Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-1 Hockey in Canada?

Could be sooner than later.

BURNABY — Theresa Hanson is only four months into her tenure as the new athletic director at Simon Frsser University, yet she has already begun to lay the groundwork for what could be one of the most substantial start-ups in the 51-year history of Clan athletics.

Hanson told The Province on Thursday that SFU is putting togther a plan aimed at bringing an NCAA Div. 1 men’s hockey program to the school.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Re: D-1 Hockey in Canada?

I always wondered why a Canadian school wasn't playing NCAA Division 1 hockey. Canadian teams and American teams play each other at the pro level and have been forever.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
      I always wondered why a Canadian school wasn't playing NCAA Division 1 hockey. Canadian teams and American teams play each other at the pro level and have been forever.
      Naturally it's because of the lack of Canadian ncaa membership.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Naturally it's because of the lack of Canadian ncaa membership.
        This would hold things up
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

SFU "Clan" doesn't sound hostile and abusive. NCAA will welcome that nickname with open arms. Sioux on the other hand... So so hostile
          Originally posted by reBlur
          the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            SFU is a member of the NCAA, and play at the D-II level, including playing the two teams from Alaska so this would be a great thing for D-I hockey. SFU also would be able to recruit many of the top Canadian players from Canadian Tier II who are being recruited now into universities in the States.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              Simon Fraser is already in the NCAA. They're the first and only Canadian school. They play in Division II in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference, the same conference as Alaska and Alaska-Anchorage. Their hockey team is currently a club in the BCIHL. They play in an off campus arena, but they're the major tenant and it's big enough for DI hockey. Since there's no DII tournament, I'm pretty sure NCAA rules would immediately allow SFU to play up in DI if they chose to go varsity.
              Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
              University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

They play at the Copeland Rink which only seats about 1,500 but there are other venues close if the NCAA needed more seating. If it got off the ground it wouldn't be a surprise for SFU to build their own rink. What they have now is more of what would be considered a Club Team in the States, and the League they play in is not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                  Simon Fraser is already in the NCAA. They're the first and only Canadian school. They play in Division II in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference, the same conference as Alaska and Alaska-Anchorage. Their hockey team is currently a club in the BCIHL. They play in an off campus arena, but they're the major tenant and it's big enough for DI hockey. Since there's no DII tournament, I'm pretty sure NCAA rules would immediately allow SFU to play up in DI if they chose to go varsity.
                  The NCAA does. See Legislation #2010-100.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    The NCAA does. See Legislation #2010-100.
                    I am slightly confused about the 2010-100 rule.

But what I can figure, is that they've paid their dues. Legislation 2010-100 states:
                    A requirement that all new Division I members first spend at least five years as active members in Division II
                    And best I can figure:
                    On July 10, 2009 the NCAA approved SFU's bid to join NCAA Division II starting in 2011–12, where SFU intended to compete in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference. However, Canada West, the CIS association the SFU teams were scheduled to play in, issued a probation on all SFU teams for the 2010–11 season, leading to speculation that Clan teams would not have conference to play in. The GNAC admitted SFU one year earlier than planned as a full conference member in time for the 2010–11 season.
                    By my estimation, they've played five years at the D2 level, meeting the first requirement of 2010-100. The only hitch I can find is the SECOND bullet point of 2010-100:
                    New Division I members must have a bona fide offer of membership from a Division I multisport voting conference.
                    So do they have to join Mountain West? or Pac-12? The WCHA and NCHC are not multi-sport conferences.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

As far as I know they can move up a single sport in each gender w/o a bigger change in classification.

Similar to RIT except SF could offer scholarships
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        I am slightly confused about the 2010-100 rule.

But what I can figure, is that they've paid their dues. Legislation 2010-100 states:

And best I can figure:

By my estimation, they've played five years at the D2 level, meeting the first requirement of 2010-100. The only hitch I can find is the SECOND bullet point of 2010-100:

So do they have to join Mountain West? or Pac-12? The WCHA and NCHC are not multi-sport conferences.
                        That's if Simon Fraser wants to be a full Division I athletics program, which is not what the article specified. If SFU decides to go with varsity hockey, they would be eligible for the Division I championship via Rule 20.8.2 (play up when there's no Division II championship). Other than that, the hockey program would still need to follow Division I rules, but there's no transitional period.
                        Michael Napier - UAH '97
                        uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                        U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                        NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                        CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                        CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

I'm not sure if adding Canadian programs would be a logistical nightmare, but I think if they can make it work, it would be a great addition to college hockey. Other than International travel concerns, it couldn't be any worse than going to AK and teams have found ways to make that work.
                          Ryan J
                          Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 04-17-2016, 07:55 PM.
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Each universities NCAA compliance would now be in charge of passports and visas. It would be a once a year thing (potentially twice with playoffs) but could be a huge headache for students and staff if it doesn't go smoothly.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              I'm not sure if adding Canadian programs would be a logistical nightmare, but I think if they can make it work, it would be a great addition to college hockey. Other than International travel concerns, it couldn't be any worse than going to AK and teams have found ways to make that work.
                              Ryan J
                              The biggest downside is that they would presumably end up with UAA and UA(F), which makes the already difficult travel situation for the nWCHA that much worse.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                              X