Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Some observations from last night's game at Princeton.

I don't believe Dr. D and Jenny were there. When they have come to Princeton games in the past, they have been quite conspicuous, since they always dress in fur coats for Baker Rink. I looked all around for a couple in fur coats, but saw none.

I wanted to see goals, so in that regard, I got my wish. Power play problems? What power play problems? I'll take 4-for-5 with the man advantage any time I can get it.

Things looked pretty good after Polino scored late in the first period to increase the lead to 3-1. They looked a whole lot better after RPI held that lead for more than half the second period and then increased it to 4-1 on Hayhurst's second goal of the night.

Then one of the linesmen blew his whistle when nothing seemed to be happening. Neither referee had raised his arm, but eventually it became clear that the linesman had called RPI for having too many men on the ice - just an awful penalty to take when you have a three-goal lead. And soon thereafter, the lead was down to two.

After that goal, RPI got the puck into the Princeton end and was putting on some pressure, until a Princeton player got control of the puck and started out from behind his net - and got tripped up, 200 feet from the RPI goal - another absolutely awful penalty to take when you are trying to keep the other team from mounting a comeback. And exactly one minute after RPI's lead had been reduced from three to two, it was reduced to one.

All I could think of was Dr. D's often-repeated complaint - "We cannot stand prosperity."

Princeton's game program noted that going into the weekend, the Tigers had scored only six third-period goals this season while giving up 15. Looked like they might be as much subject to the "dreaded third period" blues as RPI has been.

I was hoping that might be the case again, but it wasn't. Princeton dominated the third period. I didn't think it was as bad as the official shot totals of 25 to 3 indicated, but it was certainly true that Princeton had the puck in RPI's zone a lot more than I would have liked to see it.

Even so, Liljegren finally succeeded on one of his wraparound attempts, and the lead was back up to two, and things were looking pretty good until a penalty was called with about 7 minutes to play. I thought that if RPI could kill off that penalty, leaving Princeton still two goals down with 5 minutes to play, it could be really big.

And technically, they did kill off the penalty. The RPI band, which was at the game, started counting down the final seconds as they ticked off the penalty clock. "Five - four - three - two - one -..."

But just as the penalty clock hit zero and Wilson stepped out of the penalty box, a Princeton player let go with a slapper from center point, and it found its way into the net. What was about to be a full-throated "YAAAY" from the band turned into an abortive "Ya."

Still leading by one goal, RPI took yet another penalty with about 4 minutes to play, but this one they truly did kill off. And they managed to keep the puck out of their end for most of the next minute. Finally, with 1:08 to play, Princeton forced a faceoff in the RPI end and pulled their goalie.

RPI just never got the puck out of their zone. They almost got to the puck a couple of times, but just could never quite get control.

With 44 seconds to play, a Princeton player took what looked to be a fairly harmless shot from way over near the left-wing boards, and it went in. I don't know whether it deflected off an RPI defender's stick, or whether Hackett was screened, or he just missed one that he should have had. But it tied the game, and at that point it looked like whatever remnants of confidence RPI's players had left in themselves vanished into the night. The overtime power play goal seemed almost anticlimactic, although the Princeton players sure got a kick out of it.

Those who remember the Li'l Abner comic strip may remember a character named Joe Btfsplk, the world's worst jinx, who walked around with a perpetual black cloud over his head. Right now, it feels like RPI has the Joe Btfsplk of college hockey teams.

Comment

Nice summary, Waite21.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

One thing to note: over 40 games last year, we took 219 fewer shots than our opponents. Pretty bad, but still about 46% of the total shots in our games. That, coupled with a middling shooting percentage of 8.4% put us as one of the weaker offensive teams. This year through 18 games we're already at a -172 shot differential (or on pace to be about -324 after the regular season). That's just terrible. Building off that, our shooting percentage has slipped below 8% and our goaltending isn't Jason Kasdorf any more, so we're getting killed.

The shot differential problem is driven by coaching and systems, but the drop in both shooting and save percentages are much more factors of the talent that's on the ice. Seth can't put the puck in the net. Seth doesn't reach out and make us shank half of the passes we attempt. I'll agree that it's probably time for a new voice behind the bench, but the possibility exists that the 25 men on our team this year just aren't very good at hockey.
        RPI Pep Band
        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
          One thing to note: over 40 games last year, we took 219 fewer shots than our opponents. Pretty bad, but still about 46% of the total shots in our games. That, coupled with a middling shooting percentage of 8.4% put us as one of the weaker offensive teams. This year through 18 games we're already at a -172 shot differential (or on pace to be about -324 after the regular season). That's just terrible. Building off that, our shooting percentage has slipped below 8% and our goaltending isn't Jason Kasdorf any more, so we're getting killed.

