Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Originally posted by Great Day for Hockey View Post
    So now that it's official, any guesses as to who will be on the bench with Mel next year?
    George Sipple tweeted that Bill Muckalt will be in one of two places next season, Head Coach at MTU or Assistant Coach at Michigan. I kinda find that hard to believe because I'm not sure being an assistant at Michigan is a step up from HC in USHL, especially when the guy has NHL aspirations, but who knows.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Great Day for Hockey View Post
      So now that it's official, any guesses as to who will be on the bench with Mel next year?
      John Madden was brought up, and there's also the current group- Wiesman and Powers- Billy worked with Mel from the get go..

Quite a few choices. But I bet it will be someone from here.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        I'm convinced that Mel left because of his relationship with Red and Warde, not necessarily Michigan. I'm sure it was very difficult for him to say no to his mentor when asked to be the person to succeed him.
        You don't give enough credit to us fans who are so wonderful...

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Not apologizing for anything, its not like you were saying something that most didn't think would happen. That and I won't apologize to an arrogant little *****.
          Oh I'm arrogant now simply because I knew something for a fact? I'm arrogant because I know that there isn't anything in da'UP? I'm arrogant because Mel kept his house in Saline for 6 YEARS? No, you and your Techie-buddies are just envious because no-one cares about you.
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
            Oh I'm arrogant now simply because I knew something for a fact? I'm arrogant because I know that there isn't anything in da'UP? I'm arrogant because Mel kept his house in Saline for 6 YEARS? No, you and your Techie-buddies are just envious because no-one cares about you.
            Some of that just makes you stupid. So you know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Great Day for Hockey View Post
              I have heard nothing but speculation is that Billy & Brian will be back. I have no idea if it will come true though. I think 1 of the 2 will be back for continuity but no clue as to who. Billy was here when Mel was before so that may or may not be a good thing. Didn't Brian play under Mel back-in-the-day? That could also go either way. I guess the question is will Mel want to put his own stamp on the program right away?
              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Oh I'm arrogant now simply because I knew something for a fact?
                I erased about 10 different replies to this. I will say this, people are treating you like you treat them. If you knew something before hand, you would have been in a position where you wouldn't have to shout it from the highest mountain. Every 15 minutes. In all caps.

Your attitude and the way that you address people makes you arrogant.
                Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

I have heard nothing but speculation is that Billy & Brian will be back. I have no idea if it will come true though. I think 1 of the 2 will be back for continuity but no clue as to who. Billy was here when Mel was before so that may or may not be a good thing. Didn't Brian play under Mel back-in-the-day? That could also go either way. I guess the question is will Mel want to put his own stamp on the program right away?
                  No thanks to both. Maybe Wiseman or Powers can go take the Tech job.

Bring in Muckalt and Madden. If I had to guess which of the two current ones stay on with the reported Muckalt (Freep), I would say Wiseman.

But for the love of God, keep him away from the decision-making for at least 7 years when it comes to on-ice. He was basically coaching the team these last three seasons. Anyone who watched the bench during a game knew this.
                  ---
                  National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                  Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                  19 Conference Championships
                  10 Conference Tournament Championships
                  2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    Some of that just makes you stupid. So you know.
                    Hey, I was actually on their side for most of the 6 years. I even heard Cole was coming here until "something" happened. Only recently after I was told that Cole was out and Mel was in did I say the Mel thing. I've always known that he still had his house here but I didn't think he'd come back until I heard that he was. I answered their questions why Mel would leave Tech for Michigan, it's not my fault that they don't like reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                      No thanks to both. Maybe Wiseman or Powers can go take the Tech job.

Bring in Muckalt and Madden. If I had to guess which of the two current ones stay on with the reported Muckalt (Freep), I would say Wiseman.

But for the love of God, keep him away from the decision-making for at least 7 years when it comes to on-ice. He was basically coaching the team these last three seasons. Anyone who watched the bench during a game knew this.
                      Yea Wiseman seemed to be doing most of the in-game coaching but who knows? Regardless of who the assistants are I'm fairly certain Mel will take control of in-game stuff.

Comment

Hey, I was actually on their side for most of the 6 years. I even heard Cole was coming here until "something" happened. Only recently after I was told that Cole was out and Mel was in did I say the Mel thing. I've always known that he still had his house here but I didn't think he'd come back until I heard that he was. I answered their questions why Mel would leave Tech for Michigan, it's not my fault that they don't like reality.
                        That's fine.

But there's no reason to insult people from the UP. Or the UP in general.

There was a big chunk of this thread that was totally about that. And you replied in it- so it's not as if it's some kind of shock to you that people don't like that. Much of what you call "reality" only applies to you.

Again, I'm far from the only Michigan fan who has pointed that out.

Comment

You were saying Cole was happening weeks before Red even decided. From everything I've read, Red was truly undecided prior to that post-Frozen Four meeting.
                          ---
                          Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                          2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Friends, it feels so good.

I can already see Michigan winning the B1G Tournament at Yost next season in front of a jam-packed Yost.

It just feels good to be feeling good about the Hockey program for the first time in awhile. Even in 2015-16 when the wins were coming, it didn't feel quite right because of how horrible the defense still was. It became evident those wins were coming by outscoring mistakes in the North Dakota game when the shots were like 30-5.
                            ---
                            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Well, Mel is going to love the Hughes brothers, Michigan is going to be scary good here soon, the B1G coaching changes have really benefited that conference big time. I'm excited to see Michigan come out east to take on Clarkson, any Michigan fans making the trip? You think Houghton is in the middle of nowhere? Come on up to Potsdam and you'll know where the middle of nowhere is haha, best of luck to Michigan and to Mel.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                                Yea Wiseman seemed to be doing most of the in-game coaching but who knows? Regardless of who the assistants are I'm fairly certain Mel will take control of in-game stuff.
                                Does that come from all the times you've watched him manage a bench or all the times you've talked to him about bench management.
                                Last edited by davyd83; 04-24-2017, 12:08 PM.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X