Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Originally posted by uwisco View Post
    goaltending is by far the biggest question mark in future seasons. Berry has been mediocre in his time in net. Lebedeff is putting up decent numbers for janesville this year but he isn’t the starting goalie on an nahl team and that has to be saying something. The staff needs to solve the goaltending dilemma.
    Red Alert! Red alert!
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Are we tracking decommits? Or non-going-pro-early departures?
      I haven't been tracking decommits. Just removing them from the spreadsheet when they do.
      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

With the Abate news, it would seem the numbers at forward make a lot more sense. Maybe if another Eaves era commit forward reconsiders their future, there suddenly is space for a Caufield or 2 or maybe even a Rizzo.

The D numbers are still pretty stacked on the future depth chart. Jake Bunz was brought in as a walk on (last minute desperation at that if my memory serves me correctly) and was never expected to play a game day role. The fact that he has is a testimony to the craptacular D recruiting in the twilight of the Eaves era. At this point Sexton, has not played a minute this year and barring injuries I don't see that changing next year. One would think he either is comfortable being a depth player or seeks playing time as a grad transfer elsewhere. Tischke I would suspect would garner some interest at the pro level as a lotto ticket UFA and it may be a good time for him to cash in see if he can catch on with a pro team and take the next step in his development. On the kids lined up, I would think Emberson and Miller are definitely coming based on draft rankings/ability. I suspect Peltonen based on turning 20 next Summer is also coming. The Krygier brothers don't turn 18 until May so I really don't understand why there would be a rush to bring them in when another year in Lincoln is probably the best for all parties.

Ideally you want 7-8 dmen on your roster. While we have 10 currently, Bunz is again a walkon never expected to play a role, Hurley is a converted forward, and Sexton has been a part time role player to this point and that is unlikely to change. Hurley, Linhart, and Davidson exhaust their eligibility at seasons end. If you bring Emberson, Miller, and Peltonen in to replace those 3 you are back to 10 assuming Sexton and Bunz even want to stay as your 5th pairing. My guess is both Sexton and Bunz are close to done with school and will not have any interest in coming back (maybe if Tischke goes pro, one stays as the #8 guy).

Goaltending does seem to be the biggest question going forward. Berry had a pretty darn good freshman year considering the d corp on the ice in front of him and a team that had an identity of wanting to play run and gun. I would not be surprised to see a late bloomer or another grad transfer find their way into the mix.
        Last edited by markwojo; 11-07-2017, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
          Goaltending does seem to be the biggest question going forward. Berry had a pretty darn good freshman year considering the d corp on the ice in front of him and a team that had an identity of wanting to play run and gun. I would not be surprised to see a late bloomer or another grad transfer find their way into the mix.
          Maybe MJ can send a goalie over next year from his team, he will have 5 on the roster, 4 that are legit and 1 more of a practice goalie. Maybe Nik Cece or Kris Campbell. I think the grad transfer is almost impossible to pull off considering what Hayton had to take in one summer. I think my head would have exploded.

Comment

I believe Hurley could actually have one more year of eligibility as he didn't play a game in 15-16.

There's a handful of good looking uncommitted USHL goalies, plus a few others around. There's a Russian kid who's name escapes me at the moment that's looking great early on. Of course not all these USHL'ers are in it to play college hockey. Just most of them. I think Lebedeff actually would have two years of junior eligibility left, so if they wanted to push him back they certainly could do that if he's not looking ready.

I'm interested to see if they sign more than Messner, Ranta, Emberson, and Miller to NLI's. To me that's going to be an indicator of how they're going to handle things going forward, as far as maybe looking at some late bloomers to mix in with the super stars or picking off any late de-commits.

Watched a little of the U-17's the other day, and Lindmark and Turcotte are looking very impressive.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Hurley would have a year of eligibility, but I suspect he is in the same boat as Bunz and Sexton where the significant uptick in recruiting doesn't leave much opportunity to see the ice.

I would guess the Russian goalie you are thinking of is Zhukov in Green Bay who was drafted in the 4th round by Vegas. Another drafted goalie in the USHL looking for a college scholarship is Filip Larsson of TriCity who the Wings took in round 6 2 drafts ago. Both are off to great starts in the USHL. Another young guy doing well early in the USHL is Jared Moe in Waterloo. Wouter Peeters is another NHL drafted goalie that might be worth a look. He went in the 3rd round in 2016 to the Hawks and you would think the Granato connection will have Wisconsin aware of him (he hasn't come out of the gate in North America well in his first 2 USHL games in Youngstown). I don't think you can go Berry Lebedeff next season unless Lebedeff really breaks out. I suspect someone else comes in and Lebedeff is more of a replacement when Berry moves on in a couple seasons.

Comment

Milewski just posted an article stating that he believes that Ranta, Cruikshank, Messner, Miller, and Emberson will sign in the coming week. He also stated that after the Hayton/Jurusik situation came into play, a different goaltending plan would need to happen. Either bringing in Lebedeff this year or finding a new recruit all together.
                WISCONSIN BADGERS
                NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                  Hurley would have a year of eligibility, but I suspect he is in the same boat as Bunz and Sexton where the significant uptick in recruiting doesn't leave much opportunity to see the ice.

