Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
    Are the Nanooks dealing with injuries?
    Some, but this weekend was more about playing nine freshmen at the #11 team in the country. I think they actually played better than the scores indicate.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Re: Alaska Nanooks: 2016-17 Season Thread

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      Some, but this weekend was more about playing nine freshmen at the #11 team in the country. I think they actually played better than the scores indicate.
      Yea, it sounds like we're in denial when we get shut out two games and give up nine goals on the weekend, but still have audacity to say that play wasn't that uneven for most the series. But that's my mind set.
      5x5 play was more than even on Saturday (lost 0-5). I thought ND out skated us on Sunday (lost 0-4), even if all the damage (gave up three goals) was done in 90 seconds in the second period. I was somewhat surprised but proud of their focus in the third on Sunday when frustration could have taken over. It will be interesting to see how the boys compete against the middle of the WCHA pack, which is most of our second half schedule. No such thing as freshman after x-mas break. Step it up boys.

We have most everyone back from injuries (other than temporary insanity and momentary paralysis), but I don't think those guys are at 100%. But we'll never hear anything about it (which is OK by me- none of our business).

We have another bye week ahead of us before we head to FSU on Jan 13 & 14.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
        Yea, it sounds like we're in denial when we get shut out two games and give up nine goals on the weekend, but still have audacity to say that play wasn't that uneven for most the series. But that's my mind set.
        Go Nooks!
        Being dark and freezing most of the year might help accelerate the illness.
        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Just heard about your weather forecast! BRRRRRRRRRRRR. Stay warm up there!!

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska...ign=user-share
          Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
            Just heard about your weather forecast! BRRRRRRRRRRRR. Stay warm up there!!

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska...ign=user-share
            I was kind of hoping that UAH was in town this upcoming weekend, it's the kind of experience that one day they would tell their grand kids about. But we are still on the road at FSU and UAH isn't in town until Feb 3rd. It's probably going to be a shock to a lot of Fairbanks folks who have only been here a few years. We haven't really seen a good ole Fairbanks hell freezes over cold spell in quite some time. Can we hear a big "hell yea" for global warming.

Comment

I was kind of hoping that UAH was in town this upcoming weekend, it's the kind of experience that one day they would tell their grand kids about. But we are still on the road at FSU and UAH isn't in town until Feb 3rd. It's probably going to be a shock to a lot of Fairbanks folks who have only been here a few years. We haven't really seen a good ole Fairbanks hell freezes over cold spell in quite some time. Can we hear a big "hell yea" for global warming.
              I saw that the Nanooks were on the road. I was kinda hoping a WCHA team was coming up there soon. HA! We have had a colder winter down here too, but nothing even close to that yet! Knock on wood.
              Originally Posted by aparch
              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

While we are recruiting more and more Southerners to the team over time —*we have a recruit for '18 or '19 from Miami — most of our guys have played junior in Canada, and John Teets is from Fairbanks. All the Fort Mac guys wouldn't be bothered by it.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                  I saw that the Nanooks were on the road. I was kinda hoping a WCHA team was coming up there soon. HA! We have had a colder winter down here too, but nothing even close to that yet! Knock on wood.
                  When we were at Notre Dame their TV guys were talking about the last time ND was in Fairbanks in 2012 and it was 50 below...I was at that game. I think that was the last time Fairbanks saw 50 below temps.

Sounds like Palmer/Wasilla might get into the 20's below this weekend...would be the coldest it's been in a few years.
                  “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    While we are recruiting more and more Southerners to the team over time —*we have a recruit for '18 or '19 from Miami — most of our guys have played junior in Canada, and John Teets is from Fairbanks. All the Fort Mac guys wouldn't be bothered by it.

GFM
                    50 below is kind of fun for a couple of days in a weird, novelty way. But it gets old pretty fast after that.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                      I know. Heck, our public schools don't even call off elementary recess unless it's below -20. But I've been here 50 years and I guarantee you I will get bothered by it. It has more to do with what your recent comfort zone is. In the fall we think zero is darn cold. In the spring we break out shorts when it climbs to zero. Even getting back into town from a warm weather vacation makes it feel that much worse. A true cold snap would be a memorable experience for any visiting team, but you never get used to it.

I think we have hit -30 every winter even in the past few "global warming" years. It is no big deal for a night or two. But it's been a while since we hit a sustained -45 (or below) week or two week long cold snap. The long range forecast could ease, or it could stretch to Feb 3rd...

Comment

Oh, I'd find that cold. I haven't regularly lived above the Mason-Dixon line since 1991, and winters in Southwest Ohio aren't really all that bad.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                          50 below is kind of fun for a couple of days in a weird, novelty way. But it gets old pretty fast after that.
                          The real "fun" is when it's minus-50 one week, and then 50 above the next
                          "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

I think that you have a puncher's chance: http://blog.wchaplayoffs.com/2017/01...-ferris-state/

How do the boys fare when they've had the winter break to rest and heal before hopping some planes?

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              I think that you have a puncher's chance: http://blog.wchaplayoffs.com/2017/01...-ferris-state/

How do the boys fare when they've had the winter break to rest and heal before hopping some planes?

GFM
                              I was pleased with the outcome tonight. Fought back from theee one goal deficits and came away with two points.

That said...this team has to score goals to win. They're not going to win defensive battles this year.

Comment

Hey MMF
                                Glad your team didn't toss in the towel when they saw the "odds"?
                                Yep, I'm over here trolling.

Comment

Working...
                                X