Off Season Topic: Hockey Terminology, 2016-17 Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Season Topic: Hockey Terminology, 2016-17 Edition

Many of you will remember the thread I started last year on terms, phrases and buzz words used in connection with the game of hockey. Well, I've been adding to that list ever since, while also deleting a few marginal ones, and so here is the latest "2016-17 Edition". I can't imagine there are any others still out there that are not on this latest edition, but if you can think of one or two that I've somehow still missed, feel free to chime in! Isn't hockey the greatest game ever?

Hockey Terminology, 2016-17 Edition
    all alone
    altercation
    angling
    backcheck
    back door
    back end
    backhand
    backpressure
    backstopped
    barn
    bar down
    beast
    beaut/beauty
    bender
    biscuit in the basket
    blind pass
    blocker
    blowing a tire
    blue paint
    boards (around the boards)
    bobbled
    body/body check
    box
    breadbasket (right in the)
    breakaway
    breezers
    brick wall
    bucket
    butt end
    butterfly
    cage
    celly
    change on the fly
    charging
    chased out
    chemistry
    cherry pick
    chicklets
    chippy
    chip out
    chirp
    clang
    clear
    clogging up the middle
    clutch and grab
    coast-to-coast
    coincidental penalties
    compete level
    contain
    Cooperalls
    crash the net
    crease (in the)
    crisp
    crossbar
    cross-check(ing)
    cycling
    dances (around)
    dangle
    dasher
    D-corps
    D to D
    deflection
    deke
    delayed offside
    delayed penalty
    dent the twine
    dig
    dipsy-doodle
    dirty areas
    dishes it off
    dive
    Donnybrook
    dots
    down low
    drop the gloves
    draw
    drilled
    drop pass
    double dinner bell
    dump and chase
    dump in
    EAG
    ejected
    electric
    embellishment
    empty netter
    end-to-end
    enforcer
    ENG
    extracurriculars
    faceoff
    feed
    fire wagon hockey
    fisticuffs
    five hole
    flashed the leather
    flat attack
    floater
    flow
    forecheck
    freeze
    full strength
    gap control
    garbage goal
    get a handle
    give and go
    good hands
    good look
    good/busy stick
    goon
    got the gate
    Gordy Howe hat trick
    Grade A
    grinder
    grit
    glove side
    hack
    half boards
    half-moons
    half wall/end wall/the wall
    hand pass
    hard (fast) ice
    hash marks
    hat trick
    hattie (hatty)
    head man
    head on a swivel
    helper
    Herbies
    high slot
    high sticking
    hip check
    Hobey
    hockey hair
    hockey sense
    hooking
    hoser
    howitzer
    hybrid icing
    ice is tilted
    icing
    incidental contact
    infraction
    inside outside
    instigator
    intentional offsides
    interference
    in deep
    in the cookie jar
    in the numbers
    iron
    jets
    ‘juicy’ rebound
    keeper
    keep your head up
    kick save
    kill
    lacebite
    Lady Byng
    lane(s)
    laser
    last change
    light the lamp
    lines
    linesman
    lit up
    lone break
    loose change
    Lord Stanley
    lost an edge
    lost the handle
    lumber
    major
    man advantage
    mask
    melon
    mesh
    metallurgy
    minor
    misconduct
    moorings
    move
    move your feet!
    mucker
    mullet
    natty
    natural hat trick
    net
    net front presence
    north-south
    neutral zone trap
    noggin
    numbers
    nut cup
    odd-man rush
    offsides
    off wing
    one-on-one
    one-on-one battles
    one-timer
    open net
    open wing
    paddle
    Patty Kaz
    penalty kill
    penalty shot
    perimeter
    period
    pinch(ing)
    play the body
    playmaker
    playoff beard
    plumber
    point(s)
    point blank
    pokecheck
    pond hockey
    post-to-post and in/out
    potted
    power play
    puck
    puckhound
    puck luck
    puck support
    pure hat trick
    pylon
    race horse hockey
    radius
    redirect
    regroup
    release
    reverse
    right on
    ring it (around the boards/glass)
    rink rat
    rink-wide pass
    rocker
    rocket
    roofs it
    rub out
    rung the post/cross bar
    running around
    rush
    saucer pass
    scrap
    screen(ed)
    scrum
    “sees the ice”
    shadow(ing)
    sheet
    shelled
    shift
    shifty
    shinny
    shootout
    short-handed
    short side
    shorty
    shot
    shot right between the boobs
    shots on goal (SOG)
    shuffle
    sieve
    silky
    sin bin
    Situation Room (NHL)
    skate save
    slapper/slappah
    slash/slashing
    sloppy
    slot
    snap shot
    snipe/sniper
    snowman
    soft goal
    soft hands
    soft spots
    spin-o-rama
    square to the puck
    stack the pads
    stanchion
    standard
    staple(s)
    stay at home D
    stick
    stickhandling
    stick check
    stick side
    stick taps
    stoned
    stonewall/Stonewall Jackson
    “stood on her head”
    straddle (blue line)
    stretch pass
    stripes
    suck-hole
    sudden death
    support the puck
    sweater
    swing line
    Tacks
    take the gloves off
    tape-to-tape
    tender
    the dots
    the house
    they're gonna go (fight)
    three on two
    throw it on net
    thug
    tic-tac-tow
    tie up
    time and space
    tip
    top of the circle
    toe drag
    tongue out
    too many men
    top shelf
    tossed
    touch pass
    touch up
    tough guy
    traffic
    transition
    trap
    trip/tripping
    Tuuk
    twig
    twine
    twisted wrister
    200 feet
    two-hander
    two-on-one
    two-line pass
    umbrella
    undressed
    water bottle (goal)
    wheel(s)
    wickets
    wrap-around
    wrist shot
    wrister
    Zamboni
    zebras
    zone time
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Re: Off Season Topic: Hockey Terminology, 2016-17 Edition