I would guess the Russian goalie you are thinking of is Zhukov in Green Bay who was drafted in the 4th round by Vegas. Another drafted goalie in the USHL looking for a college scholarship is Filip Larsson of TriCity who the Wings took in round 6 2 drafts ago. Both are off to great starts in the USHL. Another young guy doing well early in the USHL is Jared Moe in Waterloo. Wouter Peeters is another NHL drafted goalie that might be worth a look. He went in the 3rd round in 2016 to the Hawks and you would think the Granato connection will have Wisconsin aware of him (he hasn't come out of the gate in North America well in his first 2 USHL games in Youngstown). I don't think you can go Berry Lebedeff next season unless Lebedeff really breaks out. I suspect someone else comes in and Lebedeff is more of a replacement when Berry moves on in a couple seasons.
                  I did a little research to jog my brain and I was thinking of Mikhail Berdin at Sioux Falls, mainly because I have a friend who has seen him a few times and was really high on him. In looking though, I haven't seen any indication either he or Zhukov are looking to play college hockey at all. Berdin (4th round Vegas) really doesn't look like it. Zhukov I don't really know for sure, but I can't find anything that indicates he's looking to go NCAA.

Filip Larsson looks like the cream of the crop at the moment, and he is definitely looking to play NCAA. Anybody seen him in Madison?? I checked and unfortunately Tri-City doesn't play @ the Caps this year.

I think Wouter is off the board as he apparently signed a tryout contract with Rockford last year.

I agree that unless something drastic changes, we are looking for a goalie for next year other than Lebedeff. Finding a goalie has got to be the worst part of recruiting. How do you know if they're going to be any good? Most of them look like Patrick Roy one night, and Patrick Star the next!
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                    Lebedeff is putting up decent numbers for Janesville this year but he isn’t the starting goalie on an NAHL team and that has to be saying something.

I said that about Jurusik and took some heat a couple years ago. I know the circustance was different, but not much.

Players are in the NAHL and not the USHL for a reason.
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                      I said that about Jurusik and took some heat a couple years ago. I know the circustance was different, but not much.

Players are in the NAHL and not the USHL for a reason.
                      Jurusic has all the right physical attributes, big, great glove, moves well... I think we just blew up his confidence with all those unstoppable shots he had to face year one and he became more and more tentative as time went on. Who knows if he'll ever really get his mojo back. Hopefully he does.

Only about a third of the 45 or so D-1 goalies with a better save% than Hayton has right now played in the USHL. 3 of top 5 didn't. There's only 17 starting USHL goalies at a time, so there's some pretty good 18 year olds that go to the NAHL for minutes, rather then sit behind a 20 year old for the season. True though, that a few of the best are definitely going to be USHL players.

There's also 132 Junior A Canadian teams, and there's some great talent in goal there every year too. There's an uncommitted 20 year old leading the OJHL right now, Mario Cavaliere. His stats are terriffic, but what's more important is that Mario Cavaliere is one great hockey name. I'd offer him tomorrow just based on that alone.
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                        Jurusic has all the right physical attributes, big, great glove, moves well... I think we just blew up his confidence with all those unstoppable shots he had to face year one and he became more and more tentative as time went on. Who knows if he'll ever really get his mojo back. Hopefully he does.

Only about a third of the 45 or so D-1 goalies with a better save% than Hayton has right now played in the USHL. 3 of top 5 didn't. There's only 17 starting USHL goalies at a time, so there's some pretty good 18 year olds that go to the NAHL for minutes, rather then sit behind a 20 year old for the season. True though, that a few of the best are definitely going to be USHL players.

There's also 132 Junior A Canadian teams, and there's some great talent in goal there every year too. There's an uncommitted 20 year old leading the OJHL right now, Mario Cavaliere. His stats are terriffic, but what's more important is that Mario Cavaliere is one great hockey name. I'd offer him tomorrow just based on that alone.
                        As soon as I saw his name, I had the same reaction as you! I was thinking we need more Quebecois but I see he's from Ontario. Great name regardless.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                          As soon as I saw his name, I had the same reaction as you! I was thinking we need more Quebecois but I see he's from Ontario. Great name regardless.
                          A UW goalie from Ontario... hmm... Cujo and Els were not too bad. I think maybe we're on to something!

Elsewhere, Ty Emberson was named player of the game in the U18's shoot out loss to the Swiss at the Five Nations Cup.

In regards to NLI signing - The U18's are in Finland and it seems to me that they usually do signings together for press so perhaps they have a scheduled time for it coming up. It's late afternoon there now and they play Sweden at 9am EST tomorrow, then have games Saturday and Sunday. Maybe they will wait until next week?

Glad to know Sampo Ranta has signed though. He's going to be an exciting player to watch. Great skates, good size, hard worker, tremendous shot. I really, really like him.
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                            Glad to know Sampo Ranta has signed though. He's going to be an exciting player to watch. Great skates, good size, hard worker, tremendous shot. I really, really like him.
                            And he has an awesome name to boot.

Comment

Hmm... It is looking like Mario Cavaliere is not in the cards...

Another Finn! Goalie Daniel Lebedeff has signed his NLI today. Obviously UW staff has confidence in his progress and his future. Lebedeff was recruited by Mich St., Omaha, WMU, and others before committing to the Badgers last year.

Welcome aboard Daniel!
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

We all love our North Americans, but IMO these days, we cannot have enough Finns and Swedes. Exceptional talent.

BTW, for a Finn Lebedeff has a pretty tame name. Sometimes the last names stretch from elbow to elbow and the first names sound Vulcan*.

*Don't judge me; I don't know much about Star Trek, but I'm a Big Bang Theory fan.
                                Last edited by MadCityRich; 11-09-2017, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X