whether it's a PP goal or not. We haven't scored the first goal in our current losing streak.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
      There is a feature on this board that provides the ability to report offensive posts to the board administrator. Just click on the small triangle in the lower left portion of a post. Perhaps if enough fans did so, it might convince the board admin to do something about the problem.

I agree that we'll probably see Defiel in net again tonight and that Kossoff has a decent chance of getting a start next weekend. I think it will be a big help if we can get the first goal of the game tonight, regardless of whether it's a PP goal or not. We haven't scored the first goal in our current losing streak.
      Methinks you need to get a grip, man.

Like you, I woke up in a free country this morning, complete with the freedom of speech.

Using your same analogy, you would deem Damon Whitten's post game comments, and comments throughout the game by the Voice of the Lakers, Bill Crawford, "offensive", because they are saying essentially the same as my comments that so offend you.

I fully expect a total turnaround tonite, man, and a big victory by the good ship Laker.

Ringy Dingy!

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
        Too bad we couldn't play Ferris State and Michigan Tech earlier in the season when both teams had poor goaltending. Figures that both teams have goaltending straightened out when they play the Lakers.

What has happened to the power-play? Probably the biggest reason for the four straight losses. I know Damon has said the players try to be "too cute" and need to shoot the puck more.

This team desperately needs at least a tie tomorrow night.
        If the players need to shoot more than the coaching staff needs to make sure they do. You are not going to score goals passing the puck back and forth. You shoot and hope you get the bounce off of players in front that make it almost impossible for the goalie to make saves on. Power plays do not do you much good if you are reluctant to shoot the puck. And yes,even a tie would help .

Comment

Kossoff gets the start in goal tonight. Some other lineup changes, at least partially due to the illness of several players.

Comment

When you lose 6 out of 8 conference games as the Lakers have the last month , you find yourself digging a deep hole that makes coming back in the standings a nightmare. You also lose fans in the stands.

Comment

The good ship Laker deserved a better fate, and beat Ferris State everywhere but the scoreboard. They didn't get any bounces go their way and all the illness hurt them, along with the refs.

Methinks they will turn it around next weekend in Ann Arbor.

Ringy Dingy!

Comment

It looks like my (and a few others) prediction of the Lakers not contending for another year is probably true with so many underclassmen and not very upperclassmen on this year's roster. At least we are 6-6-0 compared to 2-8-2 at the 12 game point last season.

Congratulations to Saccoman and Morgan for their first career Laker goals. Nice to see the power-play produce again. Too bad that the defense was horrible in front of Kossoff according to Bill Crawford.
                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post

I've been tempted to just put them on the ignore list, but I've got a friend who has started writing recaps for the local paper and given how much content just gets posted by a certain user with no credit, I told my friend I would keep an eye open for people using his material without permission.

On a different subject, I keep hearing how the dimensions at Ewigleben are smaller than average, yet I keep finding dimensions listed online at 85x200. There's also something about the corners being much sharper than usual, but I get what effect that has. Anybody have some insight?
                  Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
                    I've been tempted to just put them on the ignore list, but I've got a friend who has started writing recaps for the local paper and given how much content just gets posted by a certain user with no credit, I told my friend I would keep an eye open for people using his material without permission.

On a different subject, I keep hearing how the dimensions at Ewigleben are smaller than average, yet I keep finding dimensions listed online at 85x200. There's also something about the corners being much sharper than usual, but I get what effect that has. Anybody have some insight?
                    I'm not that familiar with their arena but it seems like Bill C is frequently talking about how short the neutral zone areas are. And yes I understand the corners are unusual also.

Nice to see the offense get on track tonight. Too bad the D was so loose. It didn't sound like the goalies were letting in soft goals although I think the coaches would have liked to see Kossoff make one or two big saves on what proved to be Bulldog goals.

Comment

The corners down at the Ferris rink make for strange bounces that the home team obviously has a real home ice advantage. I have watched the Lakers play 4 series there and I remember the first time being surprised at some simple dumpins strangely finding the way to right in front of the goalie.

I still think that the Lakers are heading in the right direction.
                      BLEED BLUE

Comment

Lake Superior State fell 7-5 against Ferris State on Saturday night, suffering their second consecutive Western Collegiate Hockey Association series sweep on the three-week road trip. The Lakers (6-6-0, 4-6-0 WCHA) have now lost five straight and six of their last seven.

A high scoring game throughout, six goals were scored in the first period, giving a preview of the wild race to the finish to come. The Bulldogs (5-9-1, 4-5-1 WCHA) outscored the Lakers 2-1 in both the second and third periods to close the victory. For the second night in a row the Lakers outshot the Bulldogs, 38-32, but could not find the winning formula.

Four of the six first-period goals would go down as firsts of the careers for a pair of Bulldogs and two Laker players. Nate Kallen opened the scoring for FSU with his first collegiate goal, an unassisted shorthanded marker, just 3:22 into the contest. Luke Morgan would then tie the score at 1-1 with 13:26 remaining in the opening period with his first collegiate tally, also unassisted.

The Bulldogs responded eight seconds after Morgan's goal to reclaim the lead, 2-1, on a breakaway goal by Chad MacDonald. Macdonald's goal was assisted by Tyler Andrews and Tyler Dorantes.

With 7:11 remaining, the Lakers went on a brief five-on-three power play as Josh Nenadal returned from the box and eight seconds later, with just six seconds remaining on the two-man advantage, Diego Cuglietta redirected a shot from the blue line by Kris Bindulis which found its way behind Jason Kapelmaster to even the score at 2-2. Sophomore defenseman Owen Headrick (Garden River, Ont.) also factored on the goal with an assist, his 10th of the season, to lead WCHA defenders in assists and continue his lead among the league's defensemen in total points.

