Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Originally posted by Norwich59 View Post
    Todd Jackson got the game winner against USM Friday night!
    I'm more concerned with how the freshmen play in close game situations than in blowout games. I'm inclined to think that if a player is capable of scoring in a tight game, when it matters, that's what really counts. In blowouts, it seems pretty common for the freshmen to pass the puck off to established goal scorers (Nick Pichette).

On that note, Pichette is on a hot streak for sure. Good to see a big night from Flaherty and Salvucci. Hopefully the streak continues this weekend against NEC and St. A's. According to the Norwich instagram, sophomore Cam Beecy got his first collegiate goal this past weekend as well. Good to see the (small) sophomore class making some waves.

Comment

Originally posted by Norwich802 View Post
      I'm more concerned with how the freshmen play in close game situations than in blowout games. I'm inclined to think that if a player is capable of scoring in a tight game, when it matters, that's what really counts. In blowouts, it seems pretty common for the freshmen to pass the puck off to established goal scorers (Nick Pichette).

On that note, Pichette is on a hot streak for sure. Good to see a big night from Flaherty and Salvucci. Hopefully the streak continues this weekend against NEC and St. A's. According to the Norwich instagram, sophomore Cam Beecy got his first collegiate goal this past weekend as well. Good to see the (small) sophomore class making some waves.
      Since no one seemed to get my point, let's just pretend I didn't post it. Deal?

Looking forward to this weekend. Go Cadets!

Comment

Prez is ths going to be Norwich's last game at St. A's Friday night? In past years the games at Sullivan Arena have always been very exciting. With the league going to 7 teams next year any chance another team will be added?
        2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
        2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
          Prez is ths going to be Norwich's last game at St. A's Friday night? In past years the games at Sullivan Arena have always been very exciting. With the league going to 7 teams next year any chance another team will be added?
          Tomorrow's game and the home game later this year are the only schedule games vs. Saint Anselm currently. I'm sure if Saint Anselm's situation were to change some day Norwich would certainly jump at the opportunity to get the Hawks back on the schedule as it has always been a good game with a strong NU turnout down in Manchester too.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Very impressive performance last night at St. A's ... I think that is what they would call the perfect road game ... seemed like the Cadets had the puck most of the third period ... the home team seemed to be out of gas ... tough assignment today at NEC ... they took 53 shots and scored seven times last night aginst St. Mike's.
            A question for anyone who was at the game last night. What did you think of the St. A's student section. I know I am going to sound like the old goat yelling "Get off my lawn!" but I thought the way they were shaking the glass was way over the line. I love the enthusiasm ... wish we had more of that a Kreitzberg ... but I thought that group was over the line. How think you?

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
              Very impressive performance last night at St. A's ... I think that is what they would call the perfect road game ... seemed like the Cadets had the puck most of the third period ... the home team seemed to be out of gas ... tough assignment today at NEC ... they took 53 shots and scored seven times last night aginst St. Mike's.
              A question for anyone who was at the game last night. What did you think of the St. A's student section. I know I am going to sound like the old goat yelling "Get off my lawn!" but I thought the way they were shaking the glass was way over the line. I love the enthusiasm ... wish we had more of that a Kreitzberg ... but I thought that group was over the line. How think you?
              I disagree, I think that we're used to smaller crowds. Recently went to a Div I football game, and what I saw at St. A's was nothing in comparison. I think it's healthy to let the students blow off some steam after a long week of classes by supporting their team. I did notice that they left with around 10 minutes left in the third, though.

Brandrup's step and shot last night was absolutely a thing of beauty. Let's hope they can pull off another W today.

Comment

Originally posted by Norwich802 View Post
                I disagree, I think that we're used to smaller crowds. Recently went to a Div I football game, and what I saw at St. A's was nothing in comparison. I think it's healthy to let the students blow off some steam after a long week of classes by supporting their team. I did notice that they left with around 10 minutes left in the third, though.

Brandrup's step and shot last night was absolutely a thing of beauty. Let's hope they can pull off another W today.
                It wasn't the size of the crowd ... we get more people ... and I loved the noise and excitement ... but to me the glass shaking is over the line ... not to mention dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                  It wasn't the size of the crowd ... we get more people ... and I loved the noise and excitement ... but to me the glass shaking is over the line ... not to mention dangerous.
                  Agree. No problem with anything other than the glass shaking. That's garbage.

Fan "enthusiasm" is very much, um, regulated at all Norwich home events - in Kreitzberg or otherwise. It's a bit of a shame, IMO. Aside from foul language, I'm on board with just about anything.

Comment

If you want student excitement at a Norwich game then you need to go to a club game. Then again, you want to talk about going over the line, I've seen everything from cadets (small c) hanging over the glass and taking swings at opposing players as they came down the ice to rooks getting in a tussle (wouldn't go as far as to call it a fight) with opposing parents who were tired of the heckling, along with some very politically incorrect chants that challenged the goalie's sexuality.

