Union College: 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2016-2017

I've been watching college hockey for over 40 years and can't say I've ever seen a game like that one.. the shot stats seem a little out of whack for the game as a whole, but still U barely touched the puck for the first 30 minutes of the game and somehow tied after DeSimone lofts a wounded duck into the top corner. Sak was good but he was also kicking rebounds out all over the place and was out of position more than a few times.. but somehow didn't get burned. Foo had an incredible game after the first period and the team as a whole picked it up over the 2nd half of the game, which I thought was mostly even good scoring chance-wise. Still the hockey gods were with us tonight. Very glad to have the 2 points.

As a BTW.. 4 more points for the VFV line & 13 on the weekend.. the beat goes on.
    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

ADK I would agree it was a strange game....

DeSimone's first goal was definitely a wounded duck but his second goal was a laser.
      Foo is a wizard with the puck his play/pass on DeSimone's second goal was fantastic.
      I thought J Taylor also had a really nice game with lots of jump and that rip on the second goal.

Whether we win pretty or ugly take the 2 points on Q's home ice and run.... I will say Q is one very dangerous team. Pretty interesting to see the two ex U coaches on their bench in Dumais & Riga.

Another 4 point weekend.......

Go U !

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        Well, well, well
        Mr. Singer
        You were just going to shut down our only good line and then mop the floor with us ...
        I bet you also predicted Hillary was going to win by a landslide.
        I will give credit where credit is due. Union finished the limited opportunities they had. Quinnipiac has pretty much zero high end finishers and that could easily cost them this season. Good luck down the road.
        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
        https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Game recap

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...n-despite.html
          QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
          2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
          2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
          2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
          https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
          https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
          https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

This weekend is our last chance to gather some precious ECAC points. It will be more than a month until January 13 & 14 when ECAC play will resume with Dartmouth and Harvard. Most ECAC teams have 14-16 games to play which mean that no one is out of the running, regardless of their start. Points may mean home ice or possibly a bye week. Both Brown and Yale could go on a tear and wind up on top of the heap. They both have the talent to do so.

Brown has been away for 7 of the 10 games it has played and is returning home after a four-game road trip. They will be psyched to show the home fans what they can do, especially coming off a win against a very good Army team. We are not going to be able to rely on the "hockey gods" for this one.

Yale tied Clarkson twice and it's only a matter of tie before Yale works out the bugs. This is an Allain coached team which means they will be back in the running.

League points are precious and this will be our last chance for a while.
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Dutchman, you are absolutely correct each of these games are critical, every point helps. Brown and Yale usually play us very tough in their rinks. If the team let's up or loses focus they will walk away getting swept. Let's hope they can build on the mojo from their last two wins.

Comment

[QUOTE They will be psyched to show the home fans what they can do, especially coming off a win against a very good Army team.

Historically they haven't had a very good fan base. In the past, there have been more Union fans than Brown fans at their games.
                Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

This weekend is our last chance to gather some precious ECAC points. It will be more than a month until January 13 & 14 when ECAC play will resume with Dartmouth and Harvard. Most ECAC teams have 14-16 games to play which mean that no one is out of the running, regardless of their start. Points may mean home ice or possibly a bye week. Both Brown and Yale could go on a tear and wind up on top of the heap. They both have the talent to do so.
                  Oh dear lord.............Brown has one scorer in the top 40 in the ECAC. They are the worst team in goals against (57th in the nation) and goals for (58th in the nation) in the league. Embarrassing hyperbole. Please stop posting.

Brown has been away for 7 of the 10 games it has played and is returning home after a four-game road trip. They will be psyched to show the home fans what they can do, especially coming off a win against a very good Army team. We are not going to be able to rely on the "hockey gods" for this one.
                  Have you ever seen a Brown home game? There aren't really fans to speak of for the home team there. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Comment

I saw that Brendan Taylor was back in the lineup both nights at right wing. That has to be a big plus going forward.
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonySaxe View Post
                      Oh dear lord.............Brown has one scorer in the top 40 in the ECAC. They are the worst team in goals against (57th in the nation) and goals for (58th in the nation) in the league. Embarrassing hyperbole. Please stop posting.

Have you ever seen a Brown home game? There aren't really fans to speak of for the home team there. You have no idea what you're talking about.
                      What a nice post...
                      Anyways, point is Yale and Brown tend to give us a hard time. Stats from the past 5 years:
                      2011-12: split yale, loose to Brown
                      2012-13: 2 ties away, wins at home
                      2013-14: we sweep
                      2014-15: we win both away, loose both at home
                      2015-16: split Yale, loose/Tie Brown

No matter what the stats for this year say, historically, it hasn't been a walk in the park for us.
                      Let's go Union !
                      ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                      ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                      NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Originally posted by UFan View Post
                        What a nice post...
                        Anyways, point is Yale and Brown tend to give us a hard time. Stats from the past 5 years:
                        2011-12: split yale, loose to Brown
                        2012-13: 2 ties away, wins at home
                        2013-14: we sweep
                        2014-15: we win both away, loose both at home
                        2015-16: split Yale, loose/Tie Brown

No matter what the stats for this year say, historically, it hasn't been a walk in the park for us.
                        No, that wasn't the point. He said Brown could "go on a tear and end up at the top of the heap." That was what I was laughing hysterically at, as it is obvious to anyone with eyes or a functioning brain that it won't happen.

