UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

OK Felger and 'dc - youze guys had your chance. We need to get a move on with the offseason thread!!

Anyway ... to be brief, it looks like Coach Umile will be entering the 2nd year of his 3 year reduced "lifetime" contract this season, and after a shockingly sparse 11 win season, the "March for 600" is still 29 wins short. Coach-in-waiting Mike Souza has yet to demonstrate his recruiting prowess for his alma mater, and some of us are still waiting for the other shoe to drop in terms of Coach Stewart's future with the program, having been bypassed for the top job a year ago. I still think the dynamics of the incumbent, his would-be successor, and the guy caught in the middle of it all remains one of the most fascinating scenarios as we await the rest of the master plan to unfold.

The team didn't botch their captaincy selection, yet there are still speculative rumblings about the curious absence of any alternate captain designations. The elephant in the room is Tyler Kelleher, the program's most prominent returning player NOT being part of the recognized leadership hierarchy. Only the second most curious decision surrounding the program since last year's botched decision on selecting a captain whose career had been marred by inconsistency and injuries, and (shockingly ) then spending most of his senior year underperforming, and then injured (yet again). Now, if UNH is subsequently going to give an "A" to the likes of Jamie Hill or some BU transfer kid to be named later ...

The would-be logjam in goal looks to have been postponed until the final season of the Umile regime, but perhaps the most compelling development since the end of the season seems to be the low-key jettisoning of borderline D-1 talents on (Furgele) and off (O'Neill) the current UNH roster. Is this the first emerging sign that Coach Souza is beginning to stamp his authority and/or vision onto the program he is eventually hoping to inherit two summers from now? If so - I'd feel a whole lot better if we saw promising new recruits materializing to fill the slots vacated by these guys (and Kalinowski).

And for those still swooning at the early departure of "Hobey for December" candidate Andrew Poturalski, who lit up the AHL for the grand total of 2G-3A-5 pts. (and a -2) in 16 games in Charlotte ... let's not forget "Pots" was instrumental in an 11 win season in Durham, and his getting punked in OT in Game 2 against powerful Merrimack blew UNH's last best chance to salvage something from an all-too-forgettable season. He was the major benefactor of a weak early schedule, and his thudding return to earth once the schedule got tougher spoke volumes. Hopefully his returning classmates and various underclassmen who will take the ice for UNH this coming season will rise to the challenge where their erstwhile former teammate came up sadly short. If not - I think their paths will cross again in the ECHL in a couple of years.

Direction - or lack thereof - seems to hover over almost every aspect of the UNH Hockey program at this point. Who is *really* in charge, and how much worse might things have to get this coming season to force BS35+4's hand to make an earlier-than-planned decision on the incumbent coach? Does the coach in waiting have to demonstrate some ability to recruit at the upper end of D-1 to warrant his appointment? Is the overlooked assistant still fully committed to his alma mater, or is one eye cast on other opportunities? Does the overlooking of arguably the most talented returning senior from the leadership hierarchy in effect alienate him as a positive force in the room? Which of the returning players or new recruits will step forward to provide rays of light of hope for the future of this clearly wayward program?

It will be interesting to see what next season's schedule looks like, and what that may hold for the "March to 600", which will clearly need to avoid last year's pot-holes and pick up the pace to become a reality. Does the UNH program have enough in the tank to eke out a pair of 15 win seasons to get there? Discuss ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Re: UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Ok! So we have a new thread started! And the title is mild compared to what I was expecting 😉 Seriously the question is surely valid which way are we headed after this past season. One thing is for sure the 'Cats have to find the mojo that was so sorely missing in the second half esp at the end. Don't wanna dwell on that and sure don't have any excuses either but that must change. I have seen the term "unfinished business" 'floating around and maybe we have some internal motivation brewing. (And I doubt it centers around the number 600)

As for Pots yeah doubt there's anyone who wouldn't have wanted to see him return. And his second half #s are what they are but that being said think the 'Canes certainly see his talent. He will have this summer at camp to prove himself so we'll see. Chuck if he had mega numbers in his most recent AHL stint would you be ok about his departure? Hes certainly not the only one who had a let down the second half and while the schedule was tougher that's no excuse the team has to play better.

Personally I too like many of you are anxious to see what's next for MS and Stewie recruiting wise. I get a feeling it's not over yet and we could be very surprised. Hey the 'Cats are due for something good no better time than the present! There's lots of good stuff in this lineup but they've got their work cut out. Excited that we will have both gks vying for that position and hoping they stay healthy. Robinson...is he a no go til '17?

So the battle cry is "unfinished business" as far as I'm concerned...Oct is just around the corner!!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Hey HR - can it truly be "unfinished business" when last year's team really never even got its "business" started?

Programs who just missed out - like Quinnipiac or Lowell - they can rightly own the "unfinished business" thing.

That was arguably us (UNH/Umile) about a decade or so ago. No longer, my friend. That ship has sadly sailed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Hey HR - can it truly be "unfinished business" when last year's team really never even got its "business" started?

