Union College: 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2016-2017

Chiming in, looks like you guys are going to have another magical journey this year, congrats on your first half and make the ECAC proud again! Nice article on Vecchione.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here!!! There are still a lot of games to be played, and the season is still very long. Really tough games are coming up, and the second half will not be a piece of cake (Harvard and SLU just to name a few)...
      We are in a better spot than some others, that's true. A bit more scoring depth would make me feel a ton better.
      Let's go Union !
      ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
      ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
      NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Originally posted by UFan View Post
        Let's not get ahead of ourselves here!!!.
        Shabby: Thank you for your congrats on our first half, but I am in complete agreement with UFan. Going forward we have to face 8 teams that are in the top 20 (pairwise). The Saints and Q only have to face 3 (USCHO top 20). By the way, the only other ECAC team with such a difficult schedule is Colgate. A few years back RPI had only won a single game by the break and then went on a tear to finish second in the ECAC. Likewise, Cornell, last year started out with a bang and only won 4 in all of January and February. Here is hoping both Union and Colgate can finish strong.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Originally posted by UFan View Post
          Let's not get ahead of ourselves here!!! There are still a lot of games to be played, and the season is still very long. Really tough games are coming up, and the second half will not be a piece of cake (Harvard and SLU just to name a few)...
          We are in a better spot than some others, that's true. A bit more scoring depth would make me feel a ton better.
          2 wins at UVM are a resume anchor for this Union team. Record means much more now.

Comment

Originally posted by UFan View Post
            Totally agree. We don't want to jinx ourselves.
            Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

North Dakota has a reputation for starting slow. A young team laden with talent where it's more important to develop that talent in the first part of the season. They have 11 NFL draft picks. They always come out smoking in the second half. We will be their first opponent after their Dec 10 break. Another blogger notes that the "Fighting Sioux" are 26-2-2 in the month of December going back to 2010. ND is 8 timers D1 Ice National Ice Hockey Champs. A few games back they defeated BC. http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._for_north.php
              Their best period is period 2. They are off to a better start than many of their past national championship teams.
              With 8 teams in the top 20 pairwise still yet to play, we have a difficult mountain to climb.
              https://youtu.be/ZxYwZUJ3Qp8
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                They have 11 NFL draft picks.[/url]
                Wow...impressive!
                I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

NoDak will likely be missing 2 of their top 3 scorers to injury (Brock Boeser) and World Juniors (Tyson Jost). BU could be missing a bunch of players to WJC if US & Canada advance beyond the quarterfinals - this would include top goalie, 2 top d-men & their top 3 scorers. The games will still be formidable tasks, but is definitely too bad especially if all the BU players are out (they have like 7 players at WJC).

Very pleased with the weekend in Vermont and the signs that offense can produce even when Vecks & Foo are not on the ice. The team was also short-handed without Vidmar, Walker, Campbell & Eli and found a way to win the 2nd game without a best effort. The first game of the weekend may have been U's best game all year. I think the offensive depth is coming along pretty nicely. The Supinski-Scarfo-Maier line is starting to produce, Brown has been getting better each game and Walker was starting to produce before he went out. A little more production from Pontarelli, Rinaldi, Burton, etc. and could have 3 lines of decent O. Have been very happy with Kolias' play and the defense as a group seems to be gelling. Sak has also been pretty consistent the last 2-3 months and was nice to see him mostly steal one against UVM. A little more of that and this team may make some noise. I'm still worried about the high SOG allowed and inconsistent (at best) special teams. Am very interested to see how they do against the top competition coming up and what I always consider the the big physical litmus test of Cornell.
                  Last edited by ADK11; 12-27-2016, 01:13 PM.
                  UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                    NoDak will likely be missing 2 of their top 3 scorers to injury (Brock Boeser) and World Juniors (Tyler Jost). BU could be missing a bunch of players to WJC if US & Canada advance beyond the quarterfinals - this would include top goalie, 2 top d-men & their top 3 scorers. The games will still be formidable tasks, but is definitely too bad especially if all the BU players are out (they have like 7 players at WJC).
                    Good points on Boeser and Jost being out. They are our 2 best players when healthy, however our leading goal scorer thus far, Shane Gersich, has stepped up in a big way this year. We're going to need him along with some others(looking at you Poganski & Gardner) to step up. It sounds like one of our top dmen, Hayden Shaw, will also be back this weekend so that makes me feel a little bit better about the back end. However, it'll be interesting to see how they approach limiting Vechionne as it sounds like he's on quite a tear this year. If we win this game, I'd imagine it's as a result of our goalie, Cam Johnson, being dialed in and winning a 2-1 or 3-2 type game.

Oh also, not a big deal but it's Tyson Jost, not Tyler Can't wait to tune into the webcast and get the NYE party started early!

