Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    Certainly a weird situation for the students and the athletes. It is kind of surprising that DW wasn't shuttered with the rest. Perhaps ITT thought they could get something out of DW as compared to their other properties.

As far as a school having campuses that compete in different national organizations, you only have to look at Johnson and Wales. They have 4 campuses. One is NCAA DIII, two are NAIA, and the third is USCAA.
    Don't forget that if DWC closes, every NEHC team has a 2 game hole in the schedule.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Don't forget that if DWC closes, every NEHC team has a 2 game hole in the schedule.
      This is quite true. I would guess, just based on my knowledge of the education scene, that the most probable acquisitor of DWC would be SNHU, because their operating model is closest to the operating model of the for-profit schools. Their online program is pretty much similar to the online programs of the for-profit schools. UNH probably is not as likely as SNHU - I have no inside knowledge, but rather this is based on my observations of the operating models of both schools. UNH is too traditional (In my opinion, which could be wrong) to acquire DWC.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

For those wondering what is happening at Daniel Webster College - Despite parent company's shutdown, Nashua's Daniel Webster College remains open, for now
        Larry Normandin
        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
          For those wondering what is happening at Daniel Webster College - Despite parent company's shutdown, Nashua's Daniel Webster College remains open, for now
          And a little more here - sounds OK for 2016-17.

Excerpt:

New Hampshire education officials say Daniel Webster College will be spared repercussions at this time while the school's parent, ITT Educational Services, reconciles concerns about its standards and accreditation.

“There is no consequence for Daniel Webster students now – they’re enrolled, classes have started, they will receive their federal financial aid,” said Edward MacKay, director of the New Hampshire Department of Education’s Division of Higher Education.

Following issues meeting accreditation standards, the U.S. Department of Education recently prohibited ITT Educational Services from enrolling new students who use federal financial aid, according to multiple news reports. However, MacKay said the accrediting entity for ITT/ESI is not the same agency that reviews Daniel Webster College.

“It’s important to make the distinction between ITT and Daniel Webster College,” MacKay said. ITT/ESI is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools, known as ACICS, and Daniel Webster is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, or NEASC, he said.

“ACICS threatened to revoke accreditation for 130 institutes ITT runs, which triggered threats by the government to withhold federal financial aid – but these do not apply to Daniel Webster College,” MacKay said.
          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

There are five for-profit schools that participate in NCAA sports:

Grand Canyon University (DI) GCU became for-profit when it sold stock to a for profit corporation as a means of raising money to avoid bankruptcy. They moved from DII to DI in 2012. They have recently attempted to revert to non-profit status, but have not jumped all the required hoops, and have indefinitely suspended this effort. Because of their for-profit status, the Pac-12 does not want their member schools to schedule them and has initiated an effort to ban for-profit schools from the NCAA, or at least not allow them to vote on NCAA issues. There us some belief that the movement on the part of the Pac-12 was initiated by ASU and the University of Arizona.

Post University (DII), Post became a for-profit school when its affiliation with Teikyo University in Japan ended. The school is owned by a corporation named Post Education, Inc.

Academy of Art University (DII) was founded as a school for advertising art.

Salem International University(DII) had been a religiously affiliated school that was taken over by Teikyo University, and became a for-profit school when Teikyo dissolved its relationship with Salem.

Daniel Webster College is a the only for-profit member of Division III. It was founded as an Aeronautical Institute in 1969. The school began to fail in the late 00s, and was bailed out by a purchase by ITT Educational Services. The flight program was phased out. With ITT Educational Services declaring bankruptcy, the future of DWC is in doubt.

The fate of DWC is interesting - It is clear that they have serious problems - there is certainly a bias in the NCAA against for-profit schools. Being bought out by SNHU or UNH would remove the for-profit stigma from DWC.

Given the attitude of the NCAA toward for-profit schools, it would not be surprising if the NCAA doesn't provide a lot of leniency toward the DWC program in any sport.

