Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    Except for giving up the SHG, I gthought the Cadets played pretty well. Definitely had the bulk of the 3rd period opportunities. For me the feed was okay, except for the freeze-frame thing that was going on. No way to synch with George - it was interesting that the Babson audio kept going through the screen freezes. Not a bad game given the fact that for most purposes (except for seeding and possible Pool C implications) it was a meaningless game for the Cadets and a big letdown after last weekend's two big wins.
    Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
    Well with this team anything less than a win is disappointing, especially when letting up a shorthanded goal, but that was a good game. Babson's defense definitely lived up to the hype. I felt like the Cadets controlled the game but the Beavers had the better chances. A lot of shots from the perimeter for Norwich, including Smith's (most deserving) game-tying blast.
    Honestly tying Babson might have weirdly been the best result for Norwich's NCAA resume. Babson has a shot at being an NCAA ranked team with that tie. A loss would really have hurt their chances but a tie is good for both teams I think. Norwich has a decent shot at being 2-0-2 vs. ranked teams if Endicott, Williams and Babson are ranked.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      Honestly tying Babson might have weirdly been the best result for Norwich's NCAA resume. Babson has a shot at being an NCAA ranked team with that tie. A loss would really have hurt their chances but a tie is good for both teams I think. Norwich has a decent shot at being 2-0-2 vs. ranked teams if Endicott, Williams and Babson are ranked.
      Root for Plattsburgh too ... especially tonite against Oswego ... Cardinals are coming on strong and could be a ranked team too when all is said and done.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
        Root for Plattsburgh too ... especially tonite against Oswego ... Cardinals are coming on strong and could be a ranked team too when all is said and done.
        I don't think you can get Prez to do that. His support for NU is more at the mercenary level.

Me, on the other hand with no connection to Os at all and a grudging admiration for Slickhair, will embrace that 100%.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          I don't think you can get Prez to do that. His support for NU is more at the mercenary level.

Me, on the other hand with no connection to Os at all and a grudging admiration for Slickhair, will embrace that 100%.
          2-1 Plattsburgh ... Endicott also won again but Williams lost to Wesleyan.

Comment

• One of the stronger efforts of the season at UMB ... great to come out of there with a win ... strong 3 point weekend over all!

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              This is an interesting point. Right now Babson, Williams, and Concordia are all getting a handful of points in the polls. Endicott is already ranked. And we should expect Plattsburgh to make a big jump after last night's win and on their current streak. Norwich is a combined 4-0-2 against those teams. I seriously doubt all will end up ranked, but Babson and Plattsburgh are definitely trending that way, and who knows what's going to happen in the NESCAC.
              Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

This is an interesting point. Right now Babson, Williams, and Concordia are all getting a handful of points in the polls. Endicott is already ranked. And we should expect Plattsburgh to make a big jump after last night's win and on their current streak. Norwich is a combined 4-0-2 against those teams. I seriously doubt all will end up ranked, but Babson and Plattsburgh are definitely trending that way, and who knows what's going to happen in the NESCAC.
                Remember the current polls mean nothing...actually right now no one is ranked. The first "secret" rankings that count (NCAA) are this Tuesday (I Think). The first publicized rankings come out on the 14th. We will not have any idea until then.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                  Remember the current polls mean nothing...actually right now no one is ranked. The first "secret" rankings that count (NCAA) are this Tuesday (I Think). The first publicized rankings come out on the 14th. We will not have any idea until then.
                  True. But I think the current polls do give an idea. Of course the real poll won't match perfectly, but it won't be drastically different either.
                  Norwich '13

Comment

True. But I think the current polls do give an idea. Of course the real poll won't match perfectly, but it won't be drastically different either.
                    If I remember correctly also, the once ranked always ranked went away.....this would mean the only ranking that matters is the last one !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                      If I remember correctly also, the once ranked always ranked went away.....this would mean the only ranking that matters is the last one !
                      Correct. Given their record, I would imagine Plattsburgh needs to sustain this unbeaten streak all the way through the SUNYAC semifinals at least in order to be ranked, but that's just a guess at this point.
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

