UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Almost forgot, very clever on that dig, HR, but UNH was really lucky to win that Saturday night game. If UNH is in MSG over Thanksgiving, no doubt the Cats will be matched up against Army, and not Cornell.
    UNH vs Army at MSG? Is this a fact? Cornell usually hosts a Thanksgiving weekend game and I thought I read here that Umile had mentioned a game vs Cornell there. Big disappointment if they played Army and my guess is it would be an undercard game. I went to the Bentley/Army and UConn/ND games in Brooklyn. Maybe a thousand people there.

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
      UNH vs Army at MSG? Is this a fact? Cornell usually hosts a Thanksgiving weekend game and I thought I read here that Umile had mentioned a game vs Cornell there. Big disappointment if they played Army and my guess is it would be an undercard game. I went to the Bentley/Army and UConn/ND games in Brooklyn. Maybe a thousand people there.
      Snively is pulling your leg. UNH is playing Cornell on the Saturday after Thanksgiving at MSG.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
        Snively is pulling your leg. UNH is playing Cornell on the Saturday after Thanksgiving at MSG.
        Yeah, I have no idea who we are playing OOC this season, but we will need to stretch to find some AHC pushovers again, if we want to see the HC notch 15 wins toward his 600 quest.

Comment

Yeah, I have no idea who we are playing OOC this season, but we will need to stretch to find some AHC pushovers again, if we want to see the HC notch 15 wins toward his 600 quest.
          You'll have RPI at home for one game. News report doesn't give a date, but something tells me it might be the Tuesday before Thanksgiving... http://www.troyrecord.com/sports/201...edule-released

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            You'll have RPI at home for one game. News report doesn't give a date, but something tells me it might be the Tuesday before Thanksgiving... http://www.troyrecord.com/sports/201...edule-released
            Ah yes, for the 'annual Pre-Thanksgiving Clunker' as some like to say! Hopefully this year will be different? Took a last minute (with a 3 hr travel window haha) trip out there. First time there; not a bad rink to visit. Trip is wild over the mountains as I recall...good time despite the loss. Believe Pots had a hattie in that one...
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 05-01-2016, 09:51 AM.
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Ah yes, for the 'annual Pre-Thanksgiving Clunker' as some like to say! Like last season...we drove out to Troy for that one. First time there; not a bad rink to visit. Trip is wild over the mountains as I recall... Maybe do it this year we'll see. Pots had a hattie in that one believe we lost 4-3? That's a lot of travelling to New York for the 'Cats that week (if it's true we do indeed go to MSG Saturday).
              RPI's going to you, so it isn't THAT much travel, at least. No idea what it is with NH teams, RPI, natural hat tricks, and losing... (Chase Polacek had a NHT vs. Dartmouth in either 09-10 or 10-11, and Dartmouth won that one 4-3)

Comment

RPI's going to you, so it isn't THAT much travel, at least. No idea what it is with NH teams, RPI, natural hat tricks, and losing... (Chase Polacek had a NHT vs. Dartmouth in either 09-10 or 10-11, and Dartmouth won that one 4-3)
                yea I had to re-read it duh...thanks fixed the post! I know...what IS IT with losing to RPI? Maybe this year we get lucky... Oh and the travel for me is cut down by 2 hrs!

Comment

Hearing rumors about UNH playing in the "Frozen Fenway". Having never gone to an outdoor event like this, I hear it's not worth it...Players love it, but the fan experience is meh...What's been your outdoor hockey experience? (looking for something to talk about haha)
                  A while back somebody (Chuck?) mentioned the curse of the jumbotron. As you all know I have nothing but disdain for that contraption which was supposed to help to bring us a national title. But I have even more disgust for the whole Frozen Fenway concept, and I would argue that the real curse is the "Curse of Frozen Fenway." Think about it. At the time that the athletic administration pimped out its hockey program UNH had earned home ice in the Hockey East playoffs for 15 consecutive seasons. Real home ice, legitimate home ice, not hosting in that phony baloney round the league has since added. Likewise, UNH had participated in the NCAA playoffs for ten consecutive seasons, and 14 of the previous 15. Both of those streaks ended the same season the team participated in the Fenway Farce. You what they say about karma. The program hasn't been the same since.

OK, so I'm being more than a bit sarcastic here. (I've learned you have to spell that out on this forum.)