Cuglietta's goal with the two-man advantage preserved a Lakers power play for 1:34 left on a Jared VanWormer elbowing penalty. Freshman defenseman Collin Saccoman needed just 41 seconds of that time to factor into the scoresheet with his first career goal to give the Lakers a 3-2 lead. Saccoman delivered a seeing-eye shot from the blue line after J.T. Henke found him from the corner with a long pass across the ice to set up the goal. Freshman Max Humitz also added his second assist of the season on the goal.

Just under four minutes later and with 2:41 remaining in the first, sophomore defenseman Zac Tierney scored for FSU to tie the game at 3-3. Tierney's goal, his first collegiate goal, was assisted by Mitch Maloney.

The sides went into the first intermission deadlocked at 3-3 with the Lakers ahead 14-10 in the shot column.

Sophomore forward Mitch Hults gave the Lakers their second lead of the night 5:42 into the second period, shorthanded, after scooping away the puck from a defenseman's feet and put a deke on Kapelmaster before roofing a shot just under the water bottle. Hults' linemate and penalty killing partner Gage Torrel was credited on the assist, as was junior defenseman Kyle Chatham.

The 4-3 lead for the Lakers lasted just 45 seconds before VanWormer knotted things back up at 4-4 with a power-play goal set up by Cameron Clarke and Joe Rutkowski. This time the tied score would last just two and a half minutes before Corey Mackin was sprung on a breakaway after a nice scoring chance for the Lakers was broken up by Andrew Dorantes, who moved the puck ahead to Mackin. Streaking down the right side, Mackin fired in his fourth goal of the season just over Nick Kossoff's glove to give the Bulldogs a 5-4 lead.

The goal by Mackin would spell the end of Kossoff's night after giving up five goals on 20 shots and the sophomore netminder was replaced by junior Gordon Defiel who opened the series between the pipes on Friday.

Defiel made five saves to finish off the final 11 minutes of the second period to keep the Lakers within striking distance, going into the locker room trailing 5-4 and holding a slight 24-23 lead in shots.

The Bulldogs took a two-goal lead 3:54 into the third period after Gerald Mayhew hammered away a rebound created by a Maloney shot that was blocked by Defiel but was left at the doorstep for Mayhew to finish.

With 11:43 remaining in regulation, Humitz made it a one-goal game with a power-play goal for his fifth goal of the season. Humitz was able to toe drag a defender after receiving a drop-pass from Henke and buried his shot through Kapelmaster's five hole while taking a heavy check from an FSU player. Bindulis also assisted on the goal for his second helper of the night.

Mackin finished off the game with an empty net goal assisted by Dorantes to close out the 7-5 victory for the Bulldogs. The empty netter was MAckin's second tally of the evening.

Defiel was tagged for the loss, despite allowing just two goals, but was the goalie of record when Mayhew scored what would be the game-winning goal early in the third period. Defiel is now 6-5-0 on the season.

Kapelmaster improves to 5-0-0 to begin his collegiate career while recording 33 saves to hold on for the win.

After struggling on the power play over their previous four games, the Lakers broke through for three power-play goals in six tries. FSU went one-for-five on the power play for the game. Both teams also scored a shorthanded goal in the game.

LSSU remains on the road next weekend as they travel to Ann Arbor for a nonconference series at Yost Ice Arena against Michigan Nov. 25-26. The Lakers return home Dec. 2-3.

Randy Russon from www.saultthisweek.com and www.hockeynewsnorth.com will have more this week on the Hockey North Show on ESPN Radio Station 1400 on Tuesday.

Ringy Dingy!

Comment

It wasn't the corners that cost the lakers the game. It was giving up 7 goals and scoring 5 that cost them the game. I am sure Kossoff doesn't see any net time for a while and maybe not for the season. Whatever is going on, the coaching staff is paid to figure it out and let us hope they do .

Comment

It will be a big benefit the Lake Superior State Lakers not to play down at the Ferris rink, where the strange bounces give the home team a real home ice advantage. It will also be nice to potentially have no WCHA officials this weekend, who have been an "embarrassment", made "a mockery of the game", and "not allowed the Lakers to come back" in games. The Lakers couldn't buy a goal on Friday night and all the bounces went Ferris State's way on Saturday. With so many underclassmen and such a young team, the Lakers are probably another year or two from being a contender. There were lots of lineup changes this weekend due to illness. The Lakers thoroughly outplayed Ferris on the weekend and really should have won.

Methinks a sweep next weekend at Michigan is in order for the good ship Laker, man.

Ringy Dingy!
                            Last edited by LakerBaker; 11-21-2016, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                              It wasn't the corners that cost the lakers the game. It was giving up 7 goals and scoring 5 that cost them the game. I am sure Kossoff doesn't see any net time for a while and maybe not for the season. Whatever is going on, the coaching staff is paid to figure it out and let us hope they do .
                              Kossoff has struggled all year. Even in the exhibition game he seemed to look really shaky. I could see him getting a start in one of the upcoming non conference games against Michigan or Omaha, but they need to go with Defiel for the WCHA games at this point.

Comment

Tune into the Hockey North Show tonite 5 p.m. on ESPN Radio Station 1400 http://stream.1400espn.net with veteran sports writer and broadcaster Randy Russon of www.saultthisweek.com and www.hockeynewsnorth.com, the best in the area, who brings his over 40 years of experience covering the hockey world, including the Damon Whitten led Lake Superior State University Lakers.

Ringy Dingy!

Comment

Working...
                                X