Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University off-season thread (preparing for 16/17).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University off-season thread (preparing for 16/17).

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    I was thinking about that one but I'm not sure gut-wrenching is accurate to describe it. It kind of became comical after a while. It was pretty obvious they didn't have it early on, so at that point, it was just a sucky loss.
    LOL I found nothing comical about it at the time. Also surprised no one has corrected me. It was the national title game in 1994, not semi.

Comment

Is Matt Nieto hurt or is he a healthy scratch?

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
        Good summer time fun! Rank the most gut wrenching losses in BU hockey history. I'll go.

1) 2015 NC game
        2) 1991 NC game
        3) 1997 NC game (because getting past Michigan was so epic. To not finish the deal... *sigh*)
        4) 2009 NC game
        5) 2006 Regional Semi vs BC
        6) 1990 National Semi Final vs Colgate
        Great choices, Bomber. Since I’m a bit longer in the tooth, I’ll add two from the '70s.

1974 NCAA semi loss to Minnesota. Parker’s first season. BU trailed 4-2 in the third but Rick Meagher scored twice, one on an end-to-end rush, to tie it at four. BU, with a power player in the final minutes, looked poised to win. But a puck skipped over Vic Stanfield’s stick at the point and Mike Polich broke in and beat All-American Eddie Walsh.

1976--Another NCAA semi loss to Minny. BU was 25-3 after a third straight ECAC title and might’ve been ranked #1 (CDRAL? buoldtimer?). Minnesota’s anti-Canadian taunts, instigated by Brooks, led to a brawl and the ejection of 30-goal scorer Terry Meagher. Minny won 4-2 and the BU-UM antipathy continued into the early days of the Miracle on Ice team. After the game, Parker said ““Herb Brooks is known as Herb Bush in the WCHA and now I know why.”
        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
          Great choices, Bomber. Since I’m a bit longer in the tooth, I’ll add two from the '70s.

1974 NCAA semi loss to Minnesota.
          Absolutely....#1 for me because I was a sophomore and it was my first NCAA experience (in person - watched on TV when they beat Cornell). And Polich's shot was from just inside the blue line...looked like Walsh perhaps "should have" had it.

#2 - 2006 Regionals in Worcester, because we were taunted by a couple of BC fans to the point where we had to call security. A completely miserable experience...wish I never left my house.

#3 - A little surprised nobody has mentioned the 2000 Regionals in Albany - the ridiculous 3-2 4OT loss against St. Lawrence when DiPietro made 77 saves. Made worse because of the long drive home and the fact that we were so drained we couldn't even stay for the 2nd game (which I believe was Maine/Michigan).

#4 - 2015 NC Game...only because of the way they lost it.

#5 - Another Worcester game - 2005 Regionals when North Dakota just smoked us 4-0. Disappointing because we were never in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            Glad to see!
            I hope you recover by Monday...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              I hope you recover by Monday...
              Already worried about sully naming flower to start game 1

He is gonna blow it again
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Hopping into the Wayback Machine, here are a few brutal losses, in no particular sequence.

1. March 1971 ECAC Semifinals - A 4-1 loss to Harvard that appeared to have ended the season. However, a win over Cornell in consolation game the next night sent BU to NCAAs. BU PP had clipped along at 40 % that season, but the sly Cooney Weiland instructs his team to stay out of the box, and they adhered to his command.

2. March 1978 - ECAC Semifinals - Having lost once all season, BU is thumped by PC. Again, BU's season is saved by a win in conso, which setup a playin game to NCAAs vs PC in Providence.