Programs who just missed out - like Quinnipiac or Lowell - they can rightly own the "unfinished business" thing.

That was arguably us (UNH/Umile) about a decade or so ago. No longer, my friend. That ship has sadly sailed.
        Well, the Cats showed AIC and Bentley their business last fall, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Well, the Cats showed AIC and Bentley their business last fall, no?
          Dang straight they did!! Nice job getting the Falcons in there well played sir...well unfinished or not we have no where to go but up!! But I get it...how's about just get it started...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Dang straight they did!! Nice job getting the Falcons in there well played sir...well unfinished or not we have no where to go but up!! But I get it...how's about just get it started...
            Actually ... "nowhere to go but up"might have been a better fit here, HR!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Actually ... "nowhere to go but up"might have been a better fit here, HR!
              Well that's how I look at it quite honestly...but I think the latter sounds better At any rate..they were not happy with this past season soooo.....
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Hearing rumors about UNH playing in the "Frozen Fenway". Having never gone to an outdoor event like this, I hear it's not worth it...Players love it, but the fan experience is meh...If we go to MSG to play Cornell now that would be something I'd travel for...(weekend of Thanksgiving?) What's been your outdoor hockey experience? (looking for something to talk about haha)
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Hearing rumors about UNH playing in the "Frozen Fenway". Having never gone to an outdoor event like this, I hear it's not worth it...Players love it, but the fan experience is meh...If we go to MSG to play Cornell now that would be something I'd travel for...(weekend of Thanksgiving?) What's been your outdoor hockey experience? (looking for something to talk about haha)
                  I am a winter outdoor enthusiast (skiing, mountaineering, ice climbing, etc), but I found my one HEA Frozen Fenway experience quite uncomfortable. Fortunately, the friend who attended with me is a Sox STH, so we had access to the Right Field sky box enclosure (I forget its name), where we spent a lot of time watching the games on TV while quaffing Wachusetts Monster IPA. We had ostensibly great seats behind the Sox dugout, but the sight lines were abominable, even several rows up. Never again for me.

Comment

I am a winter outdoor enthusiast (skiing, mountaineering, ice climbing, etc), but I found my one HEA Frozen Fenway experience quite uncomfortable. Fortunately, the friend who attended with me is a Sox STH, so we had access to the Right Field sky box enclosure (I forget its name), where we spent a lot of time watching the games on TV while quaffing Wachusetts Monster IPA. We had ostensibly great seats behind the Sox dugout, but the sight lines were abominable, even several rows up. Never again for me.
                    yeah I've heard that too even from die hard fans that they would not do it again. I wonder why this still comes up; do most fans find it a novel thing to do? Is it that big of a money maker? Sounds like you had ideal conditions there!!! (even I'd drink IPA in those conditions ha!) Like I said; I'd drive 5 hrs to see them play in MSG before I'd freeze at Fenway Without looking at the schedule I'm trying to remember who we played last year at Thanksgiving; know we went to RPI the Tuesday before but the Sat game escapes me. Oh well...maybe find out eventually if and when, the schedule is released...
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Never again. We had sweet, for a baseball game, box seats. Could not see the hockey. We wandered around and an usher took pity on us, let us sit at the high top tables in right field. We could see the rink, but from a great distance. Pretty much ended up watching the video board. You know, the one with the same feed as the HD TV in my living room. Fortunately it was 50+ degrees because the roof top wind chill was significant. If I (((had)) to attend another Fenway hockey game I would try for pavilion box/club or green monster seats.

Fenway is also a crappy music venue. The sound echoes off the structure behind home plate. Arguably the world's best baseball park, Fenway just doesn't cut it for hockey or music unless you are looking for a primarily social experience.
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Like I said; I'd drive 5 hrs to see them play in MSG before I'd freeze at Fenway ..
                        "I would rather be stabbed in Lowell than a black bear in Maine"?

Comment

Without looking at the schedule I'm trying to remember who we played last year at Thanksgiving; know we went to RPI the Tuesday before but the Sat game escapes me. Oh well...maybe find out eventually if and when, the schedule is released...
                          Almost forgot, very clever on that dig, HR, but UNH was really lucky to win that Saturday night game. If UNH is in MSG over Thanksgiving, no doubt the Cats will be matched up against Army, and not Cornell.

Comment

Almost forgot, very clever on that dig, HR, but UNH was really lucky to win that Saturday night game. If UNH is in MSG over Thanksgiving, no doubt the Cats will be matched up against Army, and not Cornell.
                            Haha honest I did not know/remember who we played but now that you mention it.....�� Hey as far as I'm concerned you can talk about you know who all you want...��

EDIT: ps. And oh, yes, we were very fortunate to come out with that win...Max French Hobey candidate next season?
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-30-2016, 04:07 PM.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

So that's where the Army game comes in hmmmm...see sooner or later we will have the schedule all figured out without actually knowing it sweet 😏
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                              X