Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHA Ups Scholarship Limit to 18

http://atlantichockeyonline.com/news/2016/9/7/MHOCKEY_0907163448.aspx

On paper, this would be a challenge for AFA, Army, and RIT, as scholarships are moot. Meanwhile, their brethren can now add more juice.
    Bentley University Hockey
    On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Re: AHA Ups Scholarship Limit to 18

Boosting the rest of the league boosts the ability of those teams also to recruit. As does the improvement of the three home arenas mentioned in the article.

Comment

Very welcome news, will this take affect for the 2017 / 2018 season?

This will close the gap significantly. While they mention all teams voted in favour, I suspect a small percentage will likely not award the full amount of 18. Will be interesting in a few years to see the competitive landscape within the conference.

Comment

Good to see!
        Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Anyone in the WCHA thinking that they may poach a team or two from AHA can kiss that fantasy goodbye. If UAA and UAF end, then you can pretty much kiss the WCHA goodbye before 2020 and say hello to a reformed CCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            Anyone in the WCHA thinking that they may poach a team or two from AHA can kiss that fantasy goodbye. If UAA and UAF end, then you can pretty much kiss the WCHA goodbye before 2020 and say hello to a reformed CCHA.
            I agree with that. I see teams being added from AHA only if we lose UAA and UAF, and in that case it most likely would be under a resurrected CCHA name. And if Minnesota State does wind up going to the NCHC in a few seasons, that would create room for even another AHA team if they were interested.

Comment

This is very good news although I am concerned that this may price the sport beyond the reach of some schools. I am almost more excited about the arena news.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                Very welcome news, will this take affect for the 2017 / 2018 season?

This will close the gap significantly. While they mention all teams voted in favour, I suspect a small percentage will likely not award the full amount of 18. Will be interesting in a few years to see the competitive landscape within the conference.
                No they will all award 18.

All it costs the school to increase from 16 to 18 is a seat in a classroom and a dorm room. They don't pay the students.

Comment

Originally posted by Go___Tech_Gold View Post
                  No they will all award 18.

All it costs the school to increase from 16 to 18 is a seat in a classroom and a dorm room. They don't pay the students.
                  I guarantee at least one of them won't offer any.

Just because they're allotted 18 doesn't mean they have to give them. I wonder if some of the eastern AHC schools give any for ice hockey at all; UCONN didn't when they were in the AHA.

Comment

RIT, AFA, and Army still cannot give any athletic scholarships however, correct?

RIT Hockey FB Group
                    Facebook.com/groups/RITtigershockey

RIT '13

Comment

Originally posted by StimulisRK View Post
                      RIT, AFA, and Army still cannot give any athletic scholarships however, correct?
                      Along with the Ivies and Union, those are the only ones.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Well technically the service academies don't give scholarships because tuition is already $0.

The Ivies as a group choose not to give athletic scholarships, but they aren't prohibited from doing so.

RIT and Union are the only teams prohibited by the NCAA from giving scholarships. Union chose not to join the grandfather clause allowing D3 playups to give them (and still expresses no interest in doing so).
                        RIT went D1 after the rule was made and therefore is the only school not giving scholarships against their will.
                        RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

This is probably a dumb question, but could the AFA join a western conference now? What's the incentive to stay in AH if they can schedule Army non-conference?
                          BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
                            This is probably a dumb question, but could the AFA join a western conference now? What's the incentive to stay in AH if they can schedule Army non-conference?
                            Might be because they get to play Army two to three times a year in the AHA and only once if they weren't in the conference. Plus...with Navy joining D-1 in hockey and the AHA, it's a party! (please note, I have no evidence to support this statement!)

Back to scholarships, it's a shame the NCAA has a rule that reduces a teams ability to compete (not that RIT is hurting from it for the most part) but imagine if they could offer them, I think they would!
                            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Along with the Ivies and Union, those are the only ones.
                              That is a choice of the Ivy League, of course
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                              X