Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Importance of Being Ernst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
    Alum Update: Harry Z has been called up by Nashville and Joins Nick Lappin in the NHL. Bobby Farnham and Garnet Hathaway have been designated Assistant Captain with their AHL teams, St. John and Stockton.
    I didn't watch, but my friend who is a Devils fan told me that Lappin has been impressive so far and played on the second line with Mike Cammalieri and Adam Henrique last night. That's pretty great!

Comment

• Re: Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Importance of Being Ernst

Anyone making the trip this weekend?

Comment

We scored a goal!!!!!

Comment

Anyone know why Tim Ernst hasn't played yet this year? He has my favorite pads in college hockey with the Brown Bear.
          Let's Go Union!!

Comment

• Originally posted by UnionFan View Post
            Anyone know why Tim Ernst hasn't played yet this year? He has my favorite pads in college hockey with the Brown Bear.
            His career save percentage is .903, so I think Whittet is looking for fresh options this year.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
              His career save percentage is .903, so I think Whittet is looking for fresh options this year.
              Which better than the 2 goalies he has played so far. Brown seems to have the talent but something is wrong ,think it is time for a new coach

Comment

After a depressing Friday night, I enjoyed a better Saturday night.

As to the RPI game, it was a game we could have won. RPI is not a very good team, weakest I have seen in many years. Brown outskated RPI, held off 7 power plays, but just could not finish. Opportunities but unable to capitalize on them until the end.

Overall I was impressed by the team overall speed, hustle and passing. The passing was much better than I saw in Brownb's first game at HC. Power play set up nicely on its three opportunities and good passing would have resulted in goals if we could finish. Nieto is solid. The first goal was the result of McArdle waiting a second before shooting and the delay lead to the puck hitting the RPI player who then had the breakaway. Second goal was off a screened Nieto when D did not clear out the front of the net; Brown just was not ready. D nonetheless was solid although it was difficult to tell as RPI has its troubles as well. However, Brown went 170 minutes without a goal. That says it all. No scoring and you obviously won't win even with the rest of the team's play very good.

As to the second game, in my opinion we outplayed Union. We had superior team speed and breakouts were great. Finally, the scoring drought ended. Clearly, after the first goal the team was was flying and playing with confidence. First U goal went off the skate of a dman, a pp goal, and Vecchione's goal was worthy of an ESPN shoutout. The next goal which was the killer came as a result of Union crashing the neck and Brown not able to clear. Nonetheless, it appeared to a lot of us that an interference call could have been called on U when he interfered with Gottlieb's clearing efforts.

The one clear takeaway is Brown now has its hockey legs, catching up with the rest of the ECAC. If Union is any indication, we can score. Top 2 lines are excellent - Brendan has done well in putting them together. But 3rd and 4th are not bad either. Frosh Beaudoin, Dodd, and Gessert are contributing and Beaudoin shows all-ECAC promise. Marchin had 3 good shots on goal and I think he is getting ready to breakout. Defense pairings still seem unsettled. After Gottlieb and MaArdle, other lines appear unsettled with Brendan playing different players and pairs. I thought Schoo was excellent at Union and deserves on that play more time. While he did not play Saturday, Maguire played well the two times I saw him - HC and RPI. He played well with Tegtmeyer at RPI. The one surprise was Brendan playing Wynne and Giuttari together at Union. Wynne hasn't played much over the years and Giuttari is a freshman; I would have thought Brendan would have gone with a more experienced duo against Union.

Overall, the weekend despite 2 losses was in my view a positive step forward. With Cornell and Colgate coming in next weekend, I can see Brown taking 4 points, and in December with Union and RPI coming a reversal of fortune.

Comment

We could get our first win next weekend. Cornell will inevitably try to slow us down by clogging the middle, blocking shots, and using its physicality to derail our fast and skilled (but predominantly smaller) forward corps. It worked last year: We were thoroughly the better team against them at Meehan, but they emerged with a 1-0 victory due to some strong defensive zone play and some stellar goaltending by Gillam. If we can cash in on our chances this time, we should be able to beat them.

