Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    I will hold back judgement on this team until January. A person I respect once told me that the ECAC season doesn't start until then.
    Really....doesn't take much to satisfy you!
    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by son-of-alumn View Post
      bottom line is RPI has ZERO recruiting presence here in the east/northeast. they don't even look at players who express interest. the staff has decided on a very different approach and seems they really don't have the connections needed to go after top talent in MN or Canada. so basically they're just getting second tier players from those areas, unfortunately.

I suspect that the staff thinks that there is too much competition from more local teams in New England which is probably what you meant by northeast. We do have players however were in NE when we recruited the. Jake Wood played at the Gunnery and Charles Manley at the Selects Hockey Academy (South Kent) are the two who come to mind. We do have what must be one of the most diverse backgrounds of any set of players.

As to looking at players who express interest, you obviously know of at least one case. Did this player end up at a comparable or better hockey program? I think that many players who try to sell themselves to schools are of a lower quality.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        Welcome son of alumn.
        But I cannot agree with you. We have players from NJ and NY (six in all).
        As for the second tier comment, I don't think so. JMO.
        What we have not had great success in, is recruiting a genuine scorer. We haven't had one since Polacek graduated.
        If someone doesn't step into that slot soon, it is going to be a very long year.
        I will hold back judgement on this team until January. A person I respect once told me that the ECAC season doesn't start until then.
        Based on what I've seen in the recruit threads, I wouldn't say we haven't had scorers. Haggerty, Zalewski, Laliberté, and Nanne come to mind. Is the team using that talent to the best of its potential? Is it being harnessed, rather than hindered, when taking general team process into account?

Comment

[/QUOTE]I will hold back judgement on this team until January. A person I respect once told me that the ECAC season doesn't start until then.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but last I checked, the NCAA's criteria for tournament selection treats the entire season equally.... Even if we rip through the ECAC the second half, our 2-8-1 start means if we don't win the conference tournament flat out, we are done.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonMike View Post
            Perhaps, but last I checked, the NCAA's criteria for tournament selection treats the entire season equally.... Even if we rip through the ECAC the second half, our 2-8-1 start means if we don't win the conference tournament flat out, we are done.
            Did we expect an at-large bid anyway? Our best path to the tournament is always going to be the autobid.
            RPI Pep Band
            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
              Did we expect an at-large bid anyway? Our best path to the tournament is always going to be the autobid.
              2010-11 can go to some people's heads...

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                Oh, I have no expectations - or delusions for that matter. That includes assuming two easy wins when my family and I finally get to see them live here in AZ in a couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Based on what I've seen in the recruit threads, I wouldn't say we haven't had scorers. Haggerty, Zalewski, Laliberté, and Nanne come to mind. Is the team using that talent to the best of its potential? Is it being harnessed, rather than hindered, when taking general team process into account?
                  Laliberte had 30 goals in 138 games (138-30-47-77). That's stretching the definition of "scorer." Brad Tapper was a scorer (106-65-51-116). So was Murley. So were some guys named Oates, Carter, Servinis, and Jooris... the list could go on.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonMike View Post
                    Oh, I have no expectations - or delusions for that matter. That includes assuming two easy wins when my family and I finally get to see them live here in AZ in a couple weeks.
                    I have tickets - - where is this arena anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by vicious View Post
                      Laliberte had 30 goals in 138 games (138-30-47-77). That's stretching the definition of "scorer." Brad Tapper was a scorer (106-65-51-116). So was Murley. So were some guys named Oates, Carter, Servinis, and Jooris... the list could go on.
                      I think he was referring to scoring before getting to Troy.
                      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Neither Haggs ( http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45402 ) or Lou ( http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=150969 ) were scorers before getting here. The only F’s on the current Roster (sans Burgess) who were GOAL scorers prior were; Jespar, Bourbs & Wiffen, all the others who had respectable point totals (all their Jr. Teams included) were mainly by assists.
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Did anyone hear this?
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Good story. Go to cbs6albany.com and scroll down to Upstate Sports Edge to view the story.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                              Good story. Go to cbs6albany.com and scroll down to Upstate Sports Edge to view the story.
                              Thanks. When I looked yesterday I was looking for a story mentioning the goalies in the headline, not one about the OSU game. It was interesting to hear the discussion about our previous games vs. OSU. There was no mention of the fourth game which we played vs. OSU which we call an exhibition and they call a real game (8-5 RPI win).
                              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-16-2016, 08:09 AM.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                                Really....doesn't take much to satisfy you!
                                You are right, all it takes to satisfy me is scoring one more goal that the opposition.
                                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                                Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                                X