Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Ohio State 2016-17 Thread: Let's give this another Schott

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    knowing the expectations of your football team and if they make the playoff this game should have been played a day earlier. Your putting the hockey team in a bad spot attendance wise. No football fan who is also a hockey fan is going to come to this game.
    OK, suppose we had gone with December 30th for the hockey game. That's a Friday, so you'd almost certainly be playing during the evening hours. This year that timeslot is a head-to-head conflict with the Orange Bowl. One of the Orange Bowl participants is Michigan. We were probably one fourth down failure away from getting that Orange Bowl assignment.

No one would argue that this year's Orange Bowl = Playoff Berth. But the Orange Bowl is still a big deal. And that conflict would have been head-to-head, had it transpired. In comparison to back-to-back Buckeye events on 12/31, I'd say the damage to the hockey gate would likely be about equal. In other words, most of the FB crowd would skip the hockey game in either scenario.

Again, I'm very sympathetic to those who travel from outside of Central Ohio to support the Buckeyes. You're appreciated, you're needed, you're awesome. And I totally get the 12/31 schedule, as it played out, sucks for you guys. But for those of us based in Columbus, it really doesn't need to be an insurmountable problem. I'll definitely be at the Schott for hockey, and afterwards I'll definitely be watching the FB game on TV.

Be all of that as it may, I'm not disagreeing with you very much. I'm just saying that if the hockey program wanted to eliminate the risk of a conflict with the bowl game, it needed to take the full New Year's Weekend off the table, not just New Year's Eve.

Comment

Scheduling an on-campus New Years eve game is stupid to start with because you know that most of the student body won't be on campus to begin with. I've always been against scheduling around football. College hockey should be played on Friday and Saturday nights. If football fans would rather watch there game on Saturday than so be it. That said, at Ohio State, in addition to the lack of students over break, you're just asking for empty seats by scheduling around New Years.
      Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
      University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

I just wanted to get on here and wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year! It's great to hang out here and talk college hockey 24/7/365 and I thoroughly appreciate the interactions with all my friends on here!

Comment

I was told the coaches did indeed want to move the game time Saturday back but was told no by the athletic department.
          I do not know what the reasons were for the athletic departments decision to keep the original scheduled game time. It's not like there will be many people there.
          Tanner Laczynski is doing well at the World Juniors scoring the first goal against Slovakia and an assist for the winning goal against Russia today!

Comment

Nice to see Tanner Laczynski doing well at World Juniors! Mrs. 86 and I have the NHL Channel and have been watching when the CBJ are not on. We will be at the game tomorrow. Miami is having a rough season (4-8-5 overall, 1-4-3-1 NCHC), so there is no excuse to somehow lose this game, regardless of how small the crowd is or how crappy the atmosphere is.

Comment

at least they are showing it for free on buckeye vision so i can watch

Comment

another year without beating Miami. Cant give up goals at the end of periods and cant take stupid penalties. On to next weekend and welcome Penn State.

Comment

I'm so sick of losing to this team. It's worse that their fans come up and completely take over our arena. I'd like to make the excuse that it's New Year's Eve and there's a football game, but their traveling fans are always louder than us even when those things aren't the case... Oh well. On to Penn State. We'll see if PSU is really as good as they've looked so far.

Comment

Looks like the the typical OSU second-half meltdown is in full swing. I'm sorry, but no excuse to lose to that team. Very disappointing performance coming out of a break. The Buckeyes were decent in the first period, but then let in a soft goal at the end of the period and it was all downhill after that. A hockey game is 60 minutes long, not the 20 that Ohio State played today. Guess the pundits who have been saying this team is overrated are spot on because a legit top ten whips a sub-.500 team on their home ice, not the other way around. That was a clown show out there today. Sorry, but like Buckeye22, I have gotten fed up with losing to this team, especially this season when they are not that good. It's going to get that much uglier next weekend when a legit top five Penn State comes in. Based on what I saw today, I look for Penn State to come in and sweep. That was pathetic today, just pathetic.

Comment

Pathetic certainly describes the third period. Game on the line, but outshot 14-1 and outscored 4-0. Ugh. Perhaps even worse, it proved to be a fitting appetizer for the Football team's Fiasco Bowl performance...

