Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    I may just have to drop into Krietzberg Homecomng weekend and see who may be "practicing"...pink fluffy stuff
    No ice till Oct. 1 at Kreitzberg
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
      I may just have to drop into Krietzberg Homecomng weekend and see who may be "practicing"...pink fluffy stuff
      D1 can be on the ice now with very limited instruction. I take it this "largesse" did not make it down to the D3 level.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Norwich Blue Line Club Facebook video introduced the players but the volume was so low that it was hard to hear all the new names. Norwich fans claim that a D1 transfer in coming to NU this fall. Names should be released by NU SI sometime this month.

In a Facebook video coach Mike Shane reported that the NEHC was considering bring in more teams in the future if teams are willing to change leagues. The St. A's flip flop on D3 status is not good for the future of there hockey program unless that decide to go D1. I personally think this is there only option now.
        2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
        2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
          Norwich Blue Line Club Facebook video introduced the players but the volume was so low that it was hard to hear all the new names. Norwich fans claim that a D1 transfer in coming to NU this fall. Names should be released by NU SI sometime this month.

In a Facebook video coach Mike Shane reported that the NEHC was considering bring in more teams in the future if teams are willing to change leagues. The St. A's flip flop on D3 status is not good for the future of there hockey program unless that decide to go D1. I personally think this is there only option now.
          I hate to be a grammar cop, but that post received an F.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            I hate to be a grammar cop, but that post received an F.
            Charlie is paying him back from above by garbling his words.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post

Why is it their only option? They are members of the NE 10, they can now play all of their NE10 rivals and continue playing for a conference championship like they always have. I believe they won't have any issues filling the schedule. Why would they ever move to D1 when they don't give D2 scholarships now and yet still make money for the school.

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
                Why is it their only option? They are members of the NE 10, they can now play all of their NE10 rivals and continue playing for a conference championship like they always have. I believe they won't have any issues filling the schedule. Why would they ever move to D1 when they don't give D2 scholarships now and yet still make money for the school.
                No new playups are allowed. But, since there isn't a D2 hockey championship, D2 schools may decide to participate in tbe D1 championship. And if there are 6 teams in the conference, they get an AQ into the D1 skate.

Scholarships are not required to play at D1 (see the Ivys, Union and RIT).
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

No new playups are allowed. But, since there isn't a D2 hockey championship, D2 schools may decide to participate in tbe D1 championship. And if there are 6 teams in the conference, they get an AQ into the D1 skate.

Scholarships are not required to play at D1 (see the Ivys, Union and RIT).
                  For the NE-10 to get an AQ into the DI tourney, wouldn't all of the teams in the league choose to "play up?" (I know that's not an accurate term, but it is a defacto choice to play up in the old sense.) It could only be cancelled by having enough DII schools to create a DII championship. It may be a DII team competing for the DI championship, but they would have to play a DI schedule in order to be competitive and they and they would have to recruit DI talent to play that schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                    For the NE-10 to get an AQ into the DI tourney, wouldn't all of the teams in the league choose to "play up?" (I know that's not an accurate term, but it is a defacto choice to play up in the old sense.) It could only be cancelled by having enough DII schools to create a DII championship. It may be a DII team competing for the DI championship, but they would have to play a DI schedule in order to be competitive and they and they would have to recruit DI talent to play that schedule.
                    Don't think so. There's a specific paragraph in the D1 bylaws that deals with the situation. IIRC, you have to declare for the tournament and it locks you in for 2 years.

Since you're eligible for the tournament, any game you play vs other tournament eligible teams (be it BC or AIC), count towards qualification.

If all 6 NE-10 teams declare (& then they drag in any NE-10 teams playing in the AHA), they're good to go.

Will there be much wailing in Waltham, Springfield and Grand Forks with an "unworthy" team filling one of the 16 spots? You betcha!
                    Last edited by joecct; 09-05-2016, 09:17 PM.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Don't think so. There's a specific paragraph in the D1 bylaws that deals with the situation. IIRC, you have to declare for the tournament and it locks you in for 2 years.

Since you're eligible for the tournament, any game you play vs other tournament eligible teams (be it BC or AIC), count towards qualification.

If all 6 NE-10 teams declare (& then they drag in any NE-10 teams playing in the AHA), they're good to go.

Will there be much wailing in Waltham, Springfield and Grand Forks with an "unworthy" team filling one of the 16 spots? You betcha!
                      They would still have to at least play a bunch of games against AHA type teams like RIT, and its cousins. If they actually wanted to be competitive in their NCAA game, they'd need to try to schedule a few games against quality opponents. It is still just playing up by another name.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                        They would still have to at least play a bunch of games against AHA type teams like RIT, and its cousins. If they actually wanted to be competitive in their NCAA game, they'd need to try to schedule a few games against quality opponents. It is still just playing up by another name.
                        MEAC vs. #1 seed in NCAA hoops. One and done and it's usually not pretty.

Play similar schools, but the important thing is the rivalries in conference (in all sports). The NCAA Kool Aid says the student-athlete experience is what is important, not the championship.

Heck if the championship was all that was important, then only the student-athletes at UWSP had a rewarding season and the 70 odd other teams had lousy seasons and their SAs didn't have a great experience.

We know that's wrong, but how many think it?
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

So what happens if Daniel Webster closes?
                          Last edited by joecct; 09-11-2016, 04:29 PM.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Not hockey, but want to congratulate the Norwich Corp of Cadets marching band and Drill team for the fantastic job they did in and after the Battle of Plattsburgh parade yesterday. Thank You.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Do what happens if Daniel Webster closes?
                              Talked with recent alum yesterday he said students and coaches have been kept in the dark by President and AD. This alum was ****ed because coaches have killed themselves and have received zero support from administration and they were competitive in year 1 last season. Apparently some schools were interested in buying it including snhu and unh. The big question is does another school like snhu or unh come in and put money into the athletic programs and infrastructure and now a snhu nashua or unh-nashua is relevant but that's if these Presidents want d3 athletics and would snhu want a d3 program when they also have a D2 program. Could they co-exist?

Comment

Certainly a weird situation for the students and the athletes. It is kind of surprising that DW wasn't shuttered with the rest. Perhaps ITT thought they could get something out of DW as compared to their other properties.

As far as a school having campuses that compete in different national organizations, you only have to look at Johnson and Wales. They have 4 campuses. One is NCAA DIII, two are NAIA, and the third is USCAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X