Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule's Committee Recommends 4 on 4 OT, RPI to adjust for OT losses

• 4 on 4 OT, with the option to be followed by 3 on 3 and/or shootout

• The Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Ccommittee has indicated that some adjustments would be made to the Ratings Percentage Index criteria to award some credit for a team that loses in the overtime period.

• Officials and players must wear helmets anytime they are on the ice with the exception of during the playing of the national anthem.

• A coach’s challenge will be required for video replay to be used to review goals relating to offsides, except for the last two minutes of the game and any overtime periods. Officials will be able to review offsides during the last two minutes of the game and all overtime periods. In postseason tournaments, all aspects of the video replay criteria will be utilized, including offsides, without the need for a coach’s challenge.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/articl..._fb_sf28450758
    BS UMass Lowell 2015
    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Re: Rule's Committee Recommends 4 on 4 OT, RPI to adjust for OT losses

So wait, will the game officially end in a tie after the 4-on-4, with the 3-on-3/shootout only counting in the conference standings (as is the case now for the conferences that use shootouts)? Or will the 3-on-3/shootouts now actually determine a winner? Either way I'm not a huge fan. Maybe its the soccer fan in me, but i've never thought ties were the end of the world. Obviously not all the time, but every once in a while they don't bother me. People say they're not satisfying for fans because they don't provide a definitive result to the game, but if you're telling me you would rather have you're team lose a game in a gimmicky overtime rather than walk away with a tie after fighting their opponent to a stalemate after 60 minutes, then you're nuts.
    Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
    University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Seems like the 3-on-3/shootout thing would only be for conference standings and not PWR/NCAA ramifications because they said it can be implemented on a conference-by-conference basis.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

The 3 on 3 would be conference only. Ya we all know ties are fine to hockey purists. But a game that ends in a 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 is WAY better than ending in a shootout and that's all that matters. This is an improvement from the current state. We're not going to get the 5 min OT and then tie back.

Comment

I am completely in favor of 4x4 OT, and I think this is an overdue move. It will open up the ice quite a bit, and more games that go to OT should end with a winner. Ties are OK, but playing for/trapping & obstructing your way to a tie is not.

Comment

Horsefeathers!!!!!

5x5 for 10 minutes, like it was before the late 80s. RPI can't depend on a gimmick.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              RPI can't depend on a gimmick.
              But Clarkson can?
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

In the case of a tie after regulation, I would vote for:
                4 on 4 for 5 minutes, then if still tied
                3 on 3 for 5 minutes, then if still tied
                The game is officially a tie.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Have we learned nothing from the NHL's offsides challenges? Zapruder film breakdowns of whether a skate might have been in the air or on the ice, with all energy drained out of the building while fans sit around. Fabulous. We're paying 2 linesmen to watch for that. Let them do their jobs

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                    Have we learned nothing from the NHL's offsides challenges? Zapruder film breakdowns of whether a skate might have been in the air or on the ice, with all energy drained out of the building while fans sit around. Fabulous. We're paying 2 linesmen to watch for that. Let them do their jobs
                    I agree. College games are far from having as many camera angles as NHL. I watch a decent amount of NHL, not a lot, and have already seen a few cases where the replay in inconclusive due to what you describe. Not worth the break. Cameras for in the net or not, and nothing else is fine for me, until they install cameras in the boards at the blueline near the base (ad even then, view will be blocked by other players legs often).

Given the alternative of a shootout, I am fine with the 4 on 4, with anything after that only affecting conference standings. 10 minute ot would be preference.

Is there not already a helmet rule? When are they not wearing them now that this rule covers? (Oh yeah, and I think this rule will ruin the game of Hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Comment

I'm a purist. Play 60 minutes and let the result stand. If ties are such a bad thing play real hockey until you get winner. If the shootout is something to be avoided, avoid it altogether. Baseball is toying with the idea of eliminating the excitement of making the pitcher throw 4 actual pitches to intentionally walk a batter. They are not going to make a rule that says this only applies to the starting pitcher. Or only in extra innings. Or only after 2 previous IBBs are issued.