onion bag (net)
    rhubarb
    stick work
    leather skater (although modern day skates have solved this visual tip off)
    lateral movement (as in one of Gretzky's greatest attributes)
    Lord Stanley's Mug
    leaking oil (as in "she's leaking oil"...one of the funniest play by play comments I've ever heard...women's hockey game, puck carrier on a clear breakaway but was out of gas, completely exhausted, and slowed considerably before she got to the net causing her to be overtaken by a defenceman, as I recall).
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 06-05-2016, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Many of you will remember the thread I started last year on terms, phrases and buzz words used in connection with the game of hockey. Well, I've been adding to that list ever since, while also deleting a few marginal ones, and so here is the latest "2016-17 Edition". I can't imagine there are any others still out there that are not on this latest edition, but if you can think of one or two that I've somehow still missed, feel free to chime in! Isn't hockey the greatest game ever?
      I do remember the original edition; good job. And agreed, greatest sport ever.

What follows isn't necessarily a suggested addition; it's more of a question. But here goes. A while back I heard a broadcaster extend the term "five hole" to cover a shot entering under a goalie's armpit. My memory isn't 100% clear, but I believe he called it the "seven hole." My understanding has always been that five hole is a bowling analogy, referring to the five pin. So by extension, an "armpit goal" is analogous to hitting the seven pin in bowling.

It is very much the same idea. Five hole space is created when a goalie kicks out a leg to take away the space just inside the post. Seven hole space is created when a goalie raises the arm to take away an upper corner.

Anyhow, the question(s): Are others familiar with term seven hole? Do you use it? Or is this just one broadcaster's attempt at creativity that never caught on? In other words, a marginal term that doesn't really belong on the list?

Footnote: This is a fresh on my mind because in Saturday's Stanley Cup game, Ward's goal appeared to fit the definition. On a different play, it looked like Marleau attempted to hit the same spot. But I don't recall any of the NBCSN guys describing those shots as tries to hit the seven hole. Nor did they use any other special term. Hence the question.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
        I do remember the original edition; good job. And agreed, greatest sport ever.

What follows isn't necessarily a suggested addition; it's more of a question. But here goes. A while back I heard a broadcaster extend the term "five hole" to cover a shot entering under a goalie's armpit. My memory isn't 100% clear, but I believe he called it the "seven hole." My understanding has always been that five hole is a bowling analogy, referring to the five pin. So by extension, an "armpit goal" is analogous to hitting the seven pin in bowling.

It is very much the same idea. Five hole space is created when a goalie kicks out a leg to take away the space just inside the post. Seven hole space is created when a goalie raises the arm to take away an upper corner.

Anyhow, the question(s): Are others familiar with term seven hole? Do you use it? Or is this just one broadcaster's attempt at creativity that never caught on? In other words, a marginal term that doesn't really belong on the list?

