Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Very good weekend for the Cadets, two tough opponents taken care of with not so much ease but a lot of determination and skill. Penalties a problem somewhat, but I also think a few were called by the refs to just keep the numbers even and there were some really flagrant ones not even called. Passing game has really improved, the out let passes amaze me sometimes. Alec Brandrup has great moves in bringing the puck up ice, something I have been meaning to mention for a long time. Wonder if Alec ever played as a forward? We expect Will Pelletier to contribute to the scoring each and every night (1 goal and 3 assists tonight) but Anthony Flaherty was a close second with 1 goal and 2 assists. 7 different goal scorers, 3 from the defense, a total of 4 from seniors and 3 from underclassmen (Brandrup JR, Erickson SO transfer and Jackson FR). Nice that we can spread the scoring around and rely on those not scoring to create lots of pressure on the forecheck and in the corners. Norwich has a lot to be proud of but must keep level headed for the rest of the season. This may have been one tough game, but there are more ahead of them if they hope to make the NCAA's. It's great fun watching them.
    There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

I didn't like either the penalties or the PK, and guys have got to stop icing the puck against the extra attacker. Get it out, yes but don't just treat it like a power play. I was afraid they were going to get stuck with tired skaters after (I think it was) Evangelista took a shot at the empty net from inside his own blue line. You just can't do stuff like that. We lost an NCAA first round game a couple of years ago by icing two or three times and ultimately giving up the goal. Then we lost in OT in a game that should have been under control.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        I didn't like either the penalties or the PK, and guys have got to stop icing the puck against the extra attacker. Get it out, yes but don't just treat it like a power play. I was afraid they were going to get stuck with tired skaters after (I think it was) Evangelista took a shot at the empty net from inside his own blue line. You just can't do stuff like that. We lost an NCAA first round game a couple of years ago by icing two or three times and ultimately giving up the goal. Then we lost in OT in a game that should have been under control.
        It was Baldillez. George mentioned in the broadcast how McShane was not happy with it, so I'm sure this will be addressed. But it's a good point.
        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
          It was Baldillez. George mentioned in the broadcast how McShane was not happy with it, so I'm sure this will be addressed. But it's a good point.
          I know George mentioned it, but I didn't remember the name.

Comment

Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
            As I accidentally posted in the score thread, I don't like the bye. Norwich has been playing well. I hope the bye doesn't hurt their momentum
            Bye is not so bad. In my opinion it is better than playing an 8th place team with nothing to lose. They can sneak up on you (Such as the infamous UMB game a few years ago), or they can come in, get way behind and goon it up as we have seen a few times. A week off gives bruises time to heal and most likely you play a more competitive team, which is better for the SOS ranking and eventual positioning for the NCAA tournament, either for getting in if you don't win the title, or for seeding and a potential home game if you do win the title.

Comment

Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
              As I accidentally posted in the score thread, I don't like the bye. Norwich has been playing well. I hope the bye doesn't hurt their momentum
              The other thing about the bye is they lose another game for winning percentage...every loss by this team is really going to hurt in NCAA rankings.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                The other thing about the bye is they lose another game for winning percentage...every loss by this team is really going to hurt in NCAA rankings.
                Cuts both ways. If there were 8 teams having to play a DW type team with a 0.075 winning percentage would kill any advantage of the extra win.

Comment

Why are we talking about BYE already? Is that our next game? Eff that, win the next game, the rest will take care of itself.

r

Comment

• Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                    Why are we talking about BYE already? Is that our next game? Eff that, win the next game, the rest will take care of itself.

r
                    Because we clinched a bye...

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      Cuts both ways. If there were 8 teams having to play a DW type team with a 0.075 winning percentage would kill any advantage of the extra win.
                      There you go with that "math" thing again
                      The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                        I'm very happy that the team can now look forward to adding banners to the rafters. We get at least one and the possibility for a couple more before the season is done. It really helps with the acoustics in the arena.
                        Nothing helps the acoustics in Kreitzberg
                        The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

• Originally posted by peddler View Post
                          Nothing helps the acoustics in Kreitzberg
                          A cannon would help.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

From my blog on NSNsports.net ....

It has been a truly remarkable season for the Norwich University men’s hockey team. The Cadets wrapped up the New England Hockey Conference regular season championship on Saturday with a 7-5 win over Skidmore at a raucous Kreitzberg Arena. The victory was number 19 for the Cadets, and it allowed them to clinch the title before the end of January. It was doubly sweet after a season a year ago in which they failed to win the regular season title for the first time in 18 years.

A strong re-commitment from a large senior class has been key to the turn around, and the addition of a strong freshman class has helped as well. But while their 19-1-2 record and the early clinching may say otherwise, in reality the Cadets have not blown away their conference foes. There have been a lot of tight, down to the wire battles along the way, none more intense then the win yesterday over Skidmore, the only team to beat them this season. The Thoroughbreds led 2-0 early and 5-4 going to the final period before Norwich rallied to take the win.

Three games remain on the Cadets’ regular season schedule, two this coming weekend on the road at always tough Babson and UMass-Boston and another a week later at St. Michael’s. With the title already in the bag it will be interesting to see if they can maintain the intensity that has carried them to the heights they have attained this winter. Regardless, Norwich will be the top seed when the NEHC tournament gets going in a couple of weeks and as the top seed they will earn a bye in the first round.

The final weekend single game with St. Mike’s followed by the bye week will mean when they hit the Kreitzberg ice on Saturday night February 25th to host an as yet to be determined opponent in the NEHC semi-finals, the Cadets will have played just one game over the previous two weekends. Ah, yes, the age old question … “Rest, or rust?”

We will see, but for now no one in Northfield is complaining. The conference tournament is coming back to Kreitzberg … right where it belongs.

Comment

George, you just summed up all of my thoughts in that blog with NSN. The Cadets keep finding ways to win in tight games and have improved greatly over last season and even earlier this year. I can't imagine Coach McShane not working them hard during their bye break and their will be lot's of films to watch as they prepare for the semi finals. I hope there won't be any rust and that everyone stays healthy ( I hear there is a Noro Virus making the rounds of Central Vermont, not the "Flu" per say, but a nasty stomach bug that will lay you flat a few days). Keep washing your hands Cadets and stay away from sick people!

And George, thank you and NSN for the game coverage this season. While I would love to attend all the home games, it is a little impossible for me to fly from Florida every weekend! Watching the games on line and listening to you is the closest thing to being there in person. Despite the video glitch during the first period of the Skidmore game last night, you guys are by far the best broadcasters in Div. III currently. Really looking forward to the rest of the seasons games with you calling the action. Keep up the excellence!
                              There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Will the St. Mike's game be the last in the "rivalry"

Comment

Working...
                                X