Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources: Arizona State Hockey Won’t Join Big Ten

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/0...QoSXml.twitter
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Re: Sources: Arizona State Hockey Won’t Join Big Ten

"So you're saying there's a chance." — WCHA commissioner Bill Robertson.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I really hope that ASU does not join the NCHC. I see nothing good from that. Odd number of teams, no real connection to the rest of the schools, no hockey building, no hockey history.

If the NCHC were the only option for ASU, then obviously for the good of the sport I'd vote to let them in. But we're not, so let them go elsewhere.

If this happens, the only person who will be happy will be my dad, who spends his winters in AZ.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        If this happens, the only person who will be happy will be my dad, who spends his winters in AZ.
        And me! Staying at my parents place for free. Sweet deal!
        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

WCHA makes the most sense for now until other Pac-12 members step up to the plate. The WCHA should also then bring Air Force in to make 12 teams.
          QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
          2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
          2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
          2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
          https://***********/QHockeyBlog
          https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
          https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
            WCHA makes the most sense for now until other Pac-12 members step up to the plate. The WCHA should also then bring Air Force in to make 12 teams.
            meh. no thanks, we'll leave all that extra travel to the nachos. they'll enjoy it.
            Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Good.

I hope they go to the Nacho. I don't know that the WCHA can handle the extra travel.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                Air Force wants to be with Army. If not with Army, Air Force belongs with Denver & CC. There's no logical reason whatsoever the have Air Force in the WCHA.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  There's no logical reason whatsoever the have Air Force in the WCHA.
                  Think about the low cost chartered flights they could provide the league. Granted, you have to jump out 2000' above the rink, but very low cost travel. Remember the WCHA is broke. We have to look at all cost saving measures that are possible.

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  I really hope that ASU does not join the NCHC. ...no hockey history.
                  If the NCHC were the only option for ASU, then obviously for the good of the sport I'd vote to let them in.
                  ASU - No hockey history? ASU would beg to differ and would look squarely at UNO already nestled firmly in the NCHC.
                  The second statement shall be stricken from the record as Denver and UND have no interest in doing anything for the good of the sport. You must be like minded so that opinion is not valid.
                  Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Oh the butthurt will just never end, will it? So amusing!
                    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Here are my two primary objections to ASU joining the NCHC.

First, they don't fit with our teams. There is no geographic connection. There is no sports connection. No common television package. Nothing. At each of the NCHC schools, hockey is the program or one of the most important programs at the school in terms of revenue, fan support, etc... Maybe only at Miami where football is popular is this not the case.

Hockey at ASU is going to be like girls field hockey. It'll make the sixth page of the campus paper, but that's it. ASU is a football school. It's a basketball school. It's a baseball school. Heck, volleyball and water polo are probably more popular at ASU than hockey ever will be.

ASU and the NCHC schools simply think about hockey and athletics in different ways.

Second, I haven't been that impressed with how they have gone about the formation of their program. Now, that doesn't mean they are doomed to failure. I just don't think they've gone about it in the same was as say Penn St., and as a consequence, we could see some problems down the line.

The article written by their coach that was floating around in the last couple of weeks is case in point.

He was called by a reporter and asked how much money it would take to start at Division 1 hockey program, and off the cuff he just threw out the figure $30 or 40 million. That's it. That's how much thought was put into it. No disrespect to Powers, but I don't think he really had any idea what it would cost to effectively start and maintain a hockey program. I would have liked to have seen a little more thought and planning put into it.

I hope they are successful. I just hope they do it somewhere else.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Good for the B1G. But if ASU struggles to find a home or that home is underwhelming for them, it could damper the honeymoon example of PSU for schools looking to add new programs.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          Good for the B1G. But if ASU struggles to find a home or that home is underwhelming for them, it could damper the honeymoon example of PSU for schools looking to add new programs.
                          Oddly enough, the B1G really is the best fit for ASU. Geographically it isn't great, but the B1G seems less concerned about geography all the time anyway.

But in terms of having athletic programs with a national brand, and where hockey will take a back seat to the biggies like football and basketball, ASU matches perfectly with the B1G. The B1G could also use an extra team right now to get to an even number.

My guess is that either the B1G was concerned about some of the same business aspects of ASU's program that I am, or they just couldn't make things work with respect to their respective conference affiliations and tv networks. Too bad, because it does seem like in the short term it would have been the best fit.

Comment

The issue with the Big Ten typically begins with academic standing and membership with the AAU. Notre Dame is the only exception to their admission requirement as an affiliate, but their relatively high undergrad ranking and academic reputation, as well as name brand was enough to pass the B1G litmus test. Although a potential PAC-12/Big Ten connection appeared to be an attractive speculation for BTN media revenue, apparently ASU was too much of an exception as an affiliate.

Comment

ASU most logically fits with the B1G conference. If the B1G doesn't want ASU at this time, I think it's more likely because of the arena issue rather than the affiliate issue referenced in the article.

Comment

Working...
                              X