Footnote: This is a fresh on my mind because in Saturday's Stanley Cup game, Ward's goal appeared to fit the definition. On a different play, it looked like Marleau attempted to hit the same spot. But I don't recall any of the NBCSN guys describing those shots as tries to hit the seven hole. Nor did they use any other special term. Hence the question.
        One, two, three, four and five (holes) is old stuff. Seems to me 6 and 7 is fairly recent, depicting under the arm/between the arm and the body although I don't know which side each number identifies. (The five hole can be created a number of ways...even in the butterfly position when allowing the knees to drift apart a bit...but that's when the stick should be used to cover up, at least theoretically, but it's often easier said than done).

Judging by what I've seen in the last several years in the women's game, meaning the shooting, I doubt whether many players are even familiar with the concept of holes one through four although everyone seems to be aware of number five. (Wouldn't that have caused them to wonder why it's called the "five" hole and if there are any others that are designated by the four numbers that precede it?)

Comment

. . . Anyhow, the question(s): Are others familiar with term seven hole? Do you use it?
          We used to have a plywood sheet to cover the net that had holes cut at the corners, numbered counter-clockwise from the lower left (for the shooter, right for the goalie) 1-4 and a hole low in the middle labeled 5. Since that is about the time of the glaciers receding I assume the terminology is older than ice. I would assume 6 and 7 are modern inventions since I have never heard them used.

Comment

For clarity...holes 1,2,3 and 4 are not necessarily static although they may seem that way.

They are numbered in order of the highest chance of success to lowest chance of success from a shooter's point of view or, conversely, they are numbered in order of greatest to least degree of difficulty for the goaltender.

1 hole is low stick side.

2 hole is high stick side.

3 hole is high glove side.

4 hole is low glove side. (Which is often saved by sliding the blade of the stick into that position to deflect the puck).

The reason they may appear static is that most (almost all) goaltenders play from a left handed shot position...not because they are left handed, but because they are right handed and catch with their left hand as with a baseball glove. So, catching with the left hand automatically means that the stick is held with the right hand which is a "shoots left" orientation.

Facing a goaltender like Tony Esposito (only one I could think of) who played from a right handed shot position, holes 1 thru 4 would start at the bottom right as the shooter faces the goalie and would progress counter clockwise as opposed to starting at the bottom left and progressing clockwise when facing most (left handed shot) goaltenders.
            Last edited by Blackbeard; 06-05-2016, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post

4 hole is low glove side. (Which is often saved by sliding the blade of the .
              I've also seen the old plywood but ours always been clockwise from lower let as 1 shooters perspective.

Unless you have no plywood or goalie do you end up playing, pipe or two pipe. Meaning it is not a goal unless it goes in off the pipe or off of two pipes.

Comment

For clarity...holes 1,2,3 and 4 are not necessarily static although they may seem that way.

They are numbered in order of the highest chance of success to lowest chance of success from a shooter's point of view or, conversely, they are numbered in order of greatest to least degree of difficulty for the goaltender.

4 hole is low glove side. (Which is often saved by sliding the blade of the stick into that position to deflect the puck).

The reason they may appear static is that most (almost all) goaltenders play from a left handed shot position...not because they are left handed, but because they are right handed and catch with their left hand as with a baseball glove. So, catching with the left hand automatically means that the stick is held with the right hand which is a "shoots left" orientation.

Facing a goaltender like Tony Esposito (only one I could think of) who played from a right handed shot position, holes 1 thru 4 would start at the bottom right as the shooter faces the goalie and would progress counter clockwise as opposed to starting at the bottom left and progressing clockwise when facing most (left handed shot) goaltenders.
                That makes some sense I guess, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                  I've also seen the old plywood but ours always been clockwise from lower let as 1 shooters perspective.
                  Plywood or no plywood I was just giving the definitions of "1hole thru 4 hole" which, as I explained, are the same when facing all goaltenders but the physical placement of those definitions will change starting at bottom left or bottom right as you face the goalie depending on whether the goalie is a left or right shot.

"Your" plywood would be correct maybe 99% of the time because the vast majority of goaltenders are left shot oriented, which means that they are right handed which means they throw a ball with their right hand and catch with their left which means they naturally catch a puck with their left hand which means they hold their stick with their right hand which means the blade points to their left which we call a left handed shot...(because they're right handed).

