Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    R-E-L-A-X, mnstate0fconfusion! I didn't think I had to put in a winking eye emoji when talking with Gopher fan....at least I never had to before. Methinks your sphincter is tight!! (No emoji intended).
    Glad you weren't upset. Wasn't intending to troll. My bad on misinterpreting your comments. I just think it's an interesting topic. Certainly isn't unique to UW. Seen many a coach use this tactic with recruiting over the past three decades. Will be interesting to see how it plays out at UW.

Anyways, it is nice to have UW back to form. Makes the games and rivalry that much more fun. One of my favorite rivalries.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      Far be it for me to say something good about Wooger, but if over recruiting got him in trouble, it was only after a dozen years on one of the best runs in NCAA history. I imagine if he had not been forced to play with gopher players in the post season, his teams probably wouldn't have choked so much in all his FF appearances. But some school traditions are just nearly impossible to overcome...

Beyond that, I think it's much ado about nothing. Or at least very little. The gentleman's agreement is largely dead, so what does "being committed" even mean anymore? The 15 year old is saying, "given a choice right now, I prefer to go to school X in 3-4 years". The coach is saying, "we want you to come to our school in 3-4 years." But that comes with the caveat that the player continues to develop as a top candidate. Kids know they can't just play video games for 3 years and have a guaranteed spot. And coaches know that if a kid is really good, every team in the country will happily find a spot for them. There's been plenty of "decommits" among good players in recent years, too.

I understand why players, parents and coaches seek commitments, but the whole thing is becoming largely symbolic. Other fans fretting about Wisco commits can concern all they want, but it won't change the fact that in the next years, a lot of the very best players are going to become Badgers anyway.
      Woog had a great run thru the late 80's to early 90's, but his rep had soured in-state near the end of his tenure. I played high school hockey in MN in the early 90's. While I wasn't talented enough to earn D1 attention, the hockey community is a small one and the stories spread. Lots of kids upset at committing only to not be offered a scholarship or roster spot in the end.

I generally agree with most of your sentiments on the gentlemen's agreement and commitments in general. I think the GA is bad for players and I do think verbal commitments are over valued. Like you, I hope we see a further shift away from the GA and have more open recruiting until the LOI is signed.

But until the landscape changes and more teams and players themselves stop putting so much emphasis on the verbal, it will be an interesting dynamic to watch. Who knows, maybe this staff really is ahead of the curve.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
        Glad you weren't upset. Wasn't intending to troll. My bad on misinterpreting your comments. I just think it's an interesting topic. Certainly isn't unique to UW. Seen many a coach use this tactic with recruiting over the past three decades. Will be interesting to see how it plays out at UW.

Anyways, it is nice to have UW back to form. Makes the games and rivalry that much more fun. One of my favorite rivalries.
        Well said. It's nice to actually have a discussion on a message board that doesn't resolve itself in a negative way.
        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post

👌
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Was surpised to see Aleksi Peltonen did not make the Omaha Lancers and is playing in the NAHL for Corpus Christi. He seemed to be more highly touted than his brother who is a defenseman, and his brother made the Omaha roster (perhaps the defenseman crop for Omaha was weaker, but still a surprise to me).

One suggestion for the recruiting spreadsheet...put Owen Lindmark in 2019-2020 and move Jack Gorniak to 2020-2021. I can't see Lindmark playing another year of Juniors after playing for the USNTDP and think it more likely Gorniak may need 2 years of Juniors before hitting UW.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
              One suggestion for the recruiting spreadsheet...put Owen Lindmark in 2019-2020 and move Jack Gorniak to 2020-2021. I can't see Lindmark playing another year of Juniors after playing for the USNTDP and think it more likely Gorniak may need 2 years of Juniors before hitting UW.
              I'm still seeing Lindmark listed as a '20-'21 on a few different sites and considering he's still 16, I'll leave him there for the moment.

Those years are messy enough on the sheet as they are. Haha.

Comment

Was surpised to see Aleksi Peltonen did not make the Omaha Lancers and is playing in the NAHL for Corpus Christi. He seemed to be more highly touted than his brother who is a defenseman, and his brother made the Omaha roster (perhaps the defenseman crop for Omaha was weaker, but still a surprise to me).

I'm surprised as well... hmmm... If Aleksi and maybe Bliss don't make the grade, that leaves 5 out, 5 in next year, assuming Freddy turns pro. If Seamus has a great year and goes, we'd possibly be beating the bushes for a forward.

I do like seeing Messner and Dom Mersch wearing the C's for the Caps and Lincoln Stars.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                  I'm surprised as well... hmmm... If Aleksi and maybe Bliss don't make the grade, that leaves 5 out, 5 in next year, assuming Freddy turns pro. If Seamus has a great year and goes, we'd possibly be beating the bushes for a forward.

I do like seeing Messner and Dom Mersch wearing the C's for the Caps and Lincoln Stars.
                  There's plenty of guys who are already committed who can come in a year earlier than planned.

Comment

There's plenty of guys who are already committed who can come in a year earlier than planned.
                    True, there's quite a bit of flexibility for next year depending on who does well.

I mentioned before, but Cruikshank is also wearing the C for Penticton, so that's 3 F captains, which is a pretty good sign of the kind of kids they are. Always like that.

I've heard that Sampo Ranta is looking really good early on. Speaking of which, here's Jurusic making a nice save, and a hatty by Sampo in the Fall Classic.
                    Originally posted by WiscTJK
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                    Originally posted by Timothy A
                    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Cole Caufield just loked Maddie Posick's tweet. Caufileds to the Badgers confirmed.

https://***********/maddieposick/sta...69893269843969

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
                        Cole Caufield just loked Maddie Posick's tweet. Caufileds to the Badgers confirmed.

https://***********/maddieposick/sta...69893269843969

I agree. A like of a dog picture counts as a verbal confirmation.

Comment

Per Heisenberg, USHL, and Gamblers website, Bliss is no longer committed to Wisconsin.
                          WISCONSIN BADGERS
                          NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                          WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                          WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                          B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                          Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                            Per Heisenberg, USHL, and Gamblers website, Bliss is no longer committed to Wisconsin.
                            I have updated the sheet.

Comment

Another Eaves recruit gone. Is there more of this to come yet?
                              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                                Another Eaves recruit gone. Is there more of this to come yet?
                                You would have to guess so.

Comment

Working...
                                X