The shot differential problem is driven by coaching and systems, but the drop in both shooting and save percentages are much more factors of the talent that's on the ice. Seth can't put the puck in the net. Seth doesn't reach out and make us shank half of the passes we attempt. I'll agree that it's probably time for a new voice behind the bench, but the possibility exists that the 25 men on our team this year just aren't very good at hockey.
          Shortening the bench doesn't help much, either. If you want to look at why we're getting killed in the third period, just look there. I understand you want to have trustworthy players out there, but if you don't trust some of the 18 skaters wearing that uniform, then why the hell are they wearing that uniform?

Comment

I agree with much of what's been written here regarding the current state of affairs. It does very much feel like a Lake Superior scenario - sliding into the abyss. I've stayed away from posting in the interest of my blood pressure.

As much as I'm a fan of Col. Knowlton, I thought it was a HUGE over reaction to extend Seth when he was dangling the DU opening as bait. I NEVER believed (and still don't) Seth was a finalist for that job - Monty was their guy all the way. Regardless of how things played out at DU, The Col. should've wished Seth luck with his application and quietly begun his coaching target list.

That said, AD Lee McElroy did nothing but build winning programs at UA---Football, Basketball, Lacrosse, women's field hockey, etc. Not to mention the incredible transformation of their once tired facilities.

My point --If he's fully engaged in the RPIjob --and not in semi- retirement mode--the AD needs to take action. Silence is not an option.
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

You can't shoot the puck if you are constantly in the penalty box. It takes a lot of energy out of players, and they can't get into a rhythm with their line mates. I really hope he sits a couple of players next Friday and Saturday.

Comment

One thing to note: over 40 games last year, we took 219 fewer shots than our opponents. Pretty bad, but still about 46% of the total shots in our games. That, coupled with a middling shooting percentage of 8.4% put us as one of the weaker offensive teams. This year through 18 games we're already at a -172 shot differential (or on pace to be about -324 after the regular season). That's just terr ible. Building off that, our shooting percentage has slipped below 8% and our goaltending isn't Jason Kasdorf any more, so we're getting killed.

Bingo! Losing faceoffs, turnovers, bad passes, unable to control play and move the puck, taking penalties because we can't keep up - just not a winning formula.

But at least we play Brown again this week....

Comment

Originally posted by Go Puckman View Post
                  You can't shoot the puck if you are constantly in the penalty box. It takes a lot of energy out of players, and they can't get into a rhythm with their line mates. I really hope he sits a couple of players next Friday and Saturday.
                  This is certainly true, but before this weekend's -11 differential, we'd had just one fewer power play opportunity than our opposition (that said, the -70 on the shot clock this week is a huge part of the problem I described in my first post). Unfortunately I can't get any more specific about actual time shorthanded without scouring every game sheet, but I don't know that penalties alone describe the issue. I do think we can say that other teams make much better use of their power play time than we do with our patented Pass-Pass-Pass-Turnover™ system.
                  RPI Pep Band
                  🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

What a terrible, terrible, f-ing nightmare of a season. I'm not smart enough to know how to solve this - but another poster recently said that from the AD's perspective, silence is not an option. The fans, the players, and the the parents DESERVE decisive action at the end of this $hitshow. Can't wait for summer - never thought I'd ever say that about RPI hockey.

Comment

Ralph, this is not a fun ride.
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPI-Hockey-s...-/302156909283
                        RPI Class of 2012
                        Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Overpriced by $49.99.

Comment

Do people think this team is that much worse than the 2011-12 season? That team also started 3-16-1, including wins against Brown, RIT, and ArizonaMinnesota State. Like this year, that team had a lot of trouble scoring and was coming off a season where an extremely talented goalie left early. It's not much comfort to say that things have been this bad recently, but I don't remember this level of fan angst that year. Thoughts?
                            RPI Pep Band
                            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Do people think this team is that much worse than the 2011-12 season? That team also started 3-16-1, including wins against Brown, RIT, and ArizonaMinnesota State. Like this year, that team had a lot of trouble scoring and was coming off a season where an extremely talented goalie left early. It's not much comfort to say that things have been this bad recently, but I don't remember this level of fan angst that year. Thoughts?
                              That seemed more of a "rebuilding" after what we saw 09-11. The "fan angst" is much more comparable to 08-09, whether nothing was going right, we couldn't put the puck in the net, and people wanted Appert fired (surprisingly enough, I was not in that crew; a new coach deserves a chance to get a system going). At this point, we want consistency, and not consistently ****.

Comment

that's easy, we are 5 years removed from the supposed bottom, and things have gotten worse. Especially, after last year, where it appeared there was a fundamental improvement in effort and performance, and today it's worse than it's ever been.
                                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Working...
                                X