Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

What's that saying? The most dangerous lead in hockey is the 6-goal lead?
    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

You would've thought at the start of the third that the overwhelming feeling would be one of relief?

It's nice having interchangeable goalies, as I feel that Reichenbach just had a calm confidence coming off the bench. Of course, that's viewed through a streaming video on a tablet. With that said, when the Cards made it 7-5 I thought the D did a better job of keeping the play to the outside.

But man. Outscored 7-1 in the third period in the past two games. Somehow that still translates to two W's. But that just is not good.
      Last edited by NU Pastime; 01-06-2017, 08:23 PM.
      Norwich '13

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
        You would've thought at the start of the third that the overwhelming feeling would be one of relief?

It's nice having interchangeable goalies, as I feel that Reichenbach just had a calm confidence coming off the bench. Of course, that's viewed through a streaming video on a tablet. With that said, when the Cards made it 7-5 I thought the D did a better job of keeping the play to the outside.

But man. Outscored 7-1 in the third period in the past two games. Somehow that still translates to two W's. But that just is not good.
        I'm hoping we don't get a big lead in any games come playoff time. I'm much more confident in this team when the score is "normal". They just cannot seem to maintain focus when they're up big. It's frustrating!

That said, wins are wins and at the end of the day I'll take any and all Ws.

Comment

Trying to get my head around this uncharacteristic and extremely dangerous trend of giving up multiple goals in the last period. Historically, the Cadets run opponents into the ground during the last 20 minutes. Is this a question of physical and mental stamina? I thought the Cardinals skated hard for 60 minutes; not sure I observed that with the Cadets, especially in the 3rd period - lots of coasting. In the end, of course, I nice win. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
            Trying to get my head around this uncharacteristic and extremely dangerous trend of giving up multiple goals in the last period. Historically, the Cadets run opponents into the ground during the last 20 minutes. Is this a question of physical and mental stamina? I thought the Cardinals skated hard for 60 minutes; not sure I observed that with the Cadets, especially in the 3rd period - lots of coasting. In the end, of course, I nice win. Thoughts?
            It seems to only happen when they have big leads. It's like they lose focus.

Comment

• Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
              It seems to only happen when they have big leads. It's like they lose focus.
              Yeah, I thought they had plenty of energy at the end of the period when it became 7-5. But before that the Cards were skating circles around them. Up 7-1 they probably were calling the dogs off and then had trouble pressing the pedal. When it became 7-3.
              Norwich '13

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                Surely then The Rustic must be in a different category, because if not then this is just blasphemy.
                Not listed. Neither is the Falls General Store (which I gather is good - it was closed for a long time when I left.
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

JUST A FINAL REMINDER FOR NU FANS

The Portland NU Alumni Club invites you to come cheer on the Cadets of Norwich University as they begin the second half of the 10016-17 NEHC Season when they take on the Huskies of the University of Southern Maine!

• Join the Maine NU Alum Club for a Pre-Game NU vs. USM Lunch.
                  Date: Saturday, January 14, 2017 @ 1:00PM
                  Location: Stockhouse Restaurant @ Sports Pub @ 506 Main St. Westbrook Maine. Plan to pay as you go
                  • RSVP: By calling Heather Socha at 802.485.2303
                  • Game Time: 4:00PM @ USM Ice Arena -55 Campus Ave, Gorham, ME. *
                  Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                  Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

It is very interesting how each team each year will some how come up with some way of playing , that they might not want to be remembered by. This 3rd period tough spot they keep getting into could become there way of doing business. A bit risky one might think. I am sure it is not on purpose. I think in part they start worrying about getting hit hard and hurt, and protecting #20 and the next thing you know, the foot is off the gas and the brakes are on. The possible trouble for them is that the scouting on them will be all about the 3rd period rallys that other teams have all had. But they still have plenty of the never quit in them, makes you proud doesn't it?

Comment

Middlebury night! As was proven in the Primelink, throw out the records. Should be fun.
                      Norwich '13

Comment

Middlebury night! As was proven in the Primelink, throw out the records. Should be fun.
                        Should be a good one
                        Steve Day(NU71)
                        Go Cadets

Comment

This is always THE game for me..............but then the Caselton is THE game for my grandson NU 2015. Time changes everything and not always for the better. Bet almost all of us miss the interlock. At least Coast Guard football will soon be here. I hope someone posts the real time game scores as I enjoy the colorful comments.
                          Also miss the greater Midd activity on these boards when Midd hockey was doing better. I would hate to see our NU hockey program go the same way. But as you said in these games, it's anybody's game. I learned that the hard way in a stupid bet many years ago.
                          NU '56
                          Old Member
                          Maybe the Oldest

NU56
                          Old Member
                          Maybe the Oldest

Comment

• End of 1
                            Norwich 2
                            Middlebury 1

Not sure what happened, but I logged on in the first two minutes of the game and we were already killing a double-minor with Salvucci in the box. Midd was able to get one and it seemed to take a few minutes for our guys to get focused - first shot on goal came 9 minutes into the game.

But the second half of the period was much better, capped by one of the prettier goals you'll see by Piacentini to tie it. Took the lead a minute later on a short, 15 second powerplay.

Overall, a physical, kinda sloppy first period.
                            Norwich '13

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                              End of 1
                              Norwich 2
                              Middlebury 1

Not sure what happened, but I logged on in the first two minutes of the game and we were already killing a double-minor with Salvucci in the box. Midd was able to get one and it seemed to take a few minutes for our guys to get focused - first shot on goal came 9 minutes into the game.

But the second half of the period was much better, capped by one of the prettier goals you'll see by Piacentini to tie it. Took the lead a minute later on a short, 15 second powerplay.

Overall, a physical, kinda sloppy first period.

That Piacentini goal was gorgeous.

r

Comment

• At the end of 2 the score is 2-2.

Both Panther goals on the powerplay. Think they're something like 2/7. Way too many penalties.
                                Norwich '13

Comment

Working...
                                X