Still there are some lessons to be learned. As would be the case with the jumbotron, Frozen Fenway was received with wild enthusiasm by the sycophants. Like lemmings they gobbled up all the tickets and flocked to America's most beloved ballpark, only to realize the experience wasn't all it was cracked up to be. More than anything else the whole Frozen Fenway fiasco reminds us of the fraudulent nature of much of the fanbase. For years any attempt to raise revenue at the Whittemore Center was treated with scorn and derision, yet those same voices were silent when it came to the blatant money grab on Lansdowne Street. All those who were so offended when a UNH-Maine regular season game was played in Manchester (you know, a place with a REAL hockey arena) were mute when such a contest was played at a baseball field in Janauary. (Though it was Maine that gave up a home contest rather than NH. Had it been the opposite who knows what might have happened, though I think the outcry would have been limited.)

Since HR asked about our winter hockey experiences I will share my Frozen Fenway memory. I watched the game in my living room (but not to worry Darius it wasn't all that great on TV either - horrid camera placement due to the venue.) My interest in the game was tepid - I was stunned at how so many alleged hockey fans could embrace such a farce. When the 'Cats lost the game in OT I remember I wasn't all that upset. In a weird sort of way I felt like the program had it coming to them for allowing itself to be exploited like that. I didn't think anything could could take the luster off the UNH-UMaine rivalry. But Frozen Fenway did. And in a way, it foreshadowed much of what was to come.
                  UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

So, if RPI is coming to town, along with CC's visit and our usual two neutral site games with UMO and annual game with Dartmouth, and Cornell at MSG, return visits to Clarkson and St Lawrence, that leaves six OOC slots open. So far, an upgrade in OOC opponents over last year?
                    Last edited by Snively65; 05-01-2016, 11:32 AM.

Comment

So, if RPI is coming to town, along with CC's visit and our usual two neutral site games with UMO and annual game with Dartmouth, and Cornell at MSG, return visits to Clarkson and St Lawrence, that leaves six OOC slots open. So far, an upgrade in OOC opponents over last year?
                      I believe we are only playing one neutral cite game with Maine at the Verizon or whatever it's going to be renamed...And Felger thanks for spelling out sarcasm as you know who is usually slow on the uptake I'm afraid!! Agree not spending my time or $$ doing the Fenway thing...now gotta convince my hubby that Sat night (or afternoon) in NYC is a good idea!

Comment

yea I had to re-read it duh...thanks fixed the post! I know...what IS IT with losing to RPI? Maybe this year we get lucky... Oh and the travel for me is cut down by 2 hrs!
                        We wouldn't mind you continuing that when we visit... been a while since that's happened.
                        Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 05-01-2016, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I believe we are only playing one neutral cite game with Maine at the Verizon or whatever it's going to be renamed...And Felger thanks for spelling out sarcasm as you know who is usually slow on the uptake I'm afraid!! Agree not spending my time or $$ doing the Fenway thing...now gotta convince my hubby that Sat night (or afternoon) in NYC is a good idea!
                          You can take Amtrak out of South Station in Boston right to the arena....ironically back when UNH-UMaine was a hot rivalry and the games meant something I always thought they should take the "third" HE game of the season on the road...always thought MSG would have been a great spot given how the fan bases traveled....not so much now....
                          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                            You can take Amtrak out of South Station in Boston right to the arena....ironically back when UNH-UMaine was a hot rivalry and the games meant something I always thought they should take the "third" HE game of the season on the road...always thought MSG would have been a great spot given how the fan bases traveled....not so much now....
                            Thanks for the tip!!! Will start checking into it...logistics, hotel...etc...but think it will be the trip for the season; not planning on my usual UVM jaunt..

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                              Any idea what time the last Amtrak train heads north from MSG on Saturday evenings, to save me looking it up? I would need only to get as far as New Haven. I like our chances against Cornell better than the other EZAC teams from New York.

Comment

Any idea what time the last Amtrak train heads north from MSG on Saturday evenings, to save me looking it up? I would need only to get as far as New Haven. I like our chances against Cornell better than the other EZAC teams from New York.
                                Can't ans the q but have been looking from Boston. Wonder when the game is? Not sure it's cost effective but the ease of getting there is surely worth the expense...could always drive down and then train it in from Ct. Lots of options!!

Comment

Working...
                                X