Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Attendance numbers are always relative too .. We drew 1, 724 last night ... Compare that with ...
    Army .. 1, 516
    Princeton ... 1, 587
    St. Lawrence ... 1, 426
    Alaska Anchorage ... 612
    Plattsburgh ... 1, 601
    Wisconsin Stevens Point ... 657
    Middlebury ... 474

I think you get the idea ....

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
      Attendance numbers are always relative too .. We drew 1, 724 last night ... Compare that with ...
      Army .. 1, 516
      Princeton ... 1, 587
      St. Lawrence ... 1, 426
      Alaska Anchorage ... 612
      Plattsburgh ... 1, 601
      Wisconsin Stevens Point ... 657
      Middlebury ... 474

I think you get the idea ....
      Are we perhaps exaggerating the attendance decline too? When people talk about the "glory days" they're probably talking about days before I first got on campus in 2009. Being from Illinois, I had never heard of Plattsburgh or Trinity or Middlebury. But, as a freshman, I remember being really impressed, almost shocked, at how big of a deal DIII hockey was and how big the crowds were. I vividly remember during the 2009-2010 season standing two or three rows deep at the railing and watching the Cadets slaughter people.

So I looked up the attendance from some of those games I remember (based on score) and I guess it was in the last year of the interlock since they were almost all against NESCAC teams. Hamilton, Wesleyan, and Trinity drew crowds of 1400, 1400, and 1700, respectively. Plattsburgh, played at the Primelink and in early January when the students were gone, drew 1000 and 1200. Only big difference I see is Castleton and Middlebury being sellouts, where last year both drew below 1000.

But, given historical context, 1724 against a conference contender but not a traditional rival seems to be rather in line with past numbers.
      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
        Are we perhaps exaggerating the attendance decline too? When people talk about the "glory days" they're probably talking about days before I first got on campus in 2009. Being from Illinois, I had never heard of Plattsburgh or Trinity or Middlebury. But, as a freshman, I remember being really impressed, almost shocked, at how big of a deal DIII hockey was and how big the crowds were. I vividly remember during the 2009-2010 season standing two or three rows deep at the railing and watching the Cadets slaughter people.

So I looked up the attendance from some of those games I remember (based on score) and I guess it was in the last year of the interlock since they were almost all against NESCAC teams. Hamilton, Wesleyan, and Trinity drew crowds of 1400, 1400, and 1700, respectively. Plattsburgh, played at the Primelink and in early January when the students were gone, drew 1000 and 1200. Only big difference I see is Castleton and Middlebury being sellouts, where last year both drew below 1000.

But, given historical context, 1724 against a conference contender but not a traditional rival seems to be rather in line with past numbers.
        I am extremely skeptical of that number given the sea of empty maroon seats

Comment

• Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
          Well tickets sold is always different than actual attendance, but I think pretty much every level of athletics goes by tickets sold for official attendance numbers.
          Norwich '13

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
            Well tickets sold is always different than actual attendance, but I think pretty much every level of athletics goes by tickets sold for official attendance numbers.
            Exactly. I fully believe that many tickets were sold. I really think the biggest issue is season ticket holders staying home. The students don't sit in those sections, if they sit at all, anyway. I believe those tickets were sold and the purchasers chose not to come.

Comment

• Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
              Tickets sold vs. Fannies in the seats.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

For Sticks and Giggles....

Comparing 2001-2002 with 2016-2017 Average Attendance:

Positive Gains:
                Utica +2067
                GENESEO +1635
                OSWEGO +1263
                CORTLAND +540
                FITCHBURG +521
                PLYM STATE +466
                ST.AS +425
                LAWRENCE +387

NEGATIVE ATTENDANCE
                MIDDLEBURY -1568
                ELMIRA -739
                NEC -693
                HAMILTON -630
                MSOE -512
                TRINITY -368
                SNC -343
                WILLIAMS -276
                BOWDOIN -257
                COLBY --237
                UWS -230
                ST.MARY -218
                POTSDAM -204

OTHER NOTABLES
                PLATTSBURGH -41
                NORWICH +2
                HOBART +193
                BROCKPORT +240
                UWSP +286

I will also say this too - Compared to the early 90's, especially at Plattsburgh, it has dropped big time but that has more to do with the base closing. These new fancy rinks, and all the technology (radio/video/live stats) it's just not worth it. On top of that the lack of "fun" allowed at rinks these days has gone out the window. I know I don't say and do the things I use to do 15 years ago at games, but kids these days are basically told to sit on their hands and give princess claps when the team scores. No more ragging on opposing players, no more yelling at the coach, no more giving it to the reffs, no more white boards, no more noisemakers, no more 4 letter word chants. And I love the people who say "well they're students"....yup and if most American hockey fans spent a season up in Canada and most of the Junior leagues these "kids" (most 20+ year old freshman ) are very very very well use to being ribbed during a game.