Closest thing I ever saw to that at a varsity game was the 2012 exhibition game against some Canadian team. The Corps did a march down for the game and it was just students in the arena. Things got heated on and off the ice and after the Cadets won in overtime I had a front row seat behind the visiting bench when a couple opposing players started talking back to some cadets (again, small c) who were mercilessly heckling them on the bench the entire game. One thing led to another, a cadet got slapped in the face with a stick, which prompted him to try to come over the glass and take a few swings as his cadet brethren supported him by launching a volley of trash towards the bench.

Man, great times.
                    Last edited by NU Pastime; 11-13-2016, 08:55 PM.
                    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                      If you want student excitement at a Norwich game then you need to go to a club game. Then again, you want to talk about going over the line, I've seen everything from cadets (small c) hanging over the glass and taking swings at opposing players as they came down the ice to rooks getting in a tussle (wouldn't go as far as to call it a fight) with opposing parents who were tired of the heckling, along with some very politically incorrect chants that challenged the goalie's sexuality.

Closest thing I ever saw to that at a varsity game was the 2012 exhibition game against some Canadian team. The Corps did a march down for the game and it was just students in the arena. Things got heated on and off the ice and after the Cadets won in overtime I had a front row seat behind the visiting bench when a couple opposing players started talking back to some cadets (again, small c) who were mercilessly heckling them on the bench the entire game. One thing led to another, a cadet got slapped in the face with a stick, which prompted him to try to come over the glass and take a few swings as his cadet brethren supported him by launching a volley of trash towards the bench.

Man, great times.
                      It's about the kids. Love stories like this from the college atmospheres.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

• Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

I want to give Kudos to Norwich for giving back to the community - even when the community is in another state ...

http://www.pressrepublican.com/news/...dbecc55c0.html
                        Larry Normandin
                        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                          It's about the kids. Love stories like this from the college atmospheres.
                          When college hockey was fun....

Romney
                          Stafford
                          The Duke
                          Maxy
                          3000+ at the Domes....

When you could get on a player/team in their rink and still buy them a beer after the game. Now you get yelled at for trying to start the wave at your home rink...

The Ira can get pretty wild, and the atmosphere at the Cooler for the Conference Championship was wild last year....but more times than not the PC police will find you if you raise your voice these days.....

It's the kinder, gentler America where everyone gets a trophy. ...
                          Remy Babineaux
                          remyb616@gmail.com
                          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post

The Ira can get pretty wild, and the atmosphere at the Cooler for the Conference Championship was wild last year....but more times than not the PC police will find you if you raise your voice these days.....

It's the kinder, gentler America where everyone gets a trophy. ...
                            That's absolutely true. It's not just hockey. With the Sap Bucket being played for this past weekend there's another story worth mentioning. In the lead-up to the 2012 Sap Bucket Game my friends and I heard countless stories of the great Norwich football rivalries of the past against Middlebury and Coast Guard. Most of these stories revolved around the pranks leading up to the game: Middlebury painting Sabine Sally pink, cadets stealing Coast Guard's bear mascot, cadets trying to paint Coast Guard's schooner maroon & gold but nearly getting shot by the security forces from the nuclear submarine base across the river, Rooks keeping watch over campus the week of the Coast Guard Game, etc. I remember vividly the week of the Castleton game President Schneider himself telling a group of us these stories, going on for at least a half hour, at a student government event that generously provided an open bar.

After that, my friends and I were determined to do something to add a little juice to the budding Norwich-Castleton rivalry, but as we brainstormed ideas and tried to draw inspiration from those past stories, we kept coming back to the same realization: Any of those pranks from the past pulled today would lead to us being expelled, having our ROTC scholarships pulled, or both. And because of this, Norwich-Castleton has become a fierce rivalry across sports between the teams that play, but it hasn't yet sparked the student bodies to a level of passion. Hell, I bet half the students at Norwich don't even know Castleton exists.

Same thing with Middlebury. For me, as a student of Norwich history and a friend of Charlie Crosby, I was well aware of the history of the Middlebury-Norwich rivalry. So it was a thrill for me to travel to Middlebury as a senior with the baseball team and be a part of a chapter in that rivalry (until we lost). But that's the only time we ever played Middlebury. Hockey is the only sport where Middlebury and Norwich play each other regularly, and half the time the students aren't even on campus. How many of them are aware of the significance of the game?

I digress, but it's sad.
                            Norwich '13

Comment

With Midd out of the national picture, the Midd-Norwich game isn't what it used to be. Also, the two schools do play regularly in men's soccer, baseball and cross country, but that's about it. Too bad!
                              Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

Originally posted by neumyer View Post
                                With Midd out of the national picture, the Midd-Norwich game isn't what it used to be. Also, the two schools do play regularly in men's soccer, baseball and cross country, but that's about it. Too bad!
                                I do think soccer is pretty regular, but baseball isn't. Cross Country doesn't really count IMO as it's not a head-to-head sport.
                                Norwich '13

Comment

Working...
                                X