Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sources: Arizona State Hockey Won’t Join Big Ten

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
    Kind of stunned. I thought ASU to the Big Ten was a done deal.

I'd put money on them going to the NCHC now, and the NCHC either taking Mankato or shedding one of their current Minnesota teams to the B1G. The lemmings of Delany that run the hockey league are still bent on getting an eighth team and placating Lucia and the folks in Minneapolis. SCSU to the B1G would probably do that.
    UMD or SCSU in the B1G seems even less likely than ASU going there.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
      Kind of stunned. I thought ASU to the Big Ten was a done deal.

I'd put money on them going to the NCHC now, and the NCHC either taking Mankato or shedding one of their current Minnesota teams to the B1G. The lemmings of Delany that run the hockey league are still bent on getting an eighth team and placating Lucia and the folks in Minneapolis. SCSU to the B1G would probably do that.
      The NCHC isn't going to shed either of its Minnesota teams. Both teams were strong all year, and both made it to the national tournament. That said, the B1G wouldn't take them and neither school would be interested in returning to a struggling WCHA. That means the conference will have to grow to 10 teams or struggle through an odd-numbered team schedule.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

If anybody were to join the Big 10, I would think Western Michigan or Miami would make the most sense. Both D1 schools, closest geographically to the center of the Big 10, neither have any rivalries they would be leaving behind in the NCHC (except for eachother? idk how the relationship between the two schools is); WMU would then get to share in-state rivalries with MSU and UM and likewise with Miami-OSU. Or maybe they pick up RIT or RMU
        It's all a mess though. As much as I'd love to pick up a team like MN State or Bemidji in the NCHC, it would leave the WCHA in another unfortunate situation then being the one with odd number teams. The B1G can lay in the nest it has created and although I don't desire ASU to the NCHC, I'm glad they turned the Big 10 down (for now...). Any chance that it was a power play from ASU holding out for more $$ from the Big 10 such as to kick start funding for an arena?
        Bet the Big Ten would love to get it's filthy hands on North Dakota although since UND and DU essentially formed then NCHC, I don't see that happening.
        Last edited by UMD21; 04-27-2016, 10:16 AM.
        I wanna go fast!

Comment

My dream, if the Big Ten has to stick around, is to add the MAC schools to get an even ten members, which creates a modified CCHA.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
            it would leave the WCHA in another unfortunate situation then being the one with odd number teams.
            The B1G and Hockey East will both have an odd number of teams in 2017-18.
            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

I'm also a bit shocked that ASU didn't go B1G...seemed like the best fit. To be frank, I don't see B1G taking any other existing D1 hockey programs. They'll wait for another B1G school to start a hockey program before they'll take a smaller program into the fold. I think Notre Dame was probably the only program in play that they would have considered.

I know we can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, but it would be better if the NCHC and WCHA adopted a more regional footprint. I realize it ain't gonna happen, but Western and Miami belong with BGSU and the Michigan schools, while Kato and Bemidji belong with the MN and western programs. The NCHC should be the "western" league and the WCHA should be the "central" league. I think the way out west schools could eventually have their own league as well...if college hockey keeps expanding.

To be frank, I think the NCHC really screwed this up and created the issue to a much larger extent that the B1G creation did. The problem was created by the clandestine way the NCHC planned their big break.....there was no coordination, discussion or thought for the future of the sport. Now, we're left with the mess they created and it will be difficult if not impossible to create a landscape that's balanced in any way...regionally or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                I'm also a bit shocked that ASU didn't go B1G...seemed like the best fit. To be frank, I don't see B1G taking any other existing D1 hockey programs. They'll wait for another B1G school to start a hockey program before they'll take a smaller program into the fold. I think Notre Dame was probably the only program in play that they would have considered.

I know we can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, but it would be better if the NCHC and WCHA adopted a more regional footprint. I realize it ain't gonna happen, but Western and Miami belong with BGSU and the Michigan schools, while Kato and Bemidji belong with the MN and western programs. The NCHC should be the "western" league and the WCHA should be the "central" league. I think the way out west schools could eventually have their own league as well...if college hockey keeps expanding.

To be frank, I think the NCHC really screwed this up and created the issue to a much larger extent that the B1G creation did. The problem was created by the clandestine way the NCHC planned their big break.....there was no coordination, discussion or thought for the future of the sport. Now, we're left with the mess they created and it will be difficult if not impossible to create a landscape that's balanced in any way...regionally or otherwise.
                DU and UND started the NCHC for the (not) expressed desired to dump UAA and, to a lesser extent MTU, from their schedules. Other schools on the margin were simply collateral damage. That was the thought, drop the teams from their conference that weren't going to make them money, woo the schools that are making money for DU and UND now (at that time) or expected to in the future. Miami was a strong school and could make for good series going forward, and WMU had a lot of potential too. Perennially strong series equates to better attendance and viewership via TV or streaming, and radio listeners. There's nothing mysterious about it. Once they lost two big moneymaking schools from the WCHA, they had to find a way to clot the expected hemorrhaging.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                  The problem was created by the clandestine way the NCHC planned their big break.....there was no coordination, discussion or thought for the future of the sport. Now, we're left with the mess they created and it will be difficult if not impossible to create a landscape that's balanced in any way...regionally or otherwise.
                  This is a statement that I find just silly. But don't feel bad, you're not the only person here who has posted something similar.