Of course if you really want to get rid of shootouts, get rid of ties. And if you want to get rid of ties, find an actual way to increase scoring. During the early era of Notre Dame hockey (1970/71-1982/83) an average of 4 games went beyond regulation per season. In the more modern era since returning to conference affiliated D1 play, (1992/93-2015/16) they have averaged 6.6 games going more than 60 minutes, a 65% increase. Scoring in the 1970s and 80s was substantially higher than it is today. This season's 10 OT games is a total never exceeded and equaled only once (1999/00) in 37 seasons worth of top level hockey.

I don't particularly feel the 3X3 OT is the panacea many see to avoid the shootout. Coaches hated the idea because they were afraid they'd lose control over the outcome since the chaotic nature that 3X3 hockey often turns into shuns the very nature of "coachable." But look at the Detroit Red Wings during the regular season. They played 20 games this year that went more than 60 minutes. The first 9 were decided in the 3X3 OT, but the next 11 saw 6 go to a shootout. This is a small sample, yes. But the other NHL team I follow, the New York Islanders, were even less exciting in the OT. Their first two OT games were decided in the 3X3. They played 17 more OT games and 9 went to a shootout. The coaches are figuring it out. College coaches, who exert even more control over far less skilled skaters, will also quickly figure this out and you will see almost as many games decided in a shootout. I'm curious as to the stats in the rest of the NHL. If my suspicion is wrong I'd like to see the numbers but I'm willing to bet it was similar throughout the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                        The 3 on 3 would be conference only. Ya we all know ties are fine to hockey purists. But a game that ends in a 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 is WAY better than ending in a shootout and that's all that matters. This is an improvement from the current state. We're not going to get the 5 min OT and then tie back.
                        Respectfully disagree. One of the attractive things about hockey, at least to me, is that it recognized (until the NHL started screwing around) that on a given night, one team might not be better than the other and that the only fair and legitimate outcome is a tie on the scoreboard and one standings point for each team. Now it looks like the NCAA is following the NHL lead in having tightly contested games decided by gimmicks. And shootouts? A complete atrocity that decides the outcome of games based more on luck than skill.
                        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                          Is there not already a helmet rule? When are they not wearing them now that this rule covers?
                          Assuming this is a serious question (I know, I know) I can think of three scenarios...

-- Officials not wearing helmets during team warm-ups
                          -- Players leaving their helmets on the bench at the end of the warm-up but having to skate across the ice to go to their locker room (particularly while teammates or opponents are still shooting)
                          -- Officials and players coming onto the ice just prior to team introductions

Another assumption is that Senior Day/Night recognition activities will be exempt.
                          Last edited by CrazyDave; 06-11-2016, 10:27 AM.
                          Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                          Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                          Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post

Is there not already a helmet rule? When are they not wearing them now that this rule covers? (Oh yeah, and I think this rule will ruin the game of Hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
                            I'm guessing this is in response to the tragic death of referee Butch Mousseau, who was not wearing a helmet during pre game warmups when he tripped and hit his head,

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                              Respectfully disagree. One of the attractive things about hockey, at least to me, is that it recognized (until the NHL started screwing around) that on a given night, one team might not be better than the other and that the only fair and legitimate outcome is a tie on the scoreboard and one standings point for each team. Now it looks like the NCAA is following the NHL lead in having tightly contested games decided by gimmicks. And shootouts? A complete atrocity that decides the outcome of games based more on luck than skill.
                              I'm not sure what you disagree with. You must support a conference that doesn't have shootouts so it's a little different. All I'm saying is, selfishly:

4 on 4 + 3 on 3 + stupid shootout > 5 on 5 + stupid shootout

because it minimizes the chances of the stupid shootout.

Comment

Working...
                              X