Union College: 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pokey View Post
    As soon as they evened up the penalties they put the whistles away - so much interference and holding at the end..
    maybe it's a Boston rule...
    You lost to our JV team and you're whining about penalties. Really?
    Go BU!

Comment

• Re: Union College: 2016-2017

I will never complain about ECAC refs again, as long as I live.

On to the ECAC and Dartmouth and Harvard. We need points. Ever one is precious.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

The too many men penalty WAS VERY OBVIOUS.. I could even see it on the live video. Walker was barely at the boards trying to get off and Scarfo jumped early from the other end of the bench and intercepted the puck! They had to call that one, it was a very bad penalty at a very bad time. Really too bad because up to then they had done an excellent job killing off the other penalty - which maybe wasn't quite as obvious but still had to be called. Then Sak gets caught cheating for the cross-ice pass that never came on the tying goal and leaves half the net open..

This game really confirmed a lot of my concerns about this team. As much as Vecks-Vidmar-Foo are magic out there at times, the team defense and goaltending are often sorely lacking. U should have been able to put this game away in the 3rd period but seemed to let up and give BU all kind of skating room. You just can't expect to give up 35+ shots and expect to win against a high quality opponent.. and make no mistake, BU will be much better when they get all their players back from WJC. Right now U is not looking like a top 20 team..
        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

I agree with ADK11. Union is giving up too many shots and goals to consistently beat quality teams. Especially for a team which carries possession. This team can only win when they score 3 or more (with exception of 2nd Vermont game). 5 against win probability is very low, and inability to win multiple ways makes Union a pretender. I'd be more optimistic if we saw some 1-0 or 2-1 wins to complement the 5-3 games. Until then, opponents can pack it in, avoid a track meet, and win a low scoring game.

Comment

The problem with playing a good team is that you pay the price for all your errors and all your flaws are put in the spotlight (I don't want to hear any crap about BU's "JV" team, that's a bunch of garbage).
            Our defense is shaky at times.
            Goal tending is average: butterfly by default = you get beat up top every time
            Intensity of our game is too inconsistent (whole team): it seems that we get mad once in a while and all of a sudden we have all that energy for some period of time. And then we fall back and just watch the other team.

As for the penalties at the end, I agree that they were very obvious and should have been called, especially the too many men! However, let's be honest: BU really got away with a couple.

I really think this team has something, but I also wish we could get the exact same players for another year to get more gelling of some lines. Let's do well against Harvard, it should be a good game.
            Last edited by UFan; 01-06-2017, 07:48 AM.
            Let's go Union !
            ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
            ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
            NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Originally posted by UFan View Post
              The intensity of our game is too inconsistent (whole team).
              You got that right !! First 10 minute BU came out smoking and outshot us 9-1 and was up 2-0. We woke up and for the next 10 minutes outshot BU 9-3 and tied it up. We carried this play into period two and outshot BU 20 - 6 and put two more on the board. Unfortunately, we passed one right to Carpenter. Got to give BU credit. They played with an incredible intensity that third period and both teams blocked 18-19 shots in total. A lot of leaders on that BU team last night. The third period felt like a tournament game. The bad news is that had we won these past two games we would have been so well anchored in the pairwise that a NCAA bid might have been possible with just a good ECAC finish. Back to the ECAC. Dartmouth.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                First 10 minute BU came out smoking and outshot us 9-1 and was up 2-0.
                Soon after that second BU goal, there was a "TV time-out." It was clear to me until that point that it had gotten into the Union players' heads that this was going to be an easier game with BU's stars gone. I told my friend that after the tongue-lashing the Union coach was giving his players that Union was going to get serious now and hang on. Precisely what happened and Union took it to BU quite a while after that point. However, that first 10 minutes was fatal for Union.

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                  U should have been able to put this game away in the 3rd period but seemed to let up and give BU all kind of skating room.
                  As long time hockey Fan and original Dutchman season ticket holder now BU alum and Terrier for life I completely agree

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                    LOL both penalties at the end were blatantly obvious. As soon as the game's online stream replay is up I can screenshot you the six guys on the ice and the U guy's stick completely across the BU forward's chest if you'd really like.

Edit: Here: https://campusinsiders.com/live/1-5-17-union-at-bu-mih/
                    02:18:55 - stick clearly across his chest, obvious hook.
                    02:21:30 - U guy coming off the ice, nowhere near bench.
                    02:21:32 - Four different U guys on the screen, guy coming off the bench for previous player has the puck. Not on screen - guy seen two seconds prior is not off the ice.
                    While you are doing that could you get the one where the BU player tackles the Union defensemen in the union zone with no call
                    or the one right before the OT winner (out by the blue line) where the BU player grabs the union player guarding JFK and pushes him to the right circle
                    or Sak getting his helmet ripped off next to the net
                    or the goalie interference on the OT winner (in a hurry to get home for the USA Canada game)
                    Every one of those was blatant and Foos penalty was a stick grab and fall down...

