Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
    Comfort Inn in Berlin is the best place to stay. 15-20 minutes from campus. For a pregame meal, I'd recommend Cornerstone Burger Company (not just burgers), it's very good and about a mile from the rink. The kids will be on break still that weekend. Prez will have to answer about tix.
    It appears that quite a few quality food places have popped up in Northfield since I graduated four years ago. And if the quality of food is your number 1 priority, then perhaps these recommendations are best. If, however, your desire is to travel into enemy territory and truly experience Norwich (as best as you can with no students on campus) then I must insist on The Rustic (whose quality of food isn't bad, I must add).
    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by OZrebel View Post
      In preparing to possibly come out there for a game next weekend, anyone have any recommendations on a place to eat beforehand, and tips or tricks we should know about the area? Doesnt look like much for lodging around. Student will they be on break? any alternative forms for getting tickets? For Oswego we sell them online for out of area fans.
      If Norwich and Oswego were to win, Oswego will be given an allotment of tickets that they will be able to choose how to allocate per the NCAA rules. I think the number is 200, but don't quote me on that.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Our official highlight video from Saturday's NEHC Championship game is now live! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWjQ...ature=youtu.be
        Last edited by Cadet Color Man; 03-08-2017, 01:29 PM.
        WDEV/NSN Color Analyst 2011-2014
        NSN NU Women's Hockey PBP 2014
        Follow Me On The Twitter: @Tannerace

2000, 2003, 2010, 2011 (W) National Champions

Comment

Can someone explain why Norwich didn't get a bye when they were/are #1 in polls and #1 in KRACH?

Is is because they are a host?
          Tom T.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tmtroiano View Post
            Can someone explain why Norwich didn't get a bye when they were/are #1 in polls and #1 in KRACH?

Skim through the 500 posts on the matter this week; you'll get the gist of it

Comment

The D3Hockey site says it is because of travel restrictions, unfair they said but that is why.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmtroiano View Post

As I've said before, it is so Norwich and Oswego can play this year after having been thwarted in their previous attempt.
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tmtroiano View Post

Basically there were two possible brackets due to the NCAA travel restrictions - If a trip is more than 500 miles, the teams must fly, and the number of flights must be kept to a minimum.

In the one that would have given Norwich a bye, the top two teams in the West would be bracketed for a quarterfinal game.
                  In the that was chosen, all 8 eastern teams were in the same bracket, so that meant that Norwich had to play in the first round.

It is what it is - we may not like it, but the good news is that the opponent is the lowest seed in the tournament (Salem State). Never assume anything - don't ever forget Norwich once lost to a really bad UMB team in the first round of the ECAC East tournament when their goalie stood on his head, so there are no gimme games. I thought it was a gimme game and didn't even go. I'm not going to be able to catch Saturday's game because of other commitments, so I hope I get to see NU play in a quarterfinal game the following week.
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Well that makes sense. If Norwich wins all on this subject here, will remain quiet, if not, all you know what will break loose. I prefer to see them keep playing. We thought they looked a bit rusty (mostly 2nd period) against CSC , after there 2 weeks off. Maybe more yoga? But all that being said, it is a tough pill to swallow when NU comes into the tournament with the best record and nothing to show for it ,besides getting to play the lower ranked team. I wish they would stop ranking them that hi, if when the brackets come out, it just doesn't matter. Maybe they should have been ranked lower "due to travel restrictions" all season. I do not like the number one ranking. IT seems to put a big old target right in the middle of the jersey. Well the biggest advantage that I see for NU going into the tournament is there never quit attitude.Time for another GOLD BANNER!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Well that makes sense. If Norwich wins all on this subject here, will remain quiet, if not, all you know what will break loose. I prefer to see them keep playing. We thought they looked a bit rusty (mostly 2nd period) against CSC , after there 2 weeks off. Maybe more yoga? But all that being said, it is a tough pill to swallow when NU comes into the tournament with the best record and nothing to show for it ,besides getting to play the lower ranked team. I wish they would stop ranking them that hi, if when the brackets come out, it just doesn't matter. Maybe they should have been ranked lower "due to travel restrictions" all season. I do not like the number one ranking. IT seems to put a big old target right in the middle of the jersey. Well the biggest advantage that I see for NU going into the tournament is there never quit attitude.Time for another GOLD BANNER!!
                      Well if they were ranked lower then they would be playing a Plattsburgh or Endicott in the first round and you'd really have a reason to complain.

It's all about mindset. Some people prefer playing with the chip on the shoulder that comes with being an underdog while others embrace the target that comes with being the favorite. Speaking as someone who played on a powerhouse high school baseball team and a struggling college team, I hated stepping off the bus at a place and knowing that the other team didn't respect us. That perhaps led to me trying to do too much at times trying to earn that respect. I much preferred stepping off the bus as a favorite and having the calm confidence that came with being a winner.

Our coach in high school had different ways of dealing with each scenario. When we played a team that we should beat the emphasis was on doing a clean infield during pregame warm-ups. He firmly believed that if we took the field and they watched us perform a crisp, flawless infield that they would be intimidated and beaten before the first pitch. Conversely, when we played a march larger school that didn't respect us, he didn't want them to do the same to us, so while they took infield we wouldn't watch. Also sent the message that we didn't care how good they were. And then when we took infield we would sometimes do it without a ball, a "phantom infield" to "make them think we're bat**** crazy". Most of the time it worked.

Not sure how that translates to hockey. But it's a good story. Have faith in Coach McShane. He'll have the boys ready.
                      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Well said and a good story. Plattsburgh has been playing outstanding down the stretch. Old Mr. Emery must have lit a fire under them. The odds are starting to increase that we play them, as it looks now. Lets hope for the same size crowd this Sat. That was amazing. I heard a touch over 2300 were there. It is plenty worth the admission price to here the place roar for the home team after a well needed goal or two or three or more. Always room for another goal just to hear the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          Well said and a good story. Plattsburgh has been playing outstanding down the stretch. Old Mr. Emery must have lit a fire under them. The odds are starting to increase that we play them, as it looks now. Lets hope for the same size crowd this Sat. That was amazing. I heard a touch over 2300 were there. It is plenty worth the admission price to here the place roar for the home team after a well needed goal or two or three or more. Always room for another goal just to hear the crowd.
                          Official attendance was just under 2200, but the place was absolutely jammed. Maybe the biggest crowd I've seen during my seven years...only crowd that came close was the Middlebury first whiteout game I believe.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Official attendance was just under 2200, but the place was absolutely jammed. Maybe the biggest crowd I've seen during my seven years...only crowd that came close was the Middlebury first whiteout game I believe.
                            Gonna be tough to match the last two weekends this weekend (and next if we get that far) ... students will be away on break for both ... they really came through (600 hundred strong) the past couple of weekends. Up to all Central Vermont fans and all of you SEASON TICKET HOLDERS to get there ... or if you can't make sure to get your tix to someone who can, AND WILL!

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                              Gonna be tough to match the last two weekends this weekend (and next if we get that far) ... students will be away on break for both ... they really came through (600 hundred strong) the past couple of weekends. Up to all Central Vermont fans and all of you SEASON TICKET HOLDERS to get there ... or if you can't make sure to get your tix to someone who can, AND WILL!
                              Well, we certainly didn't wait five years to get season passes to stay HOME
                              The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

• Originally posted by peddler View Post
                                Well, we certainly didn't wait five years to get season passes to stay HOME
                                Well then bring friends and neighbors with you!

Comment

Working...
                                X