PDA

View Full Version : DW - the end??

GTOWN
09-14-2016, 01:30 PM
2 girls from last year's DW team have transferred to Castleton hoping to make the team as walk-ons and the coach is applying to multiple schools. A sad end to a program that never really got off the ground.....

Hammer
09-14-2016, 02:50 PM
If that's the case, they're down to 7 players from last year's roster. If there isn't a sizeable freshmen class, then say goodnight. It's over.

SNHUPenman
09-14-2016, 03:07 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens to the entire athletic department going forward...

GTOWN
09-14-2016, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=Hammer;6358156]If that's the case, they're down to 7 players from last year's roster. If there isn't a sizeable freshmen class, then say goodnight. It's over.[/QUOTE

it was a tough go even before the latest news, recruits were changing their minds this spring and bailing on the program.

shelfit
09-16-2016, 01:51 PM
As someone else mentioned, this program was done before they ever really got off the ground. The coach talked to girls on our team and they were very unimpressed by him and what he had to say.

sasnyc
09-16-2016, 02:03 PM
for us newbies, what school is DW?

jericho
09-16-2016, 02:10 PM

Daniel Webster

WiscDC
09-16-2016, 03:21 PM

DW Read, Arthur's younger sister.

GTOWN
09-16-2016, 04:30 PM
As someone else mentioned, this program was done before they ever really got off the ground. The coach talked to girls on our team and they were very unimpressed by him and what he had to say.

I had heard that his recruiting skills needed polishing (although it can't be easy recruiting for a program with 7 skaters) but that he's actually a good coach.

Scott_TG
09-16-2016, 04:52 PM
I had heard that his recruiting skills needed polishing (although it can't be easy recruiting for a program with 7 skaters) but that he's actually a good coach.

I imagine it's not easy recruiting for a for-profit institution which typically don't have the academic reputations which would compound the problem, and looking at how everything is going for DW one can't blame those who didn't sign on.

Hammer
09-16-2016, 05:55 PM

The one thing you could sell is playing time. "If you come here, and work hard, you'll get all the ice time you've ever wanted. You'll have ice time coming out of your ears."

That's one part where I could never figure out how some teams are chronically under-rostered. That's an easy selling point: come here and YOU WILL PLAY!!

shelfit
09-16-2016, 09:20 PM
The one thing you could sell is playing time. "If you come here, and work hard, you'll get all the ice time you've ever wanted. You'll have ice time coming out of your ears."

That's one part where I could never figure out how some teams are chronically under-rostered. That's an easy selling point: come here and YOU WILL PLAY!!

That's not a selling point for good players that want to be on a competitive team that will actually win games. That's a selling point for players that nobody else wants. That's why rosters are short and/or of poor quality for some teams year after year. Most good players would rather not play on teams that lose all the time.

Hammer
09-17-2016, 10:57 AM
When you've got 8-9 players on the roster, you'd better put first things first. Get the roster size up to a decent size. Then upgrade from there.

shelfit
09-17-2016, 11:23 AM
When you've got 8-9 players on the roster, you'd better put first things first. Get the roster size up to a decent size. Then upgrade from there.

Easier said than done. That's definitely the theory but a lot of schools only attract subpar players every year regardless of who the coach is.

hockey55
09-17-2016, 04:55 PM

What team are you with shelfit?

Scott_TG
09-19-2016, 04:46 PM
DW women's hockey coach is now replacing Steph Moberg as HC at Castleton (http://www.castletonsports.com/sports/wice/2016-17/releases/20160919nnmgue)

GTOWN
09-19-2016, 11:07 PM
Have to imagine that's the end of hockey at DW. Especially given all their other issues, cant see them running a program this year