Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks: 2016-17 Season Thread

A few thoughts after the first half...

1. Home record has got to improve. 3-9 at home just doesn't cut it. Especially when the WCHA standings between 4 and 8 are so tight, those home games have to be won. And it's an issue that goes back a couple of seasons now.

2. This freshman class, if they stay together, has the potential to be pretty darn good in a couple years.

3. We have to figure out goaltending. I can't figure out if it's the Jenksones combo or the defense breaking down, but Jenks' GAAis last in the WCHA statistically among guys who have played at least 33% of the minutes. Jenks was solid last year, so I'm inclined to think it's defense.

4. Looking at the major statistical categories, you would think we would be dead last or close to it in the WCHA. We are 8th in goals for, 10th in goals against, 2nd in penalty minutes, and 7th in penalty kill. The lone bright spot has been the power play running at a respectable 17.6%, good for 4th in the conference.

5. Which leads me to my final point, this team is grittier than they might get credit for. They've taken their lumps (e.g. Giving up an astounding 21 goals over 4 games to Mankato), but they usually get up off the mat. Where it gets interesting is the entirety of our second half WCHA schedule, with one exception (playing at Bowling Green) is against the bottom tier of the WCHA. Due to pure circumstance our WCHA schedule was heavily frontloaded with the top teams in the league...we are done against Bemidji, Tech, and Mankato and have already played Bowling Green and Huntsville once with decent results. Despite everything, these guys have a good opportunity to actually jump up in the standings.

Here's the TL;DR version: So you're telling me there's a chance...
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Agree pretty much with Squarebanks. Here is my take on the second half.

We are more than halfway through with our WCHA schedule with a record of 5-9-2, and sit in 7th place with 19 points (includes 2 shootout bonus pts). With 12 freshmen, 20 underclassmen, and only average goaltending, I’m not surprised at our record so far. Actually, we haven’t been that bad, just not very consistent.

We have played 10 of our 16 games against the top four teams in the conference, going 2-7-1 and getting only 8 out of a possible 30 points. We went 3-2-1 on the road in the other six games, taking 11 out of 18 points. Our second half schedule is more favorable than the first half, but we still need to get it done on the ice.

Comparing schedules, I can see us (and LSSU) moving up one or two spots by season end, with UAH and FSU possibly dropping back one or two. LSSU also has a more favorable second half schedule. I think BSU, MTU, MSU, and BGSU will land somewhere in the top four spots, but here are what the remaining teams are facing (imho).

5th-UAH (23 pts): MSU(2), LSSU(2), MTU(2), UAF(2), BSU(2), BGSU(2)
      Of 12 games left, 8 of those against top 4 conf teams. Going to be tough to hold on to 5th or even 6th in conf.

6th-FSU (20 pts): UAA(4), UAF(2), BSU(2), BGSU(2), MTU(2), LSSU(2)
      6 out 14 remaining games against top 3 conf teams. A fighting chance for 5th but probably need some points against top teams.

7th-UAF (19 pts): BGSU(2), FSU(2), UAH(2), NMU(2), LSSU(2), UAA(2).
      Only 2 out of 12 games remaining against a top conf team. A fighting chance for 5th in conf. but can’t afford to get swept by anyone.

8th-LSSU (16 pts): NMU(4), UAH(2). MSU(2), UAA(2), UAF(2), FSU(2)
      Only 2 games out of 14 remaining against a top four conf team. Solid chance for 5th in conf., but need points every weekend.

9th-UAA (9 pts): BSU(2), FSU(4), MTU(2), NMU(2), MSU(2), LSSU(2), UAF(2)
      Games in hand on other teams, but 6 of 16 against top conf teams. Tough battle to finish higher than 9th. Probably need to sweep both NMU and UAF.

10th-NMU (7 pts): LSSU(4), UAA(2), BGSU(2), UAF(2), MSU(2), MTU(2)
      14 games left but 6 are against top conf teams. Will struggle to get out of last place. Probably need to sweep both UAA and UAF at a minimum.

But it's all garbally-goop if you don't get it done on the ice...
      Go Nooks!

Comment

also note...UAA has two two-week road trips in second half of WCHA season>>>>

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
          To you village people it's like " going to town twice in one trip".
          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
            That's not a bad thing, they have played better on the road.
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
              That's not a bad thing, they have played better on the road.
              Yea, our so-called home rink advantage has been non-existent for a few years. Our guys seem to play with more intensity on the road. Maybe a hostile crowd is better than a small crowd. But,…so far this year we have played the top four teams in the conf at home, MSU(x2), BSU(x2), MTU(x2), BGSU(x2), and also UAA(x2). We split with MSU, BGSU, and UAA. Would really be disappointed if our road record isn't any better than our home record.

Comment

Are the rumors about UAA and UAF being in trouble of survival legit? Saw it on another board. Hope not as college hockey needs both.

Comment

Originally posted by ac9er0 View Post
                  Are the rumors about UAA and UAF being in trouble of survival legit? Saw it on another board. Hope not as college hockey needs both.
                  The Regents voted NOT to cut athletics. Hockey appears to be safe for both schools.
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by ac9er0 View Post
                    Budget cuts have hurt (especially on recruiting) but they aren't being eliminated. That "issue" was put to bed a while ago (I use quotation marks because I don't think for UAF it was ever a serious topic of conversation).
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Glad to hear. I've been out of the loop. Can't wait to finish the house and back to watching sports more closely.

Comment

Both games this weekend will be streamed online through NBC Sports, as an FYI.
                        Last edited by Squarebanks; 12-28-2016, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                          Budget cuts have hurt (especially on recruiting) but they aren't being eliminated. That "issue" was put to bed a while ago (I use quotation marks because I don't think for UAF it was ever a serious topic of conversation).
                          One big "issue" for ua_ is how do we convince the Board of Regents that the Alaska Airlines Center at UAA could be used for other things instead of the state of art field

house so that the "New 3 piece campus of U A athletics" stays on the village campus in _airbanks . good luck with that.
                          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                            One big "issue" for ua_ is how do we convince the Board of Regents that the Alaska Airlines Center at UAA could be used for other things instead of the state of art field

house so that the "New 3 piece campus of U A athletics" stays on the village campus in _airbanks . good luck with that.
                            Easy. Sell it, use the money to fund statewide athletic scholarships and lease back space for UAA. Then UA isn't on the hook for the upkeep on a building they don't have the money to pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                              Easy. Sell it, use the money to fund statewide athletic scholarships and lease back space for UAA. Then UA isn't on the hook for the upkeep on a building they don't have the money to pay for.
                              It would be easier to sell all the Chancellor residence's "free housing" at all campus's as a unneeded perk for the big dogs. Some of these are never used except for a crash pad and use the funds to convert the unneeded new Engineering Building at UA_ and the under used Carlson Center to homeless shelter's and return the patty gym to rec for the students. and All Athletics would be at the Anchorage campus as it is the largest in the state. You can still cheer........ just pretend they are all away games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                                It would be easier to sell all the Chancellor residence's "free housing" at all campus's as a unneeded perk for the big dogs. Some of these are never used except for a crash pad and use the funds to convert the unneeded new Engineering Building at UA_ and the under used Carlson Center to homeless shelter's and return the patty gym to rec for the students. and All Athletics would be at the Anchorage campus as it is the largest in the state. You can still cheer........ just pretend they are all away games.
                                Yawn. You keep on being bigger and spending money on new parking garages and we'll keep on being the only Tier 1 university in Alaska.

Comment

Working...
                                X