Doug Woog vs. Dave Hakstol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doug Woog vs. Dave Hakstol

For many years North Dakota fans have gone out of their way to say bad things about Doug Woog every time his name comes up in conversation, basing pretty much their entire argument on the fact that he never coached a team to a national championship victory. Funny thing about that, the same can be said of Dave Hakstol.

Now, in my opinion those two coaches both had very successful careers at the college level. While neither one of them won a national championship, their teams were contenders pretty much year in and year out. Every year there are a handful of very good teams but only one of them can win a national championship. There is something to be said for consistently being among the top five to ten in the nation. Just thought I'd throw this out there for discussion...

How are they similar? How are they different? How do their achievements compare to one another? Who was the better coach? I think the best way to get fair and unbiased opinions is to exclude North Dakota fans as well as Gopher fans from the discussion. I'm looking for completely objective opinions.
    National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
    National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Re: Doug Woog vs. Dave Hakstol

Western School fight!!! grabs popcorn
    BS UMass Lowell 2015
    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

They both failed to win it all at the college level, but One became a head coach in the NHL and the other is cuddling with Frank Mazzacco on a beach in France.
      Last edited by darker98; 08-23-2016, 10:43 PM. Reason: Willy pointed it out.
      "My greatest achievement."
      Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Similarities? Both successful college coaches who never won the national title
        Differences? After college hockey one became a joke of a broadcaster and the other became the head coach of a NHL team.

Comment

Wooger has a personality.

Hakstol is the least personable human to ever coach hockey at any level.

Comment

One has more hockey knowledge (and anecdotes). The other is still in coaching.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post

Ask any of Hak's former players if he's one of the least personable humans in hockey... ask people who have got to meet Hak at fundraisers... ask my friend's kid who loved seeing Hakstol every year at the UND fan experience. They would all tell you that you have no clue what you are talking about. Of course, those of us on this forum already knew that. Doug Woog was a bumbling buffoon on-air and should have taken his "personality" elsewhere.

Comment

The question was who's the better coach. I'd rather date Woog for that personality.
                "My greatest achievement."
                Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                  Ask any of Hak's former players if he's one of the least personable humans in hockey... ask people who have got to meet Hak at fundraisers... ask my friend's kid who loved seeing Hakstol every year at the UND fan experience. They would all tell you that you have no clue what you are talking about. Of course, those of us on this forum already knew that. Doug Woog was a bumbling buffoon on-air and should have taken his "personality" elsewhere.
                  Don't let ignorant bias kick your arse on the way out the door.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                    The question was who's the better coach. I'd rather date Woog for that personality.
                    No it wasn't dummy.

How are they similar? How are they different? How do their achievements compare to one another? Who was the better coach?
                    That was one of 4 effing questions, moron.

Comment

No it wasn't dummy.

That was one of 4 effing questions, moron.
                      Technically, darker is correct. It was the question. One of four, but it was one of THE questions asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Technically, darker is correct. It was the question. One of four, but it was one of THE questions asked.
                        And so was "how are they different". So there's that.

Additionally, the original poster requested that no gopher or nodak fans participate.

think the best way to get fair and unbiased opinions is to exclude North Dakota fans as well as Gopher fans from the discussion.

Comment

Let one Fawker fan post as long as it's willy - imagining him scrunching his brain coming up with his next Gophers gotcha is priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Let one Fawker fan post as long as it's willy - imagining him scrunching his brain coming up with his next Gophers gotcha is priceless.
                            You spelled goofers wrong.

Comment

Obviously you have never met Idalski of the women's team.
                              Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X