Alaska Nanooks: 2016-17 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks: 2016-17 Season Thread

Are any of you ladies and gentlemen coming to town this weekend? I would love to do a meet-up at one of our fine drinking establishments — craft beer is in a bit of a boom in Huntsville — sometime on Saturday, anywhere between noon and 4pm for a starting time. If you're interested, reply here or email me at g@uahhockey.com for info. Thanks!

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      Are any of you ladies and gentlemen coming to town this weekend? I would love to do a meet-up at one of our fine drinking establishments — craft beer is in a bit of a boom in Huntsville — sometime on Saturday, anywhere between noon and 4pm for a starting time. If you're interested, reply here or email me at g@uahhockey.com for info. Thanks!

GFM
      I will be at the A&M/Ole Miss game this weekend...thought about trying to pop over to Huntsville on Friday but the timing wasn't right with some other stuff going on.

Someday!
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        I will be at the A&M/Ole Miss game this weekend...thought about trying to pop over to Huntsville on Friday but the timing wasn't right with some other stuff going on.

Someday!
        I hope both of those teams fall into the sinkhole in the stadium and take the Tide with them. Hail State.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

hail state.

Gfm
          You might be the only State fan in college hockey. Or outside of Starkvegas.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
            You might be the only State fan in college hockey. Or outside of Starkvegas.
            You would be wrong. There are a fair number of MSU alumni in Huntsville; many of them have graduate degrees from UAH and have fallen into a sports landscape where they can avoid the UAT/AU duopoly.

Also, my dad is '69 BS IndEng and '70 MS IndEng. I had better money to go to Starkville, but I wanted out of MS after six years.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

NCAA has responded to the UA athletics waiver request by basically saying "try it and see what happens". As such, skiing is staying.

Comment

The BoR just approved that no sports eliminated from UAA or UAF

Comment

I hope both of those teams fall into the sinkhole in the stadium and take the Tide with them. Hail State.

GFM
                  Roll Tide Roll!
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                    The BoR just approved that no sports eliminated from UAA or UAF
                    Outstanding news. Is this a one year reprieve, or a long term commitment?
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Love to hear the BoR news!

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      Roll Tide Roll!
                      In the unlikely event that State wins on Saturday, I may call you to ring a cowbell into my phone.

GFM
                      Last edited by gfmorris; 11-10-2016, 06:43 PM.
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        Outstanding news. Is this a one year reprieve, or a long term commitment?
                        Johnsen, assuming he's still around in this capacity in a year, has been told by the BOR to not cut sports. And the NCAA just put their balls on the table and said "try it and see what happens" to that ridiculous waiver request.

What's more, democrats seized control of the Alaska House. That means Nut Job Wilson won't be able to ram her anti-education agenda down everyone's throats.

It's been a good week for the U of A.

Comment

Good job Nooks. With Saturday’s 3-1 road win over UAH the Nooks garner 5 of a possible 6 points on the weekend, keeping us in the middle of the pack. We’re still a work in process, but coming from behind in both games says a lot about this team. Since the WCHA schedule is so unbalanced, we’re really sitting in about 7th place, regardless of total points.

I’m not a coach, but have we told the boys that during face-offs that the big flat part of your stick points down? Happened to see Saturday’s stats which led me to go back and look at the season so far. This is one of the many parts of a skill set that can make a big difference over the course of a season.

We have a week off and then a tough MTU team coming to town on Nov 25th and 26th.

Go Nooks!

Comment

The Nanooks fell to the visiting Michigan Tech Huskies 4-1 Friday night. I would give an edge to the Huskies effort, but overall it was a fairly evenly played game. We had our chances but just didn’t capitalize. Both teams play with pace so it was good hockey. At times we looked like a team coming off a bye week, so hopefully tonight we are a little sharper, play with a little more urgency, and split the series.

Ross Heidt opened scoring and put the Nooks up 1-0 with this wrister about 9 minutes into the first…

Less than one minute later Tyler Heinonen comes unchecked down the slot…

…and ties it up with this goal.

Tech continued putting pressure on the Nooks with a good presence around the net…

The Nooks also got their chances up and in close, but both goalies were pretty much up to the task…

The Nooks had their chances in the second…

…but looking back, it was the Huskies who went up 2-1 with this goal from Jake Lucchini a little more than 4 minutes into the frame…

Joel L`Esperance made it 3-1 Huskies with this powerplay goal about 14 minutes into the second…

It was a good battle throughout the rest of the game with both sides getting their chances, but neither team scored until Tech buried an empty-netter making the final score 4-1.

Comment

Hate to be critical but your camera and production crew is absolutely terrible tonight. Worst I have seen in a long time. Not sure what changed from last night because that was much better.
                              Camera can't seem to find the puck, movement is erratic, and the zooming in and out is painful.

Comment

Well, I would say both games were better than the final scores would indicate. The effort and compete level was there, but we are a young team that is going to struggle against more experienced squads this year. Tech is the latter.

It'll be tough sledding in Mankato, but if we can get some points against UAA and Bowling Green at home we will be in an ok spot.

Comment

Working...
                                X