UNLV to go D1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNLV to go D1

Not sure if this has been mentioned here or not.
    http://m.reviewjournal.com/sports/ho...varsity-status
    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Re: UNLV to go D1

Perhaps the thread title should have been, "UNLV Club Team to Attempt to Go DI." Just because the kids paying to play club hockey think they are good enough to be DI athletes doesn't mean they will be any time soon. "The club has met a couple of times with UNLV athletic director Tina Kunzer-Murphy, and she has thrown her support behind the attempt to go varsity provided the necessary funding is in place, both for men’s hockey and for a women’s lacrosse team in order to satisfy Title IX laws."
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

A lot of delusion and BS in the first 3 paragraphs in that article. Good luck to them though.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Is this just my deja vu, or did we see this exact thread a year ago?

It would be exciting if this happened. Let's hope they can find $12MM

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
          Perhaps the thread title should have been, "UNLV Club Team to Attempt to Go DI." Just because the kids paying to play club hockey think they are good enough to be DI athletes doesn't mean they will be any time soon. "The club has met a couple of times with UNLV athletic director Tina Kunzer-Murphy, and she has thrown her support behind the attempt to go varsity provided the necessary funding is in place, both for men’s hockey and for a women’s lacrosse team in order to satisfy Title IX laws."
          I suppose attempt would of been better but I'm trying to be optimistic. With UAA and Alaska a real possibility of losing one or both programs it would be great if UNLV can pull this off.
          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Not to disparage an obviously well-intentioned effort but $12 million doesn't get you very far in the D1 universe, especially if that number is supposed to also cover the start-up costs for an offsetting women's program. (Thank you, Title IX.) I don't see this happening unless someone can talk Steve Wynn or someone of that ilk into becoming the Terry Pegula of UNLV.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
              Is this just my deja vu, or did we see this exact thread a year ago?

It would be exciting if this happened. Let's hope they can find $12MM
              $12 million seems like an awfully low number to start a program with no travel partners.
              Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                Not to disparage an obviously well-intentioned effort but $12 million doesn't get you very far in the D1 universe, especially if that number is supposed to also cover the start-up costs for an offsetting women's program. (Thank you, Title IX.) I don't see this happening unless someone can talk Steve Wynn or someone of that ilk into becoming the Terry Pegula of UNLV.
                Foley is rumored to be a backer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
                  Let's hope they can find $12MM
                  The craps table ain't too far away.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                    Not to disparage an obviously well-intentioned effort but $12 million doesn't get you very far in the D1 universe, especially if that number is supposed to also cover the start-up costs for an offsetting women's program. (Thank you, Title IX.)
                    What do you mean? Women's LaX will certainly generate the necessary revenue to pay for the hockey team.

Las Vegas couldn't even support a minor league hockey team with all their crazy promotions and now they've plunked an NHL franchise in Vegas. Who is going to go watch college hockey in that city?
                    Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      What do you mean? Women's LaX will certainly generate the necessary revenue to pay for the hockey team.

Las Vegas couldn't even support a minor league hockey team with all their crazy promotions and now they've plunked an NHL franchise in Vegas. Who is going to go watch college hockey in that city?
                      Ryan J
                      Friends of Ralph??
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Friends of Ralph??
                        They don't play college hockey on Hitler's birthday.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Ryan J
                          Las Vegas supported the ECHL well, averaging about 4700 in attendance over 11 years and only dipping below 4300 for one season. Scheduling difficulties with Orleans Arena was what killed the team, not lack of support.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                            $12 million seems like an awfully low number to start a program with no travel partners.
                            Seems like a reasonable amount if you already have an arena you can play in.

Comment

I for one, am all for more hockey. More programs the better! Good luck to them!

Comment

Working...
                              X