PDA

View Full Version : UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Squarebanks
02-26-2017, 08:43 PM
And what "resources" are those, resources that UA_ has that UAA does not have? Hackett did a lot to improve the hockey program when he came in. The Farg is remodeled and is a beautiful workout facility for the team. He increased all of the coaches salaries. A big change from the prior AD, when possible, he does not schedule basketball games when there is a hockey game. He has really done a lot for hockey that people will never know about. What more do they need to do? They need to find the RIGHT COACH, and they just have not been able to do that yet. How the heck does FAIRBANKS out recruit us? It has nothing to do with our "resources" vs. their resources. They just have made smarter hiring decisions to their coaching staff. So, what do you suggest?

FAIRBANKS (as you put it) out-recruits UAA because our coaches target the right guys for the right place. There's a reason we have a lot of Alberta and BC farm boys on our team, and typically get a lot of guys from suburban Edmonton. Our coaches, much as a few Seawolf fans around here try to ridicule them, have a knack for finding hard working guys that have been overlooked and want to win. Looking at that team on paper and they had no business finishing in sixth this year, even in a crappy WCHA.

And if you ever take off the green and gold glasses (not ever likely) you'll figure out that UAF has a different story to sell than UAA does. Not everybody wants to spend four college years on an urban commuter campus. Just like not everybody wants to spend four years in a small town that occasionally hits 50 below.

Edit: on Matt Thomas, I think he is a good hockey coach. But he isn't the right coach for UAA. That much is apparent...he's had four years and the only year he's done anything was with Shyiak's players.

davyd83
02-26-2017, 08:45 PM
Ya, that's why I asked you to elaborate on your wording. I've never been to the bowels of the Sully, so I can't comment. But as far as facilities for the TEAM itself, the remodel of the Farg is pretty amazing, and the players love it. I am talking mainly fan perspective ... and from what I saw on TV of Ferris State, it didn't look very modern, and don't they have bleachers throughout the entire arena? Did look like they have some nice box seating - that is one of the things I wish the Sully had.

Yes. Ferris is bleachers, but you're right on top of the ice, and being a smaller facility, it's usually full, or close to full. It's a pretty good atmosphere. I've heard very good things about the practice facility. I've been to the AAC...fantastic building...except for one thing...

AKSWF
02-26-2017, 09:02 PM
Edit: on Matt Thomas, I think he is a good hockey coach. But he isn't the right coach for UAA. That much is apparent...he's had four years and the only year he's done anything was with Shyiak's players.

Matt Bailey, Jordan Kwas, Blake Tatchell, Scott Allen, Gundy and Kamal all had their best season in 13-14. PP and PK were pretty dismal though.

Yes. Ferris is bleachers, but you're right on top of the ice, and being a smaller facility, it's usually full, or close to full. It's a pretty good atmosphere. I've heard very good things about the practice facility. I've been to the AAC...fantastic building...except for one thing...

Some of the best places to experience football have bleachers: Lambeau, the Big House, the Rose Bowl.

Suze
02-26-2017, 09:06 PM
Matt Bailey, Jordan Kwas, Blake Tatchell, Scott Allen, Gundy and Kamal all had their best season in 13-14. PP and PK were pretty dismal though.

Some of the best places to experience football have bleachers: Lambeau, the Big House, the Rose Bowl.

Bleachers are back killers.

Seawolf Fan
02-26-2017, 09:16 PM
Our facilities at the Farg are pretty doggone nice.
I'll most likely catch some flak for saying it however it's the truth so flame away.
I've had the pleasure of touring the Nooks dressing room and facilities at the Carlson.
They are at or above NHL level.
Hollywood would be hard pressed to design anything nicer.
And the nooks still suck!!!!

Suze
02-26-2017, 09:20 PM

Not only has he not had success, but the Ferris play-by-play guy said UAA was last in the nation on the PP and have been for 3 years. He also said UAA is 5th in the nation for 5 minute major penalties and 9th in the nation in penalty minutes overall. Those are not stats to be proud of. It's not acceptable!

Squarebanks
02-26-2017, 09:22 PM
Our facilities at the Farg are pretty doggone nice.
I'll most likely catch some flak for saying it however it's the truth so flame away.
I've had the pleasure of touring the Nooks dressing room and facilities at the Carlson.
They are at or above NHL level.
Hollywood would be hard pressed to design anything nicer.
And the nooks still suck!!!!

I have been fortunate enough to tour NBA and NHL locker rooms. The Carlson Center player facility is NHL-caliber, and better than some NHL or NBA teams.

davyd83
02-26-2017, 10:15 PM

A couple years ago I sat on bleachers on back to back days in Tuscaloosa and then Green Bay. My butt had no complaints!

Seawolf Fan
02-26-2017, 10:22 PM
The guys provided us some exciting moments and games this season.
A lot of games that ended up in the wrong column turned on one goal or lack of one goal.
We're graduating 5 seniors and should return 6 juniors, 10 sophomores and 5 freshmen.
Always looking for a turn around season and 2017/18 should be it.
It's a great day to be a Seawolf!