I've said it a million times. I may have been an *** during the game, but I'd be the first to buy you a beer after it. Player or fan. Opposing teams loved going into hostile environments. Sure having beer bottles chucked at you in Middlebury wasn't fun, or tussles at Maxy Hall when you steal the Bears mascot's head in the bathroom, the bagel/tennis ball nights, or the the white board chats we would have back in forth in Oswego probably were not good for 8 year olds eyes, but kids (college age and slightly there after) were allowed to be kids and it made for a much more entertaining night at the game. These "kids" don't want to go to a game now days and be told to sit down, and only clap when your team scores and don't say anything to the other team and or fans, or you will be kicked out. Thus they can stay back home, drink some...umm...beverages, and check in on the game here and there. But in our "everyone deserves a ribbon" world we live in, the NCAA has such a tight grip on the level of fun, it won't change any time soon.
                Last edited by PSUChamps2001; 12-03-2016, 12:43 PM.
                Remy Babineaux
                remyb616@gmail.com
                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post

Comparing 2001-2002 with 2016-2017 Average Attendance:

Positive Gains:
                  Utica +2067
                  GENESEO +1635
                  OSWEGO +1263
                  CORTLAND +540
                  FITCHBURG +521
                  PLYM STATE +466
                  ST.AS +425
                  LAWRENCE +387

NEGATIVE ATTENDANCE
                  MIDDLEBURY -1568
                  ELMIRA -739
                  NEC -693
                  HAMILTON -630
                  MSOE -512
                  TRINITY -368
                  SNC -343
                  WILLIAMS -276
                  BOWDOIN -257
                  COLBY --237
                  UWS -230
                  ST.MARY -218
                  POTSDAM -204

OTHER NOTABLES
                  PLATTSBURGH -41
                  NORWICH +2
                  HOBART +193
                  BROCKPORT +240
                  UWSP +286
                  PLATTSBURGH -41 It appears the Stafford renovations have really not affected the attendance

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Tickets sold vs. Fannies in the seats.
                    Yes, I referenced that. My post was in response to George's (we DREW 1700 whatever). We may have sold that many, but we definitely didn't draw that many. Semantics nonetheless

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                      ****. That was a helluva post.
                      Norwich '13

Comment

I think Jamie Rice will regret that he pulled the goalie so early. Regardless, great job to sweep the weekend.

As improved as the Cadets are on offense this year, I've been even more impressed with the defense. Overall, much better discipline this season, in my opinion. Still too many lapses, but looking solid.

My post about our 2 "#1" goalies turned out to be well-timed after Reichenbach turned in a gem today.

Forward, Cadets!

Comment

Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
                          What I noticed at the game tonight was that the sea of empty seats was notable to me during the anthems (especially for a Babson game), but the cheers at the end of the game came from a fairly full, if not overflowing, house.
                          The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Good win overall tonight, I thought Norwich dominated the game, but still we are off on our passing. Most of the passes were behind the player it was supposed to go to, and we still passed to the opponent too many times in our defensive zone. However... we maintained even pressure and blocked or poke checked a lot of pucks away from Babson. Ty did a great job in net, how lucky are we to have two excellent goalies on our team? We haven't yet seen our 3rd goalie yet, so we can't judge him, but I doubt he would be on the team if McShane didn't think he had potential. Again, I really like Jackson's defensive and offensive play, he is always in the mix and I thought Lewis and Thompson also played well. Well done Cadets! See you Tuesday night against St. Mike's who had a great weekend beating Babson and getting a tie with UMB. My guess is that we are going to see a improved or at least inspired team!
                            There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

• Originally posted by peddler View Post
                              What I noticed at the game tonight was that the sea of empty seats was notable to me during the anthems (especially for a Babson game), but the cheers at the end of the game came from a fairly full, if not overflowing, house.
                              I thought the same thing today. Pretty full by the end. Certainly appeared to be more full than last night

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                                It just feels like a great college atmosphere when there's pep band there. I wonder if they'd be welcomed at a varsity game?
                                Why not is it an issue with the support of the band director? The last band director who got the band to the games was a fan and made sure it happened. There's a lot of politics that goes on. As I said before - things go in cycles. One leadership group in the Corps wants to show up their processors by undoing what they did to show that they are "better." Norwich traditions (as in "we've always done it that way") tend to last 6-10 years, then the tradition changes. I wish it weren't that way, but sometimes that's what happens. The Seniors when I left wouldn't have been able to remember when the band didn't come to the games. Then it stopped, and now none of the current students remember when it happened. There's tons of good stuff that happens at Norwich, but there's a lot of for-de-rol that happens, too.
                                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X