Alaska Nanooks: 2016-17 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks: 2016-17 Season Thread

Matt Buxton posted this on twitter: "UA Regents are moving to say don't eliminate sports under any circumstances. #akleg #akgov"

That makes me feel a little better!

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
      Matt Buxton posted this on twitter: "UA Regents are moving to say don't eliminate sports under any circumstances. #akleg #akgov"

That makes me feel a little better!
      Motion was passed by the Regents to direct management (I.e. Johnsen) to continue developing options to avoid the elimination of any athletic programs.

Like I said, this fight ain't over.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Enough about funding, what about hockey. One week until the Blue/Gold game.

The Nooks appear to have a solid incoming class of freshmen. I’m sure hard working young men ready to make their mark in college hockey. Many have decent Jr hockey stats, which does not necessarily mean much in the college game.

With only three available upper classmen on defense, and only five forward upperclassmen, the recruits will get a baptism by fire. Point production by returning Nook upperclassmen is nothing to write home about, so we need meaningful production from our underclassmen. A lot to ask. It’s cliché to say, but this group must certainly play an unselfish, defensive, team game and get outstanding goaltending if they are to have any success.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Can someone explain to me why we have four goalies? Is it just due to the fact we haven't had a truly consistent goaltender in several years?

Comment

Can someone explain to me why we have four goalies? Is it just due to the fact we haven't had a truly consistent goaltender in several years?
            I would guess that one of the young men truly loves the game, is not afraid of hard work, realizes the importance of a good education, and probably receives little to no financial support. Stranger things have happened and you never know when you might get your chance. Hope is naturally inspiring.

Either that or it is plainly obvious that none of our coaches were math majors.

So in summary, I don't know either.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Unless one of the new guys tears it up in practice, this is probably the Jones/Jenks show again. My guess is one or both of the freshmen get stashed on the practice squad to hone their skills and compete for the 2 spot next year when Jones is graduated and Jenks is theoretically the number 1. Jenks has three more years of eligibility, so basically we are set for goalies for the next four years, assuming none of them leave because they aren't playing right away.

Also, I think UAA is carrying four goalies as well. Which is even weirder because Mantha is a very clear #1 guy.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                Enough about funding, what about hockey. One week until the Blue/Gold game.

The Nooks appear to have a solid incoming class of freshmen. I’m sure hard working young men ready to make their mark in college hockey. Many have decent Jr hockey stats, which does not necessarily mean much in the college game.

With only three available upper classmen on defense, and only five forward upperclassmen, the recruits will get a baptism by fire. Point production by returning Nook upperclassmen is nothing to write home about, so we need meaningful production from our underclassmen. A lot to ask. It’s cliché to say, but this group must certainly play an unselfish, defensive, team game and get outstanding goaltending if they are to have any success.

Go Nooks!
                I think we will lose a lot of games in October and November, but won't be surprised if things pick up after the break. I've heard the phrase "addition by subtraction" used more than once this offseason, so if these new guys can gel I think we'll be in good shape by the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  Also, I think UAA is carrying four goalies as well. Which is even weirder because Mantha is a very clear #1 guy.
                  Looks like 3 for UAA according to the website. I don't remember if we have ever had 4 at once so that's the only reason I asked.

Comment

We are probably in the middle of the pack regarding strength of conference schedule. Looks to me like BSU and UAH have the toughest rotation, and BGSU and MTU not so much. BSU plays four of last year’s top five teams x4. The Nooks play two of last year’s top five teams x4, and plays three of last year’s bottom five teams x4. Conference SOS doesn't mean that much. You better be ready to play every game.

Comment

Looks like 3 for UAA according to the website. I don't remember if we have ever had 4 at once so that's the only reason I asked.
                      You missed the memo. .......dim Johnson has twitter'd the ncaa to have them adjust their rules to go with Butterbean's 2 2 2 Basic Defense System. the goalies change up with the wings but can't cycle out with the d's.
                      Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 09-18-2016, 02:22 PM.
                      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Picked between 8th and 10th by all the experts. In other words, we have them right where we want them.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                          Picked between 8th and 10th by all the experts. In other words, we have them right where we want them.
                          We both need winning seasons to put people in the stands.
                          Other than the obvious I hope the Nooks have a winning season.
                          Probably take a lot of ---- for saying that.
                          It's a great day to be a Seawolf!

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                            We both need winning seasons to put people in the stands.
                            Other than the obvious I hope the Nooks have a winning season.
                            Probably take a lot of ---- for saying that.
                            It's a great day to be a Seawolf!
                            I would love to finish 1-2 year in and year out. Sadly it's not going to start this year. I do think we will be better than what people will think this season, but the first couple months are going to be tough.

Comment

Supporters of College Athletics in Alaska

Your hard efforts in support of athletics paid off at the Regents meeting in Juneau. The Regents passed a recommendation 11 to 0 with one abstention to find a way to continue funding athletics. This was a huge accomplishment but it needs to be recognized by your letters, emails, phone calls thanking the regents for their support. In addition Governor Bill Walker also supported college athletics. Let us not lose our support and each of you and your friends thank these folks for their support. Perhaps someone can encourage the resources owned by the University as a land grant institution to start earning income from those resources. Just help them find a way to increase funding for the University or how to cut costs maintaining athletics.

Chuck Homan
                              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                                Supporters of College Athletics in Alaska

Your hard efforts in support of athletics paid off at the Regents meeting in Juneau. The Regents passed a recommendation 11 to 0 with one abstention to find a way to continue funding athletics. This was a huge accomplishment but it needs to be recognized by your letters, emails, phone calls thanking the regents for their support. In addition Governor Bill Walker also supported college athletics. Let us not lose our support and each of you and your friends thank these folks for their support. Perhaps someone can encourage the resources owned by the University as a land grant institution to start earning income from those resources. Just help them find a way to increase funding for the University or how to cut costs maintaining athletics.

Chuck Homan
                                Well said.

Comment

Working...
                                X