Yes BU did well with limited players but I guess the ol' Bruins adage is true "If you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin"

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      LOL both penalties at the end were blatantly obvious. As soon as the game's online stream replay is up I can screenshot you the six guys on the ice and the U guy's stick completely across the BU forward's chest if you'd really like.

Edit: Here: https://campusinsiders.com/live/1-5-17-union-at-bu-mih/
                      02:18:55 - stick clearly across his chest, obvious hook.
                      02:21:30 - U guy coming off the ice, nowhere near bench.
                      02:21:32 - Four different U guys on the screen, guy coming off the bench for previous player has the puck. Not on screen - guy seen two seconds prior is not off the ice.
                      Not questioning the too many men ..
                      But you have a stick on every player all the time but when they grab it and roll to the ice - that is embellishment...
                      and why stop calling penalties then??

Comment

Originally posted by UFan View Post
                        The problem with playing a good team is that you pay the price for all your errors and all your flaws are put in the spotlight (I don't want to hear any crap about BU's "JV" team, that's a bunch of garbage).
                        Our defense is shaky at times.
                        Goal tending is average: butterfly by default = you get beat up top every time
                        Intensity of our game is too inconsistent (whole team): it seems that we get mad once in a while and all of a sudden we have all that energy for some period of time. And then we fall back and just watch the other team.

As for the penalties at the end, I agree that they were very obvious and should have been called, especially the too many men! However, let's be honest: BU really got away with a couple.

I really think this team has something, but I also wish we could get the exact same players for another year to get more gelling of some lines. Let's do well against Harvard, it should be a good game.
                        They never mentioned we were without 2 starting centers(Taylor and Eli), and 1 defensemen (campbell).. and had 2 players playing hurt... but send their freshman to canada and woe is me...

Comment

Originally posted by Pokey View Post
                          While you are doing that could you get the one where the BU player tackles the Union defensemen in the union zone with no call
                          or the one right before the OT winner (out by the blue line) where the BU player grabs the union player guarding JFK and pushes him to the right circle
                          or Sak getting his helmet ripped off next to the net
                          or the goalie interference on the OT winner (in a hurry to get home for the USA Canada game)
                          Every one of those was blatant and Foos penalty was a stick grab and fall down...

Yes BU did well with limited players but I guess the ol' Bruins adage is true "If you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin"
                          Hahaha! Thanks for the laughs! I guess what they say about Union fans is true after all.

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                            The too many men penalty WAS VERY OBVIOUS.. I could even see it on the live video. Walker was barely at the boards trying to get off and Scarfo jumped early from the other end of the bench and intercepted the puck! They had to call that one, it was a very bad penalty at a very bad time. Really too bad because up to then they had done an excellent job killing off the other penalty - which maybe wasn't quite as obvious but still had to be called. Then Sak gets caught cheating for the cross-ice pass that never came on the tying goal and leaves half the net open..

This game really confirmed a lot of my concerns about this team. As much as Vecks-Vidmar-Foo are magic out there at times, the team defense and goaltending are often sorely lacking. U should have been able to put this game away in the 3rd period but seemed to let up and give BU all kind of skating room. You just can't expect to give up 35+ shots and expect to win against a high quality opponent.. and make no mistake, BU will be much better when they get all their players back from WJC. Right now U is not looking like a top 20 team..
                            I agree -- they have a tendency to take their foot off the gas when ahead.. and like the too many men penalty - that is a coaching issue..
                            They are dynamic but due to unforeseen circumstances (missing guys) they shuffle lines too much..

Comment

http://www.bbc.com/sport/ice-hockey/...rthern_ireland

Union playing the the Friendship Tournament in '18 along with Yale, BU, and UCONN. Good field, should be a fun trip.
                              Last edited by AnthonySaxe; 01-06-2017, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                                Hahaha! Thanks for the laughs! I guess what they say about Union fans is true after all.
                                If you are going to point out the 2 penalties you saw - I was only asking that you check the others as you must have been jumping up and down celebrating and
                                missed them - even the announcers (yours) said "gotta way with one there" at least 3 times in the last 3 mins of reg and the OT..
                                If your announcers said they gotta way with one - I assume THEY know what a penalty is.. right??
                                or was it Belichek who said that.. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X