UAFHockeyFan314
02-27-2017, 01:23 AM
Not only has he not had success, but the Ferris play-by-play guy said UAA was last in the nation on the PP and have been for 3 years. He also said UAA is 5th in the nation for 5 minute major penalties and 9th in the nation in penalty minutes overall. Those are not stats to be proud of. It's not acceptable!

UAA is 6th in the nation in penalty minutes overall with 553. Moreover, Alaska is 2nd with 644.

You have to take those stats with a grain of salt, though as the WCHA has called the most penalties of any of the leagues this year, and by far. The entire WCHA pretty much is in the top 16.

UAFHockeyFan314
02-27-2017, 01:36 AM
Props to Tuttle for some quality play by play this year. He's really coming into his own.

If you read this David, cheers to you.

UAFHockeyFan314
02-27-2017, 05:30 AM
Props to Tuttle for some quality play by play this year. He's really coming into his own.

If you read this David, cheers to you.

I wrote that as I was watching the replay of Friday's game. I just listened to the postgame segment with your color guy and heard him drop a little gem I'm sure you're not too proud of. Not very cool.

UAFIceAngel
02-27-2017, 11:43 AM
I wrote that as I was watching the replay of Friday's game. I just listened to the postgame segment with your color guy and heard him drop a little gem I'm sure you're not too proud of. Not very cool.

If it's what I'm thinking, he got laid in to by the AD, hence why he wasn't there Saturday.

DTuttle
02-27-2017, 06:31 PM

No, I agree. I issued an apology on Saturday night.

Suze
02-27-2017, 06:35 PM
If it's what I'm thinking, he got laid in to by the AD, hence why he wasn't there Saturday.

Don't know what was said, but I heard Bruce dropped quite a few f bombs two weeks ago.

AKSWF
02-27-2017, 08:31 PM
Don't know what was said, but I heard Bruce dropped quite a few f bombs two weeks ago.

To be fair, nobody probably understood what he was saying. ****ing sounds a lot like clearing, shearing, wearing, etc.

UAFIceAngel
02-27-2017, 10:58 PM

From what I heard, the dude said something about how he thinks the Seawolves should take a few game misconducts since they had nothing else to lose to take out a few Nanooks for the playoffs. I think thats a little worse than a few f bombs to your precious ears.

AKSWF
02-27-2017, 11:14 PM
From what I heard, the dude said something about how he thinks the Seawolves should take a few game misconducts since they had nothing else to lose to take out a few Nanooks for the playoffs. I think thats a little worse than a few f bombs to your precious ears.

What a PC world we live in, he said it jokingly. Literally chuckled and had a smirk on his face after saying it. Should he of said it on air no, that is bar (or should I dare, locker room talk) talk. Saw the replay on my friend's recording of the game.

Alaska Hockey
02-27-2017, 11:57 PM
I've been to every rink in the league. Sully isn't awful from a fan perspective, but it still would be in the lower half of the league, but when you consider the facilities for the teams to use, it ranks dead last. Sully beats the Carlson Center up top, but down below, it's no contest. How many rinks have you been to in the past few years?

Bemidji is easily the best overal, by a wide margin, then I'd have a group with Mankato, Tech & NMU as the better rinks. Lake State, Bowling Green & Ferris would be middle of the pack and Huntsville and the Alaskas would be at the lower level.

David as you rate the arenas as 2 part fan side /user side
And I respect your rating but I have been to a few arenas about 15 road trips
As “fan friendly “Dude Huntsville is the best hands down party tables, hard liquor, 15 draft beers, table service and drink in most seats , good food. Stay at team hotel free happy hour 5:30-7:30 free drinks Friday and Saturday night
UAA had mandatory booster meeting at the hotel and power drank until 7 pm some took the walk about 10 min to get there I reserved the van for curb to curb. Hotel loves hockey fans that tip them.
And any rink that has planks and no beer and wine section rates lower than the Sully
And rinks with no beer and wine hall and planks rates lower than Carlson.
Any planked rink with no beer is not better than the above.......” fan wise”

AKSWF
02-28-2017, 07:26 AM
David as you rate the arenas as 2 part fan side /user side
And I respect your rating but I have been to a few arenas about 15 road trips
As “fan friendly “Dude Huntsville is the best hands down party tables, hard liquor, 15 draft beers, table service and drink in most seats , good food. Stay at team hotel free happy hour 5:30-7:30 free drinks Friday and Saturday night
UAA had mandatory booster meeting at the hotel and power drank until 7 pm some took the walk about 10 min to get there I reserved the van for curb to curb. Hotel loves hockey fans that tip them.
And any rink that has planks and no beer and wine section rates lower than the Sully
And rinks with no beer and wine hall and planks rates lower than Carlson.
Any planked rink with no beer is not better than the above.......” fan wise”

Dude that's in friendly Alabama, were you offered a cold beer, and fried catfish with hushpuppies while deplaning?