Comment

Thinking about coming to the game Saturday vs. North Dakota, but looks like standing room is all that is left ticket wise.

I don't mind standing at all, but wanted to see if anyone knows if the standing section provides a good view of the ice. Looks like standing spots are reserved. Any ones better than others?
                      Thanks
                      My Website:

http://www.roamingtherinks.com

Hockey Arena Photos and Reviews

Comment

Speaking of the game on Saturday- saw the article about doing the RPI like raffle for the jerseys and to send an e-mail in if you can't make the game. Anyone have any luck with this? Not living in the Capital District, I sent a note in a couple days ago and haven't heard anything.

Still can't form an opinion on the jerseys. Stuck in the "are these so bad they're awesome? Or is a big picture of the Nott just odd?" Either way I'd rock it with pride.

As for SRO tix, I believe they aren't assigned. Most sight lines are actually pretty good. SRO is on the bleachers by the stairs on the press side, about five feet from the glass starting at the goal line back on both sides if I remember correct. It's been a couple years since we made a home game.

Originally posted by 1fastGRT View Post
                        Thinking about coming to the game Saturday vs. North Dakota, but looks like standing room is all that is left ticket wise.

I don't mind standing at all, but wanted to see if anyone knows if the standing section provides a good view of the ice. Looks like standing spots are reserved. Any ones better than others?
                        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MplsSioux View Post
                          Good points on Boeser and Jost being out. They are our 2 best players when healthy, however our leading goal scorer thus far, Shane Gersich, has stepped up in a big way this year. We're going to need him along with some others(looking at you Poganski & Gardner) to step up. It sounds like one of our top dmen, Hayden Shaw, will also be back this weekend so that makes me feel a little bit better about the back end. However, it'll be interesting to see how they approach limiting Vechionne as it sounds like he's on quite a tear this year. If we win this game, I'd imagine it's as a result of our goalie, Cam Johnson, being dialed in and winning a 2-1 or 3-2 type game.

Oh also, not a big deal but it's Tyson Jost, not Tyler Can't wait to tune into the webcast and get the NYE party started early!
                          Thanks for the correction - I knew his name was Ty-something and too lazy to check .

Really looking forward to seeing this game, as this is yet another opponent that a few years ago would never have thought would pay a visit to Schenectady in a million years. Your team last year had a fantastic first line that made Quinnipiac look bad in ways that nobody in ECAC has been able to do recently. I'm not sure that Union's top line is quite that good, but they are very much the sum of their parts and can turn an errant turnover into a goal very quickly. Foo has actually been playing the best recently, but is a mistake to concentrate on only 1 or 2 players on that line as they can all make plays. They had a pretty quiet weekend against Vermont in the last games, so will be interesting to see how they do against better competition (I put Vermont, BU, Harvard in that category too) and potentially excellent goaltending in Johnson.

Originally posted by 1fastGRT View Post

Thanks
                          I've done the SRO a couple times and prefer being more near the bluelines/center ice as it is easier to see both ends of the rink. Security won't let you go close to the boards (you have to essentially stand up against the bottom of the stands) so there is some distortion/blockage seeing the near corners. The ends of the rink give a more unobstructed view, but the far end is obviously harder to see. Other than not being able to sit down, its really pretty cool to be so close to the action. You can see some things you'll miss at bleacher level and can really appreciate what the players are seeing at ice level and the skills of the players.
                          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by uniondutch21 View Post
                              Speaking of the game on Saturday- saw the article about doing the RPI like raffle for the jerseys and to send an e-mail in if you can't make the game. Anyone have any luck with this? Not living in the Capital District, I sent a note in a couple days ago and haven't heard anything.

Still can't form an opinion on the jerseys. Stuck in the "are these so bad they're awesome? Or is a big picture of the Nott just odd?" Either way I'd rock it with pride.
                              I ordered my raffle tickets using the call 518-388-6288 by Friday, December 30 at 5:00 pm option -
                              You actually get to speak to the lady and conduct the transaction with credit card.. She will call you back
                              if you leave a voice mail - she must be very busy.. as for the jersey itself I like to think of it as UNIQUE

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post

I've done the SRO a couple times and prefer being more near the bluelines/center ice as it is easier to see both ends of the rink. Security won't let you go close to the boards (you have to essentially stand up against the bottom of the stands) so there is some distortion/blockage seeing the near corners. The ends of the rink give a more unobstructed view, but the far end is obviously harder to see. Other than not being able to sit down, its really pretty cool to be so close to the action. You can see some things you'll miss at bleacher level and can really appreciate what the players are seeing at ice level and the skills of the players.
                                Thanks for the info guys.

Gonna make the 4 hour drive Saturday to check out the game.
                                My Website:

http://www.roamingtherinks.com

Hockey Arena Photos and Reviews

Comment

Working...
                                X