It is this outrage over the "clandestine" way in which DU and UND acted, and how that somehow "created" the problems.

What would have happened if, after the B1G announces they are forming, DU and UND announced they were thinking of forming a new conference on their own with some yet to be named teams? You think all the remaining teams in the CCHA and WCHA would have said, "yeah, let's get together and put together two new conferences?"

B.S.

There would have been screaming. Lawsuits would have been threatened. It would have been chaos. Impossible to get anything productive accomplished.

I find it funny that everyone seems to think its ok for the B1G schools to choose who they want to be in a conference with, it's ok for Michigan and MSU and Notre Dame and Tech and NMU to decide, multiple times, they no longer want to be associated with one group of teams but want to be associated with another group of teams, its ok for a bunch of teams in the old ECAC to decide they wanted to form another new conference entirely and name it Hockey East, but somehow DU and UND screwed up the entirety of college hockey.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Oh man, some of the absurd ideas being thrown out here...

Let's just start by saying that some of you remind me of that Star Wars filibuster from Parks and Rec, just a bunch of fanboy speculation with only a feint, tenuous grasp on any sense of reality.

Seriously... the BTHC is going to take on one (or all? really?) of the MAC schools for... what... geography and even numbers?

And can we stop pretending like "smaller school in the same state as a Big Ten school must have some sort of relationship that the Big Ten school cares about" is a thing? Even if UMD being part of the U of Minnesota system brought it any sort of in-road to the Big Ten (which it most certainly does not, and the same goes for Nebraska-Omaha), it's just flat out silly to think that the same sort of privilege (or even a remote sense of influence) would or could apply to Bemidji State, St Cloud State, Minnesota State, Western Michigan, RMU (I had to laugh at this one), and so on and so forth when none of those schools are actually a part of any system containing a Big Ten school.

Seriously, for how much you guys seem to think "oh, they're in-state, that must mean they're a good fit!" holds any water for the BTHC, you'd think we were a bunch of Hockey East fans who think Bentley and their community center rink should join just because they're down the road.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

... and for the record, I don't think the BTHC gives a **** about the MAC.

Okay, fine, there are a fair number of previous relationships, especially in the former CCHA members. And yes, these schools often face each other in non-conference football games. But still... We'd need to see a MACHC before they even bother with any sort of scheduling alliance or challenge cup or anything like that, and for THAT we'd have to see Ohio and Kent State rise from the dead along with (presumably) someone rich giving the ADs at Northern Illinois or Buffalo or wherever a bunch of money to burn.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

If the B1G were to add another affiliate (beyond JHU M/W lax and now NDU hockey) to fill out B1G Hockey to 8 members, my guess it would be someone to appease the western wing of B1G Hockey. Michigan, MSU, OSU, and PSU got their dream affiliate: Our Lady of South Bend (aka NDU).

Minnesota and Wisconsin need something to fill their barns if even for just one weekend. I know how my biases would answer that.
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Big Ten will not pursue Arizona State for hockey

Star Tribune
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Arizona State to the NCHC would be the start of a more western/southwestern hockey conference some day, with ASU, DU, and CC being the core.

I could live with ASU in the NCHC because I've already called dibs on a relative's mini-mansion on the golf course in Gold Canyon any time UND plays ASU hockey.
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                              Mazey was part of the presentation in Tempe in her role as Chair of the WCHA Men's League.
                              That doesn't mean that BGSU's concerns over travel aren't real. BG runs the lowest athletic expenses in the MAC, lower than a whole bunch of conference schools that don't even have DI hockey. That's reeally hard to do.
                              as far as restarting the CCHA...rumors and pipe dreams, even for the Falcon faithful.
                              With that kind of talk... Is there a chance of downsizing to division 2 or some other de-emphasis of sports? I mean, it seems they're "hurting"... Just looking for the general picture.
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                                With that kind of talk... Is there a chance of downsizing to division 2 or some other de-emphasis of sports? I mean, it seems they're "hurting"... Just looking for the general picture.
                                no, no chance of downsizing. BGSU is frugal, not hurting.
                                Falcon hockey is back, and Falcon football is 6th in the nation over the last ten years for "spending/success ratio".

http://www.hustlebelt.com/2016/3/31/...can-conference

but when you're not a P5 school, fielding successful D1 teams across the board demands a special kind of frugal, and BGSU is ****ed good at working it.

[btw, bottom of the MAC table for "spending/success ratio"...Miami State.]
                                Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Working...
                                X