I'm very optimistic for the Colgate game. They don't score very often and they allow lots of goals, so we should (emphasis on "should") be able to break through offensively clike we did against a far superior Union team, while potentially holding them to fewer scoring chances.

I watched the highlights of the Union game, and it looked as though we might have won if not for a few rookie mistakes made by Nieto. That's to be expected, and he shouldn't be punished for that. But it's encouraging to see us score some goals and the stats show that we had a slight possession edge (68 shot attempts to 57). We also slimly out-attempted RPI at even strength (47-41), so we certainly were not overwhelmed by either opponent the way we were against Providence.

I think this team could possibly develop into quite a decent one if the forwards continue to progress (Marchin badly needs a goal to get himself going), we find a combination on D that works and establish some consistency, and Nieto is allowed to grow into the starting job.

Comment

Cornell's goalie is very average, especially by Cornell standards. Cornell is a good team, but they lack the blue line and back excellence that they have enjoyed for most of the last decade+.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                      Cornell's goalie is very average, especially by Cornell standards. Cornell is a good team, but they lack the blue line and back excellence that they have enjoyed for most of the last decade+.
                      He's off to a rough start, but his save percentages in his sophomore and junior seasons were .927 and .926. I'd expect him to return to that caliber of play eventually (and probably sooner, rather than later). If their blue line is considerably weaker this year, as you say, he could continue to struggle, but Schafer's teams always seem to find their way on defense at least.

Comment

Really nice feature from the BDH on "BROWN'S ICE WIZARD: HEEEEEEEEERMAAAAAANOOOOOOO!"

Hermano is an awesome person who has always been gracious and welcoming to every member of the Brown hockey community. He used to let my brother and me hang out under the concourse near the Zamboni room when we were young. He still waves and smiles every game as he passes by. I'm happy to hear he received accolades from the university last year! Well-deserved for a really great guy who is passionate about Brown hockey.

Comment

That had to be the best period we've played all year. Shots were 10-1! More were deflected wide or blocked. We need to get more of a net presence if we're going to beat Finn, who's having a very good year but has had trouble controlling rebounds this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                            That had to be the best period we've played all year. Shots were 10-1! More were deflected wide or blocked. We need to get more of a net presence if we're going to beat Finn, who's having a very good year but has had trouble controlling rebounds this afternoon.
                            keep the comments coming!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                              keep the comments coming!!
                              Overall, a really well-played game by almost everyone on the team. Our first line was dominant in the offensive zone. The fourth line had a lot of possession and cycled the puck well, which was great to see. The defense was sensational for the first two periods: Colgate had a combined six shots! They obviously got more chances in the third, as they took 18 shots, but most of those were on power plays and with the goaltender pulled. Their only goals came at 6x3 and 6x4, so I'm not particularly worried about the fact that we conceded late.

Individual shoutouts:
                              -Awesome to see Connor Wynne get his first career goal! Nice snipe in off the post.
                              -Ernst was very solid. He didn't have to make too many outstanding saves, but he stopped every shot he should have, and that's awesome.
                              -Zack Giuttari was (in my opinion) the second-best player on the ice after Max Gottlieb. He showed poise well beyond his years, read the game well in all three zones, had some really sharp passes, and make great decisions throughout. I was so impressed with him today! Gottlieb, as I alluded to, was similarly excellent in all of those areas and made plays happen constantly.
                              -Tommy Marchin needs to get a goal to get his confidence up. You can tell he's one of the more talented players out there, but he just doesn't seem able to translate that onto the scoresheet yet. Certainly, it was going to be more difficult him without Nick Lappin to create plays, but I still expected him to produce and progress as a player. Hoping he doesn't turn out like Inhacak.
                              -Charlie Corcoran has been awesome the best few games. He has great chemistry with Willman.

All in all, a good day at Meehan! There are certainly improvements to be made, but I'm sure the guys are just happy to get a win under their belts.

Next weekend will be really tough up in the north country.

Comment

Should add: I thought Nolan Aibel was great today, too. He was all over the ice, constantly looking to generate chances and doing well to keep possession in the offensive zone. He took a couple penalties, but that doesn't offset his performance otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X