Attendance: A surprising silver lining was the attendance this afternoon. While the official number of almost 6,000 must have included no-shows, it actually was a respectable turnout. Driving to the arena, I was thinking 1,500 tops. Those physically present probably numbered 3 times that.

Why did things work out okay? Obviously the Redhawk fans are part of the equation. And the fact that it was a single game, rather than a two game series, also helped bump the number up for the one gameday.

But I also believe you have to take into families with young kids. For better or worse, they're an important part of the Buckeye Hockey fanbase. Starting at 4:00PM and finishing by 6:30 on a Holiday Saturday is family friendly, if nothing else.

Should another New Year's Eve game be scheduled? I'm still not a big fan. Don't like cutting out the OSU students on break; don't like the probable FB conflict. But it must be conceded that those of us who expected an attendance disaster were simply wrong.

Comment

It looked to me like half (if not more) of the people in the arena were Miami fans. If not, than it was real close. If that's what it takes to fill the place on New Year's Eve then I don't think it's worth it. I understand there are families out there who might prefer afternoon games, but I think it's important to remember that this is a college hockey team, and games should be scheduled as much as possible for the benefit of the students. When we have a home rivalry game and our student section can't even fill up one row that's a problem (most of the kids in the student section on saturday were Miami students home for break).

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                          Pathetic certainly describes the third period. Game on the line, but outshot 14-1 and outscored 4-0. Ugh. Perhaps even worse, it proved to be a fitting appetizer for the Football team's Fiasco Bowl performance...

Attendance: A surprising silver lining was the attendance this afternoon. While the official number of almost 6,000 must have included no-shows, it actually was a respectable turnout. Driving to the arena, I was thinking 1,500 tops. Those physically present probably numbered 3 times that.

Why did things work out okay? Obviously the Redhawk fans are part of the equation. And the fact that it was a single game, rather than a two game series, also helped bump the number up for the one gameday.

But I also believe you have to take into families with young kids. For better or worse, they're an important part of the Buckeye Hockey fanbase. Starting at 4:00PM and finishing by 6:30 on a Holiday Saturday is family friendly, if nothing else.

Should another New Year's Eve game be scheduled? I'm still not a big fan. Don't like cutting out the OSU students on break; don't like the probable FB conflict. But it must be conceded that those of us who expected an attendance disaster were simply wrong.
                          I know this is a college hockey forum, but thank God for the CBJ. Went to a watch party at the Winking Lizard on Bethel after the debacle in the Schott and watched the Jackets take care of business for #15 in a row. Salvaged my weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                            Looks like the the typical OSU second-half meltdown is in full swing. I'm sorry, but no excuse to lose to that team. Very disappointing performance coming out of a break. The Buckeyes were decent in the first period, but then let in a soft goal at the end of the period and it was all downhill after that. A hockey game is 60 minutes long, not the 20 that Ohio State played today. Guess the pundits who have been saying this team is overrated are spot on because a legit top ten whips a sub-.500 team on their home ice, not the other way around. That was a clown show out there today. Sorry, but like Buckeye22, I have gotten fed up with losing to this team, especially this season when they are not that good. It's going to get that much uglier next weekend when a legit top five Penn State comes in. Based on what I saw today, I look for Penn State to come in and sweep. That was pathetic today, just pathetic.
                            Im not sold on Penn State just yet looking forward to seeing them next weekend. They havent played anyone worth a **** outside of their barn and now this buckeye team has something to prove after yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                              When we have a home rivalry game and our student section can't even fill up one row that's a problem (most of the kids in the student section on saturday were Miami students home for break).
                              Don't you think it's also true that most of our students were home on break as well?

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                                Im not sold on Penn State just yet looking forward to seeing them next weekend. They havent played anyone worth a **** outside of their barn and now this buckeye team has something to prove after yesterday.
                                I hope you are right. Yesterday's inexcusable meltdown against a team that is not that good this season has me concerned about our chances next weekend. You may not be sold on Penn State, but they're a way better team than the one that came into our barn and smoked us yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X