Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

First time since Feb. 9, 2015 that Norwich men's hockey has been the No. 1 team in the country in the d3hockey.com national ranking!

http://d3hockey.com/rankings/men/2016-17/jan-30

And make it unanimous #1 team in the country, sweeping all 20 first-place votes in USCHO poll too. First time #1 in USCHO since March 9, 2015.

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-iii-mens-poll/
    Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 01-30-2017, 01:13 PM.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      First time since Feb. 9, 2015 that Norwich men's hockey has been the No. 1 team in the country in the d3hockey.com national ranking!

And make it unanimous #1 team in the country, sweeping all 20 first-place votes in USCHO poll too. First time #1 in USCHO since March 9, 2015.

Rankings come out in 2 weeks??
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

But I thought you said....😉
        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

Both, in my opinion, justified by our record and the records of the other contenders.

We are the NEHC Regular Season Champs, we will have home ice for the NEHC playoffs, and will likely be the NEHC auto-bid to the NCAA tournament if we can play 3 periods each game.

Whether we are DIII final four material is still an open question. Too little experience against other ranked teams is cause to wonder whether this team deserves a berth in Utica.

This is not a slam on the hard work and success of the Cadets, but simply a matter of fact. Of the current USCHO top 10 teams, only Norwich (2-0)and Hamilton (1-0-1) have as few as 2 games against ranked (at the time they played them) opponents. More experienced examples include St Norbert (6-0), Point (3-2-1), Oswego (3-1-1), Hobart (3-1-1), and Adrian (1-3-1).

I didn't try to calculate record or experience against "currently ranked" teams. I'll leave that to someone with more free time than myself.
          The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Rankings come out in 2 weeks??
            Tuesday, Feb. 7 Mock regional rankings (non-publicized).
            Tuesday, Feb. 14 First regional rankings (publicized).
            Tuesday, Feb. 21 Second regional rankings (publicized).
            Tuesday, Feb. 28 Third regional rankings (publicized).
            Sunday, March 5 Championship selection.
            Monday, March 6 Fourth regional rankings (publicized) and Online Selection Show on www.NCAA.com (time TBD).
            The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Thanks George for your great info. It was really really nice to have Lee calling the game with you. He does such an amazing job back at the studio after the games. I hope this doesn't imply something with you having him with you on our last home game for the season. You do an amazing job and all us fans are very great full for all your work. I hope this is not your last season. I agree with you that the Cadets have not had an easy go of getting to the top. They have had many close games that could have gone either way. That was a lot of goals that Skidmore put in. Norwich , though true to there form , never quits and comes at you very hard when needed. It was good to see that Tyler was not hurt after that hit he took in the middle ice. Also nice to see the parents come in from all over the place to honor there kids. It was a great hockey weekend in Northfield.

Comment

Originally posted by peddler View Post
                Both, in my opinion, justified by our record and the records of the other contenders.

We are the NEHC Regular Season Champs, we will have home ice for the NEHC playoffs, and will likely be the NEHC auto-bid to the NCAA tournament if we can play 3 periods each game.

Whether we are DIII final four material is still an open question. Too little experience against other ranked teams is cause to wonder whether this team deserves a berth in Utica.

This is not a slam on the hard work and success of the Cadets, but simply a matter of fact. Of the current USCHO top 10 teams, only Norwich (2-0)and Hamilton (1-0-1) have as few as 2 games against ranked (at the time they played them) opponents. More experienced examples include St Norbert (6-0), Point (3-2-1), Oswego (3-1-1), Hobart (3-1-1), and Adrian (1-3-1).

I didn't try to calculate record or experience against "currently ranked" teams. I'll leave that to someone with more free time than myself.
                I've been saying for a while we haven't been playing as many top 15 ranked teams as we're used to...Norwich's SOS numbers are not great right now and should a couple of losses happen between now and selection time, it will be anything but a sure thing that Norwich gets an at-large bid.
                GO LAKERS!!!
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

I've been saying for a while we haven't been playing as many top 15 ranked teams as we're used to...Norwich's SOS numbers are not great right now and should a couple of losses happen between now and selection time, it will be anything but a sure thing that Norwich gets an at-large bid.
                  2 games vs. DWC count? Ouch!
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    2 games vs. DWC count? Ouch!
                    And four more than count not at all(well at least not until late in the process)
                    Go 'Wick!

Comment

How do ties factor into the equation? I initially took the season opening tie v. Endicott to be a bad showing, but that tie doesn't look too bad at all anymore. And then on the other side of the spectrum, the tie against Middlebury is definitely disappointing this year, given the relative state of the two programs.

Should we be cheering for Plattsburgh and Williams the rest of the way?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
                      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        Thanks George for your great info. It was really really nice to have Lee calling the game with you. He does such an amazing job back at the studio after the games. I hope this doesn't imply something with you having him with you on our last home game for the season. You do an amazing job and all us fans are very great full for all your work. I hope this is not your last season.
                        I certainly hope not too, Roy. Lee joined me because Cory and Tanner were both not available. He did a great job and I I hope to use him more in the future.My health situation is always somethng to be aware of but as of now I fully intend to be back in the fall.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                          I certainly hope not too, Roy. Lee joined me because Cory and Tanner were both not available. He did a great job and I I hope to use him more in the future.My health situation is always somethng to be aware of but as of now I fully intend to be back in the fall.
                          Great news George!
                          There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                            How do ties factor into the equation? I initially took the season opening tie v. Endicott to be a bad showing, but that tie doesn't look too bad at all anymore. And then on the other side of the spectrum, the tie against Middlebury is definitely disappointing this year, given the relative state of the two programs.

Should we be cheering for Plattsburgh and Williams the rest of the way?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
                            Any non-league opponent that Norwich has played this season, you want them to win games the rest of the way. That helps the SOS. All games against league opponents are a wash because everyone plays everyone and the net end is .500 no matter what. So Norwich fans should be rooting for Endicott, Williams, Plattsburgh, Middlebury, Nazareth, Concordia (Minn.) to win.
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Well with this team anything less than a win is disappointing, especially when letting up a shorthanded goal, but that was a good game. Babson's defense definitely lived up to the hype. I felt like the Cadets controlled the game but the Beavers had the better chances. A lot of shots from the perimeter for Norwich, including Smith's (most deserving) game-tying blast.
                              Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                                Well with this team anything less than a win is disappointing, especially when letting up a shorthanded goal, but that was a good game. Babson's defense definitely lived up to the hype. I felt like the Cadets controlled the game but the Beavers had the better chances. A lot of shots from the perimeter for Norwich, including Smith's (most deserving) game-tying blast.
                                Except for giving up the SHG, I gthought the Cadets played pretty well. Definitely had the bulk of the 3rd period opportunities. For me the feed was okay, except for the freeze-frame thing that was going on. No way to synch with George - it was interesting that the Babson audio kept going through the screen freezes. Not a bad game given the fact that for most purposes (except for seeding and possible Pool C implications) it was a meaningless game for the Cadets and a big letdown after last weekend's two big wins.
                                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X