The Blue Line Club posted a great video yesterday. Keeping us entertained.

https://www.facebook.com/NorwichBLUE...7/?pnref=story
                        Norwich '13

Comment

Pretty routine game. I was impressed with the St. Mike's goalie who seemed to make a lot of good saves. Don't know who was counting shots, but there is no way the St. Mike's outshot NU in that game. If anything, the scorers down graded the STM goalie's performance by slanting the SOG count in favor to STM.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                            Pretty routine game. I was impressed with the St. Mike's goalie who seemed to make a lot of good saves. Don't know who was counting shots, but there is no way the St. Mike's outshot NU in that game. If anything, the scorers down graded the STM goalie's performance by slanting the SOG count in favor to STM.
                            We were there, and without any SOG being posted on their scoreboard it was hard to keep track, but I sincerely doubt that the Ice Knights outshot the Cadets.
                            The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

The Blue Line Club posted a great video yesterday. Keeping us entertained.

https://www.facebook.com/NorwichBLUE...7/?pnref=story
                              Great video....to compliment another strong win today over St. Michaels as the Cadets cap a great regular season... with more to come.

Ever since moving to New England, in ‘94 and becoming re-engaged with NU hockey I've been lucky to see some great NU teams and equally great players like Bellemare, Accoin, McLean, Cotnoir and many more.

But this year’s Norwich team just seems extra special. Maybe it's because they (as a group) to have risen so eagerly to the challenge following last year’s club which had struggled. Even many of the early season NU fan comments on USCHOL’s Fan Forum confirmed that some fans had a wait and see attitude. And why not? After all who wouldn’t be nervous after seeing such a sure victory slip away so easily in the waning moments of that first Skidmore game?

Since then, Norwich has proved itself again and again with only a few bumps along the way. And while the club has it standouts like Will, Tyler, Cody and others --this team’s real strength seems more about a team rather than individual performances. Their speed, passing, offense, defense, goal tending, power plays and just plain teamwork have all come together. Actually my only remaining concern was how tough NU might be against more physical clubs. Those doubts vanished last weekend when I saw another one of those “almost” too chippy games that always occur when UMass and Norwich meet. But instead seeing Will Pelltier stalked and hunted down...three Beacons took clean hits leaving all three limping off the ice. But more importantly not one penalty was assessed against NU. These Cadets have all the toughness they need but..... they still have "more season" ahead of them.

Statically the weakest team in our conference is the University of Southern Maine. Those guys darn near played NU to a standstill only a month ago...just as they have other NEHC teams…including Skidmore today. USM just does not toss in the towel. And actually throughout the rest of the NHC pack, its pretty clear that parity is the rule and not the exception. Going forward none of the conference games will be a cake walk--and this club knows it.

And as an aside.... that seems to be happening throughout DIII Hockey. In an item published on USCHOL, Wisconsin Eau Claire coach Matt Loen was asked about the thing that has surprised him most about this college hockey season and he said it was the parity within the DIII Hockey. He pointed out that a total of 32 teams have won 12 or more games. Only one, No. 1 Norwich, has 20 wins. There were 35 teams with 12 or more wins last season, including 10 with at least 20 wins. He added, “There are no easy games. Anyone can win on a given night. It’s something that could impact how teams are selected for the tournament.”

So thanks NU Hockey for giving us such a great season and just keep grinding away…one game at a time…and who knows where it will take you. Good luck
                              Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 02-11-2017, 07:18 PM.
                              Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                              Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                                That is correct, first rankings were last Tuesday. First publicized rankings are this Tuesday 2/14. Also on 2/21, 2/28, and 3/5 (Selection Sunday). This year the 3/5 rankings will be public.
                                The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Working...
                                X