As it relates to us, Brown does always seem to give us trouble, and I won't be surprised if that happens again this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonySaxe View Post
                          No, that wasn't the point. He said Brown could "go on a tear and end up at the top of the heap." That was what I was laughing hysterically at, as it is obvious to anyone with eyes or a functioning brain that it won't happen.
                          Yes, I agree, maybe a tad optimistic
                          Let's go Union !
                          ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                          ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                          NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Last year, Clarkson was 0-5-2 at the Christmas break. The Golden Knights finished fifth in the league going 11-3-1 in January and February. In 2012-13, RPI was in a similar position at 1-5-2 at the break. That season, the Engineers went 11-2-1 in the last two months of the year to finish in second. Nothing is settled this early. For those of us who saw the Brown Game we know they are loaded with speed and talent regardless what their numbers show. Last year Cornell started out on a tear and crashed only winning 4 in all of January and February. When I sounded the alarm against Holy Cross I was also poo-pooed and boy did they kick our butt. By the way, we had more fans there than HC. These ECAC points are critical now, because as the season goes on they will be harder and harder to come by, in part because our schedule has us on the road this year more than others. We are going to be picked to win both of these because of our record.

Its time to get psyched and ride into Providence to "ride to ruin and the worlds ending" https://youtu.be/Pis3veqKl8k
                            Last edited by Dutchman; 12-06-2016, 09:17 PM.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Sakellaropoulos tabbed as ECAC Hockey Goalie of the Week !!!!!

Oh, by the way ... here is the most flattering thing that the St. Rose "girlie man" had to say about him and the team and coaches last year. Should he apologize?

Lord, when will you people stop with the Sak narrative? He was a late desperation recruit and has looked like it ever since he arrived. He's not athletic, very unaware, and lacks poise. Generally good? What? He was 6 points under .900. Let's all stop that. If one of the freshman aren't any good, we're in big trouble in goal.

Freshman class leaves me unexcited, again.

Vidmar may be fine, but shot at an unsustainable rate in the NAHL and played well above his head from a points perspective.

Supinski looks like a guy who just gets it done, but as ADK11 stated, no aspect of his game really stands out. But the points are there, so whatever he's doing, its working.

Taylor and Maier are tough to get a read on. Both look like they could be solid top 9 players, but I don't expect major contributions from either as a freshman.

Dufour. Man, the hype on this guy when we got him. He's been a dud in the USPHL, so, uh, yea. Don't expect much.

Campbell is an unknown. I haven't seen him play at all, but he has good numbers, is reported pretty intelligent.

The goalies..........are large. That's about all anyone can say about them at this point. Neither one is a top goalie in their respective weak leagues.

Recruiting is a huge issue. We should have been raking in talent after the National Title, but instead, we have really struggled. Last year's class was Scarfo, Foo, Brassard, and a bunch of filler. We'll see if this year is the same, but it's not looking like the most exciting class ever. We lost Kevin O'Neil, a local kid from Albany Academy, to Yale today. That's pretty sad. Lost another prep school kid to Princeton last week, where hockey careers go to die. I don't know why we were so afraid of losing Dumais as we were last season. In my view, he (and Tapp) have been a massive disappointment in terms of recruiting. I don't know who's fault it is, but for a team with so much national success in the last 5 years, we haven't done a good job restocking the cupboard.
                              Last edited by Dutchman; 12-07-2016, 11:22 AM.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Sakellaropoulos tabbed as ECAC Hockey Goalie of the Week !!!!!

Oh, by the way ... here is the most flattering thing that the St. Rose "girlie man" had to say about him and the team and coaches last year. Should he apologize?

Lord, when will you people stop with the Sak narrative? He was a late desperation recruit and has looked like it ever since he arrived. He's not athletic, very unaware, and lacks poise. Generally good? What? He was 6 points under .900. Let's all stop that. If one of the freshman aren't any good, we're in big trouble in goal.

Freshman class leaves me unexcited, again.

Vidmar may be fine, but shot at an unsustainable rate in the NAHL and played well above his head from a points perspective.

Supinski looks like a guy who just gets it done, but as ADK11 stated, no aspect of his game really stands out. But the points are there, so whatever he's doing, its working.

Taylor and Maier are tough to get a read on. Both look like they could be solid top 9 players, but I don't expect major contributions from either as a freshman.

Dufour. Man, the hype on this guy when we got him. He's been a dud in the USPHL, so, uh, yea. Don't expect much.

Campbell is an unknown. I haven't seen him play at all, but he has good numbers, is reported pretty intelligent.

The goalies..........are large. That's about all anyone can say about them at this point. Neither one is a top goalie in their respective weak leagues.

Recruiting is a huge issue. We should have been raking in talent after the National Title, but instead, we have really struggled. Last year's class was Scarfo, Foo, Brassard, and a bunch of filler. We'll see if this year is the same, but it's not looking like the most exciting class ever. We lost Kevin O'Neil, a local kid from Albany Academy, to Yale today. That's pretty sad. Lost another prep school kid to Princeton last week, where hockey careers go to die. I don't know why we were so afraid of losing Dumais as we were last season. In my view, he (and Tapp) have been a massive disappointment in terms of recruiting. I don't know who's fault it is, but for a team with so much national success in the last 5 years, we haven't done a good job restocking the cupboard.
                                Look forward to the mods deleting your post again for Mid-20th Century sexism, you illiterate hack. You're an embarrassment. "Girlie-man" is an insult? Don't even know what it implies besides your backwards implication that a predominantly female school is somehow inferior. I'm sure women love you. Nothing gets the opposite sex going like freezing-cold takes and posts written at a 2nd grade level.

Sak has a .914 save percentage, middle of the pack. Would love to find the people who think he's a great goalie. Stand by the other comments. Let me know what's wrong there, dunce.

Remember when you suggested Roy could play defense because he was big? Real smart take.

Comment

Working...
                                X