It is a real mess.
            Last edited by NUProf; 09-11-2016, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Grand Canyon University (DI) GCU became for-profit when it sold stock to a for profit corporation as a means of raising money to avoid bankruptcy. They moved from DII to DI in 2012. They have recently attempted to revert to non-profit status, but have not jumped all the required hoops, and have indefinitely suspended this effort. Because of their for-profit status, the Pac-12 does not want their member schools to schedule them and has initiated an effort to ban for-profit schools from the NCAA, or at least not allow them to vote on NCAA issues. There us some belief that the movement on the part of the Pac-12 was initiated by ASU and the University of Arizona.

Post University (DII), Post became a for-profit school when its affiliation with Teikyo University in Japan ended. The school is owned by a corporation named Post Education, Inc.

Salem International University(DII) had been a religiously affiliated school that was taken over by Teikyo University, and became a for-profit school when Teikyo dissolved its relationship with Salem.

Daniel Webster College is a the only for-profit member of Division III. It was founded as an Aeronautical Institute in 1969. The school began to fail in the late 00s, and was bailed out by a purchase by ITT Educational Services. The flight program was phased out. With ITT Educational Services declaring bankruptcy, the future of DWC is in doubt.

The fate of DWC is interesting - It is clear that they have serious problems - there is certainly a bias in the NCAA against for-profit schools. Being bought out by SNHU or UNH would remove the for-profit stigma from DWC.

Given the attitude of the NCAA toward for-profit schools, it would not be surprising if the NCAA doesn't provide a lot of leniency toward the DWC program in any sport.

It is a real mess.
              A very sad mess, even if the ITT students see their student loans forgiven, over 40,000 students have spent time, in many cases years pursuing degrees and have credits that will be difficult, if at all possible, to transfer to an accredited institution. You can not get those years back

Colleges reach out to help former ITT Tech students
              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

It is a real mess.

The latest I got out of the DW alum I know, is that an Alumni Group came up with the money to late and apparently their is some sort of deal with SNHU. But the rumor he is hearing is that SNHU only cares about absorbing the schools engineering and aviation programs which is just a fraction of the student body. The fate of athletics and the possibility of it operating as a SNHU- Nashua is still in doubt. The President of SNHU Paul Leblanc could build the DWC campus into an attractive destination and make the Athletic program very competitive with financial support. Again the question what kind of man is he as he saved SNHU once before will he save and rebrand and transform the DW campus into a d3 branch of SNHU. Only time will tell I guess.

Comment

Nice meeting ya Prez,but boy that was a tuff football game to watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                    Nice meeting ya Prez,but boy that was a tuff football game to watch.........
                    The soccer game was entertaining.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Former Cadet D.J. Fimiani has been named the new womens coach at Castleton.

Comment

The long-anticipated 2016 Norwich men's hockey recruiting class announcement:

http://www.norwichathletics.com/x/k3nwv
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

A big class ... a lot of talent ... looking forward to seeing them in action.

Comment

Looks like a talented bunch on paper, excited to see them on the ice! With only 17 returnees that leaves a good amount that won't be returning. In my impatience I did some digging, looks Like Justin Charb will not be back as he is now at the University of Ottawa. He is one we will be sure to miss but hope he does well up there and is certainly saving some cash I'm sure.

I was mainly looking at jersey numbers the Freshman were taking and seeing who held them last year (I know that neglects the possibility of players changing numbers) but another surprise to me was Austin Evans. I was impressed with him last year and for some reason the kid reminded me of a Travis Janke type. Always sad to see players leave early but sometimes that's how it goes. None the less looks to be an exciting year again with a lot of new faces.

Comment

Hey folks ... the ice is in ... the recruiting list is out. Where is the chatter?

Comment

It is really hard to know what to expect this year. An awful lot of turnover - the numbers look pretty good for some of the new kids, but (as always) the big question is attitude and commitment. I think from my long distance view that some of last years guys didn't have the commitment to really push on. The other thing that I've noticed over the years is that the Cadets seem to do best when they have a "go to guy" - the kind of player who can take the team on his back and pull things together when things are not going well just by the force of his personality as well as his ability. Seems like the last couple of years we have had players with that ability level, but nobody with that combination of leadership and ability. I could just be wrong about this, too, because when I was working and having contact with the players as students, I could really see who had that kind of ability. Just seeing games on video and listening to the audio doesn't give me the same kind of insight.

As always, your mileage may vary

Comment

Working...
                                X