3. March 1984 - NCAA Quarterfinals - BU plays Jerry York's Bowling Green in a 2 game total goals series at WBA. BU takes a 3 goal lead into second and scores first goal of second game, as I remember before BG takes command. Key sequence - During BG comeback, BU is 2 men down, but a fortuitous bounce of the puck gives d-man TJ Connolly a clean breakaway. A goal there ends the BG comeback, but he was denied, and a few seconds later BG scores again. This may have been the worst loss I can recall in my 48 years of following BU hockey.
                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                  3. March 1984 - NCAA Quarterfinals - BU plays Jerry York's Bowling Green in a 2 game total goals series at WBA. BU takes a 3 goal lead into second and scores first goal of second game, as I remember before BG takes command. Key sequence - During BG comeback, BU is 2 men down, but a fortuitous bounce of the puck gives d-man TJ Connolly a clean breakaway. A goal there ends the BG comeback, but he was denied, and a few seconds later BG scores again. This may have been the worst loss I can recall in my 48 years of following BU hockey.
                  I thought BG scored first and often to actually take the 2-game/total goals lead at 7-6 and BU scored to make it 4-1 tying it up at 7, the BG scored in OT to win? I could easily be misremembering.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    I thought BG scored first and often to actually take the 2-game/total goals lead at 7-6 and BU scored to make it 4-1 tying it up at 7, the BG scored in OT to win? I could easily be misremembering.
                    That's possible. My memory can be a little swampy these days. I'd need to see a box score, or rely upon Sean P. I'm pretty certain about the TJ breakaway though. Can you remember who scored the tying goal for BU? Also, I seem to remember that in OT, BU forward Tony Majkosak fielded a centering pass in front of the BG net, and tipped it wide. This may be the first reference to Majkosak on this site.
                    Last edited by buoldtimer; 05-27-2016, 11:40 AM.
                    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Really??
                      Haven't been around too long mook. Fall '09.

That being said, my disappointing losses are limited to
                      2015 NC
                      2013 HE 1-0 loss to Lowell
                      2013 Beanpot loss to Northeastern - only because O'Connor played the puck right to Rosen who played it to the stick of a Northeastern player (Roy) who put it right in the empty net with OC still behind the net.
                      2012 OT loss to BC 6 seconds left in OT

Not too exciting I know
                      Last edited by Rhett Hot; 05-27-2016, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
                        Haven't been around too long mook. Fall '09.

That being said, my disappointing losses are limited to
                        2015 NC
                        2013 HE 1-0 loss to Lowell
                        2013(?) Beanpot loss to Northeastern - only because Maguire played the puck right to the stick of a Northeastern player who put it right in the empty net with Maguire still behind the net.
                        2010 OT loss to BC 6 seconds left in OT

Not too exciting I know
                        Didn't Maguire receive some assistance from Ben Rosen on that goal?

Comment

Tape-2-tape pass from Rosen onto the stick of the NU goal scorer. A total *** moment.

My "Hat Trick of Heartbreak" are:

1) 1998 Regional vs. UNH. Crushing b/c it was the 1st time for me that BU didn't make a FF since I started following the program. Not to mention where the FF was played that year and which other local team made it. It also marked the end of that era of sustained excellence and was Drury's last game as a Terrier.

2) 2015 NC game. I still insist that if BU scored early in the 3rd and made it a 4-2 game, they win that game convincingly. The moment got too big for them IMO.

3) 2006 Regional vs. BC. It wasn't that they lost, but how they lost. The 1st goal --> snowball effect & lost composure.

Honorable mention:
                          * 2013 HE title game. The emotions felt when it hit me that this was it for JP.

Comment

Yes, I remember now.
                            Also, it was O'Connor, not Maguire

Comment

2013(?) Beanpot loss to Northeastern - only because Maguire played the puck right to the stick of a Northeastern player who put it right in the empty net with Maguire still behind the net.
                              I totally do not remember this.

2010 OT loss to BC 6 seconds left in OT
                              I totally remember this. I was watching the clock wind down and remember thinking "That's obviously what the team was doing, too." Sigh.

While I'm all for walking down memory lane, this bunch of posts is making me a little depressed. Thanks Bomber.

Comment

Already worried about sully naming flower to start game 1

He is gonna blow it again
                                Is this just a feeling or do you have a credible source?

Comment

Working...
                                X