Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
    Football: 3 way tie for 4th overall. Basketball 5th. Hockey 5th. Original Blimpy Burger gone. Why would anyone want to go to Ann Arbor? Kid Rock sang, "It ain't bragging m*********** if you can back it up." You can't back it up. You'll never need to wonder why there are so many Michigan haters out there.
    Quoting white trash music like kid rock.

Nice. Also, Basketball went 2-0 against the B1G regular season champion and won the B1G Tournament.
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      I would expect Michigan to be better next year than they were this year. It was a one year decline IMO. always gonna get talent.
      then you have not been following this program that long. It hasn't been great for about a decade outside of Shawn Hunwick.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine318 View Post
        then you have not been following this program that long. It hasn't been great for about a decade outside of Shawn Hunwick.
        10 year anniversary of the 2nd best Michigan Hockey team in history is coming up.
        ---
        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
          10 year anniversary of the 2nd best Michigan Hockey team in history is coming up.
          No. They're in line behind the '93-94, '95-96 and '96-97 teams, at least.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverine318 View Post
            Not sure what you mean. This was a historically bad michigan team. Do you think they will be worse next year?

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
              Keep living in denial. It's warmer there than Houghton.

How is anything that I said Trump stuff? Oh, and pretty sure that Houghton County voted for Trump. Washtenaw County went to Hillary, I'm not a Hillary fan but she is magnitudes better than Mr. Reality TV...

You're not even in our division except in hockey. Go away lil'boy....

Hmm. Well i have to admit as a Tech grad and engineering manager, that the UM engineers on my team are really not too bad at all. They require a little more hand holding than my Huskies (and Badger) but they do ok.

Comment

Brian Wiseman and Billy Powers are candidates according to John U. Bacon.

No thanks. If they were the answer, things wouldn't have gone downhill the moment Mel left.
                ---
                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Not knowing much about your non-Pearson options, what alumni coaches are out there for you guys to look into?

I know Mike Knuble, Bill Muckalt, and John Madden are coaching to varying extents, with Muckalt and Madden having HC experience.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    Not knowing much about your non-Pearson options, what alumni coaches are out there for you guys to look into?

I know Mike Knuble, Bill Muckalt, and John Madden are coaching to varying extents, with Muckalt and Madden having HC experience.
                    That's a longer list of possible alumni than any I've seen. Muckalt seems to have some advantage over Knuble or Madden, seems like.

Comment

Only if you look at W-L's.

People keep downplaying the idea of all the guys in the NHL that have played at Yost in the last 5 years. Other than the problem that they could not get it done here, they were clearly some great talent. Again, 5 players in the NHL as the season ended could have still been on this team. This isn't an issue that should be overlooked, IMHO.

If Red really had a fault- it was how to deal with the very talented players he had. 2007's team was had a LOT of talent on them, but it was 2008's team with huge departures that made it to the frozen four. And Hunwick was a walk on.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Only if you look at W-L's.

People keep downplaying the idea of all the guys in the NHL that have played at Yost in the last 5 years. Other than the problem that they could not get it done here, they were clearly some great talent. Again, 5 players in the NHL as the season ended could have still been on this team. This isn't an issue that should be overlooked, IMHO.

If Red really had a fault- it was how to deal with the very talented players he had. 2007's team was had a LOT of talent on them, but it was 2008's team with huge departures that made it to the frozen four. And Hunwick was a walk on.
                        Or Corsi stats. There has been pretty dramatic decline over the past decade in offensive efficiency with just last year as an outlier.

I agree there is talent here. Where I disagree, is how well that talent is being developed. I also believe a younger and more energetic coach will relate to players better and keep them more in-tow; reducing both off-the-ice issues (which have been increasing over the past few seasons) and recruiting his current roster to return to complete their committments to the program. Red has done a pretty **** poor job of convincing his more talented athletes to remain in the program. There have also been a decrease in development over the years where some players have actually gotten worst in their development as athletes. Freshmen should not regularly leading in points and goals.
                        Last edited by wolverine318; 04-11-2017, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          If you're thinking the D-3 route, the first call is to Coghlin at SNC.
                          Another great candidate if he's looking to leave D-III.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Or Corsi stats. There has been pretty dramatic decline over the past decade in offensive efficiency with just last year as an outlier.

I agree there is talent here. Where I disagree, is how well that talent is being developed. I also believe a younger and more energetic coach will relate to players better and keep them more in-tow; reducing both off-the-ice issues (which have been increasing over the past few seasons) and recruiting his current roster to return to complete their committments to the program. Red has done a pretty **** poor job of convincing his more talented athletes to remain in the program. There have also been a decrease in development over the years where some players have actually gotten worst in their development as athletes. Freshmen should not regularly leading in points and goals.
                            So by disagreeing, you are agreeing with my point that Red's major fault was how to deal with talent.

Thing is- we knew that a LONG time ago. Like with TJ Hensick, and how he and Jack Johnson split up the team back in '06-07.

Or before that- how to keep Al Montoya interested in the net.

None of this is new, but prior teams were able to better deal with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              Another great candidate if he's looking to leave D-III.
                              Big "If".

His name was thrown around the Baseless Rumor Mill during the Wisconsin vacancy last year as well.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Mel Pearson is a terrible ice hockey coach and should by no means be considered by Michigan. Plus he's old as dirt and struggles with the English language.
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X