• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optical Illusions I: You never get a second chance at a first impression

A very nice one to get us started.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Re: Optical Illusions I: You never get a second chance at a first impression

This picture doesn't show up well enough on screen. In the original, you really could read the letters "S E X" airbrushed into the highlights in the curls of her hair below her chin and above her, um, pendant.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

One of my favorites.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic....erts-go-blind/
      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
        Daniel Kahneman, in Thinking Fast and Slow, recounts an even more amazing example. (actually, now that I look it up...) he cites a book by Chabris and Simons called The Invisible Gorilla. As described by Kahneman:

[in] a short film of two teams passing basketballs, one team [is] wearing white shirts, the other wearing black. The viewers of the film are instructed to count the number of passes made by the white team [only]. This task is difficult and completely absorbing. Halfway through the video, a woman wearing a gorilla suit appears, crosses the court, thumps her chest, and moves on. The gorilla is in view for 9 seconds. Many thousands of people have seen the video and about half of them do not notice anything unusual.
        [more description and commentary]
        The gorilla study illustrates two important facts about our minds: we can be blind to the obvious, and we also are blind to our blindness.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

National Geo's version.
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            Daniel Kahneman, in Thinking Fast and Slow, recounts an even more amazing example. (actually, now that I look it up...) he cites a book by Chabris and Simons called The Invisible Gorilla. As described by Kahneman:
            That is probably one of the best ones in history. I remember watching that in an undergrad class for the first time and it changed the way I look at the world. The radiology example is a homage to that.
            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Working...
            X