Like a Grade 8 math teacher I had used to say..."it's screwy, but it's not".

Who's on first?

Comment

face wash – what Canadians do to opposing players after the whistle blows

clapper – probably came from the sound of the stick hitting the ice just before hitting the puck, or maybe if you have a good one, what the crowd does afterward

stud – which raises the question, what is the comparable term to a puck bunny?

Comment

One, two, three, four and five (holes) is old stuff. Seems to me 6 and 7 is fairly recent, depicting under the arm/between the arm and the body although I don't know which side each number identifies. (The five hole can be created a number of ways...even in the butterfly position when allowing the knees to drift apart a bit...but that's when the stick should be used to cover up, at least theoretically, but it's often easier said than done).
                      Appreciate all of the feedback.

I'd say you've established that holes 1-7 are legitimate terms, but that the bowling analogy is simply false. I'll buy it.

Judging by what I've seen in the last several years in the women's game, meaning the shooting, I doubt whether many players are even familiar with the concept of holes one through four although everyone seems to be aware of number five. (Wouldn't that have caused them to wonder why it's called the "five" hole and if there are any others that are designated by the four numbers that precede it?)
                      Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                      We used to have a plywood sheet to cover the net that had holes cut at the corners, numbered counter-clockwise from the lower left (for the shooter, right for the goalie) 1-4 and a hole low in the middle labeled 5. Since that is about the time of the glaciers receding I assume the terminology is older than ice. I would assume 6 and 7 are modern inventions since I have never heard them used.
                      We had the plywood. Ours was homemade; same holes, but no markings. I've also used a commercial product consisting of a heavy tarp, attached to the goal cage with bungee cords. The name of the product was "Shooter Tutor." Worked well enough. To the specific point, the Shooter Tutor had the same five holes you describe, but they weren't numbered in any way.

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                      ...Unless you have no plywood or goalie do you end up playing, pipe or two pipe. Meaning it is not a goal unless it goes in off the pipe or off of two pipes.
                      We also counted crossbar hits as goals. Basically Metal=Goal. Even a little tingle. But the half moons inside the goal didn't count as metal for scoring purposes. I presume the latter rule is more or less universal.

Comment

We also counted crossbar hits as goals. Basically Metal=Goal. Even a little tingle. But the half moons inside the goal didn't count as metal for scoring purposes. I presume the latter rule is more or less universal.
                        We would lay the net down on its face so the open bottom faced the back wall. In order to get a goal you had to bank the shot off the boards. We started out with the opening at the red line but as that got easier we would move the net closer to the boards.

Comment

Judging by what I've seen in the last several years in the women's game, meaning the shooting ...
                          I wonder if it is the result of single sport athletes and also the bajillion number of choices in sticks.

nearly everyone back in the day played baseball, and for most it was the sport they had played the longest and invested the most hours
                          there is nothing like baseball for learning eye hand co-ordination

but also back in the day there weren't all the choices with sticks, I can think of four high end players (IOW, ones that have won national awards ) that seem to be afflicted with Tom Pederson disease. For the unaware, a Gopher from 25 years ago that had a great shot, but was lucky to put it on net half the time.

maybe a stickologist, somebody more familar with modern sticks can weigh in on this

it would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between those that play golf, and which ones are sharp shooters, I can think of a couple. Softball just doesn't do as good a job IMO, bigger ball, slower speed, less hitting, it is a slower game , still a great sport, just not as good as baseball at teaching eye hand co-ordination. I can think of a Patty K winner who played baseball that was known for scoring a goal or two.
                          Last edited by pokechecker; 06-08-2016, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                            We would lay the net down on its face so the open bottom faced the back wall. In order to get a goal you had to bank the shot off the boards. We started out with the opening at the red line but as that got easier we would move the net closer to the boards.
                            Meaning, of course, the end line. Yeah, we used that as a variation from time-to-time.

Yet another variation is to place the crossbar on the end line in the same way, but to shoot at the half moons in the front. In this version, hitting any metal meant NO goal. So a puck shot flat on the ice would hit crossbar, meaning no tally. You had to hit nothing but net -- lifting the puck a little, but only a little -- to score. A good way to work on saucer passes, and actually a little tougher than it sounds.

Comment

Working...
                            X