Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Gophers Off Season thread - 2016

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    On "Beyond the pond" on KFAN, Micheletti claimed he heard it was about 90% Mittlestedt would come in next year. He said he has been talking to Mittlestedt, and Casey hasn't said anything to him about it, but that he heard this was the case from someone else he trusts. He also had a 'gut feeling' (no sources to back it up, just thinks things will change) that Pitlick will change his mind over the summer too. Would be nice to add this kind of potential offense. I just don't see this team, without one, or both of these forwards making huge strides next year. They need more scoring punch.

And thus far, the mass exodus I expected from our main B1G competitor for the title hasn't happened up front.
    With the loss of Fasching, we'll definitely need more scoring depth for next season. Although freshmen typically need time to develop at the D1 level, both Pitlick and Mittlestedt are rising stars that could make a significant contribution for the Gophers. According to this ARTICLE he has accelerated his academics to prepare himself to join the team next season. I hope Pat is right, but it's hard to see Rem Pitlick changing his mind since he stated he was 99% sure he was staying with Muskegon another season.

Re: Minnesota Gophers Off Season thread - 2016

Is the official one?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Is the official one?
      Good point. Maybe I should have added "Official" to dispel all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
        According to this ARTICLE he has accelerated his academics to prepare himself to join the team next season.
        Assuming he's accelerated his studies enough to graduate this Spring what would be the point of him returning to EP for his senior season? Certainly no point from a pure academic standpoint. So you would think his decision will come down to the Gamblers or the Gophers, and I'd give a slight edge to him wearing the Maroon and Gold next season.

Hard to figure why Pitlick is leaning so heavily to playing another year at Muskegon. If he does, but for whatever reason doesn't at least match the spectacular season he just had, what would that do for him? Is this a case of there's not as much to gain as there is to lose? You could probably make a better case for Mittelstadt playing one year of juniors than Pitlick playing a second year.

And SteveO, thanks for starting the "official" off-season thread on a positive note!
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Assuming he's accelerated his studies enough to graduate this Spring what would be the point of him returning to EP for his senior season? Certainly no point from a pure academic standpoint. So you would think his decision will come down to the Gamblers or the Gophers, and I'd give a slight edge to him wearing the Maroon and Gold next season.

Hard to figure why Pitlick is leaning so heavily to playing another year at Muskegon. If he does, but for whatever reason doesn't at least match the spectacular season he just had, what would that do for him? Is this a case of there's not as much to gain as there is to lose? You could probably make a better case for Mittelstadt playing one year of juniors than Pitlick playing a second year.

And SteveO, thanks for starting the "official" off-season thread on a positive note!
          After I watched the interview with Pitlick I thought, ok I guess it's his call. But after thinking about it a bit, I agree it is a puzzling move on his part. He reached a personal milestone as the scoring leader in the USHL by a wide margin leaving little left to prove. I could be wrong here, but I also didn't get the impression from the interview that he had an overwhelming affinity for the Lumberjacks either. My 2 cents is he's 19 years old (April 2) and if he wants to really elevate his game, this is a good time for him to make the move to D1.

Comment

After I watched the interview with Pitlick I thought, ok I guess it's his call. But after thinking about it a bit, I agree it is a puzzling move on his part. He reached a personal milestone as the scoring leader in the USHL by a wide margin leaving little left to prove. I could be wrong here, but I also didn't get the impression from the interview that he had an overwhelming affinity for the Lumberjacks either. My 2 cents is he's 19 years old (April 2) and if he wants to really elevate his game, this is a good time for him to make the move to D1.
            One speculation on GPL is he is hoping for a coach change at MN. I'm not saying I buy that, just reporting it. He's still pretty young and just put on 20 pounds in a year. Could be he just wants another year so he comes in as good as possible. Conner had pretty big numbers for 2 years before he went to Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
              One speculation on GPL is he is hoping for a coach change at MN. I'm not saying I buy that, just reporting it. He's still pretty young and just put on 20 pounds in a year. Could be he just wants another year so he comes in as good as possible. Conner had pretty big numbers for 2 years before he went to Michigan.
              I consider a 'hope for a coaching change' to be a long shot. I'd consider 'concern that a soft prior year in the USHL might replicate itself at D1' and even 'the likelihood of a plan B for his career for other reasons' to be more likely. Kids at that age are more likely thinking of teammates, ice time and whether they'll win.

I'd rather Rem and Casey come in this year. The way I see it...if it gives a bit of a chance that Casey stays an extra year, I'll take it. And in both case, I expect we'll have some good recruits lined up for when either is ready to leave. In other words, a next year without either of these guys is worse than 3-4 years from now adding a new set of what should be pretty good recruits. I have faith in our ability to fill the pipeline with quality kids by then.

Also, having a Rem and Casey on the ice this year should help the team look better in terms of both Ws and star power...which can't hurt future recruiting. Many selfish reasons to hope they're on board this year.
              Last edited by 5mn_Major; 04-13-2016, 10:09 AM.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Several Minnesotans, Gophers recruits rated NHL draft's top prospects
                http://www.startribune.com/several-m...cts/375423721/

Comment

How many of those top 50 are BU players and recruits? I know the argument of NHL and college aren't the same, but how many first-rounders didn't perform at college level? Things look brighter in future, but I would love to see a first or high second rounder every year on the MN list, with others filling out the rest. UND did well this year with the 'high end approach' versus the ECAC approach of wait and take older, late developing players. Either way, you gotta get lucky with some guys.

Comment

Love how in the article they define "top" as top 100 so they could include Gophers in the headline.

BU may have four first round picks (Krys has fallen). If they win it all next year and all leave, as a fan I'd be fine with that. If they don't win it all it sucks but they are set to reload basically every year.

Comment

Can't wait to see it in person when it's all done!

Gophers unveil new renderings of Mariucci Arena renovations
                      http://www.startribune.com/gophers-u...ons/375738321/

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                        Love how in the article they define "top" as top 100 so they could include Gophers in the headline.
                        Love how you can't move fast enough to be a killjoy.

Comment

Surprised at the low ranking for Schierhorn. I thought he had a good not great, FR season. Jurusik (Badgers) > Schierhorn.

Comment

Surprised at the low ranking for Schierhorn. I thought he had a good not great, FR season. Jurusik (Badgers) > Schierhorn.
                            Yes, hard to believe there are 25 goalies in this draft year who are ranked higher.

Comment

Yes, hard to believe there are 25 goalies in this draft year who are ranked higher.
                              Especially since Schierhorn was voted the Big Ten Goaltender of the Year. Putting Jurusik well ahead of him is very surprising and to me shows the scouting bias that often part of the NHL ranking process.

Comment

Working...
                              X